Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: Understanding Your Gifts and Strengths from the MBTI (Discussion 2)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-
Hello Leadership Crew!

I have just gone through the introduction thread and read about all of you. If you havent yet introduced yourself, then please stop by and share a little about yourself so we can get to know you. Im encouraged by all the great people that have joined. This should be a fun and enriching program!

Let me first zoom back and talk more broadly about your career and how we can help. When you become a leader on 7 Cups, we want you to find the work fulfilling. Fulfilling work means that it is:

a) work you are good at;
b) work that is interesting to you; and
c) work that solves an important problem or meets an important goal (Thiel, 2015).

The sweet spot is that blue area in the middle below.

Work Alignment Diagram

If you do work that you are good at, but not interested in, then you wont do a great job. If you do work that you are interested in, but not particularly good at, then it wont be great work. If you do work that you are good at and interested in, but it isnt helping to solve an important problem, then we wont be a good fit for you. We need alignment on all 3 things. We work very hard at the beginning of your work with us to match your inherent strengths and interests with needs we have so that we can work together to solve problems that we all care about.

You have strengths â things that you are just really good at when compared with others. Operating out of your strengths feels good, is personally fulfilling, and enables you to hit flow states. As a result, you are much more effective and productive. Operating out of weaknesses is a drain. If you have to do work that you are not good at, then you wont be as effective. Doubling down on your strengths enables you to level up much faster and it helps 7 Cups make much more progress. Â

The next step becomes helping you find ways to identify your strengths, gifts or natural talents. You can learn some of this through self-observation - what do you seem especially good at? Are there things that just come natural to you that are more challenging for others? My wife, for example, is really good at writing; it just comes natural to her. Im pretty good at public speaking, whereas others find it more challenging.

Another way is to ask people you trust. You can say: What do you think Im good at? Or: what do you think are my top 1-3 strengths? Things that stand out to you about me? Note: only ask people you trust because sometimes people can give you feedback in a harmful rather than helpful way especially if they are not trustworthy.

For the purposes of this course, we are going to use personality tests to help you identify your strengths. Some of these are better than others; they are more reliable and have more research behind them. Broadly, we are using them here to help you begin to map out your strengths and to help you find ways where you can naturally excel here on 7 Cups, in your personal life, and in whatever career your are in or choose further down the road.

To start:

Go to this site here and take the test: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Next, in the thread below, answer the following questions:

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please Â

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself?

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

Last, when people interact with one another, it makes the course more enriching and it allows us to learn more about one another. In addition to posting in the thread, please also be sure to respond in a helpful and positive way to at least 3 other comments in this thread.

You can also ask any questions in this thread and well respond to them as well.

Very excited to kick this off with all of you!

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

Chevy81 November 19th, 2020

@Skyy0 if you were asked (that I am doing right now), which career path would you prefer to take?

Skyy0 November 20th, 2020

@Chevy81

I feel very much like a diamond in the rough...there must be alot of digging first, until I can see what makes me shine. I'm in my "hibernating" phase at the moment...because going back to school to get a masters just seems too "set" and not "right" to me; I could study psychology if I wanted to go into counseling, but not right now...I just know I like helping people and feel settled and useful in my part time retail job (I'm in my 20s so I think it's fine I'm still figuring it out).

Chevy81 November 21st, 2020

@Skyy0

Digging and exploring many things to see and find things that make you shine is a really good plan! I like how you take your time of "hibernating" and not rushing yourself to make an important decision like this. Also, I love how you have found your passion in helping people and feel being useful with your current job. Doesn't it feel good to have a job that we love doing and enjoy, yes? I wish you all the best in every process and progress in your journey. And in case, you think that discussing this matter or about anything else might help, please do not hesitate to message me.

Stay safe and take care.

Skyy0 November 21st, 2020

@Chevy81

I appreciate you!

Chevy81 November 19th, 2020

1. What is your personality type?
Mine is Turbulent Defender (ISFJ-T)

Actually, there were many things I've learned from this personality test. It amazed me how these things precisely describe how I am and do. And if I had to choose which ones, well I'd try. Here it is:

"avoid risky or unpredictable situations" - I do not like unpredictable things, even a surprise party for me, that would make me very uncomfortable.

"don’t give up quickly when faced with difficult problems" - somehow difficult problem challenges me to find solutions. I can get easily curious by these kind of things.

"often the types who quietly clean up other people’s messes" - yes! I do like cleaning up my son's and/or husband's messy desks. I can't stop wondering how they could working in such a messy place.

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

Supportive - I do love sharing my knowledge, experience, time and energy to whom needed it. Especially, the ones who asked me. But, I could be hesitated if I didn't get sign(s) of "affirmation". And if that's the case, I would delay or even cancel what I wanted to share.

Reliable and Patient - When I have started a task, I usually couldn't stop doing it, not until it was completed. If I had to postpone it (in case of another urgent matters), I could manage but I might be having trouble sleeping :p

Imaginative and Observant - Observing people and things have become one of my favorite things. I don't really know how doing this can amuse me. But people often get surprised because I could mention little details about themselves or memories.

SnailPurple November 19th, 2020

@GlenM

INFJ

My intuition is more than just anxiety

3. What
are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Creativity, insightfulness, and principle

ItsZaylee November 20th, 2020

INFP-T

these were quite accurate and i sort of knew half of it. but it made me realize some things i was doubting before. i can do more things i thought i could, now i feel like i can do things i was afraid of

open minded, caring and hard worker

Destiny00 November 21st, 2020

@ItsZaylee

Its great to know that now you are enthusiastic about things you were afraid before. All the best 😊

sensitiveSailboat November 25th, 2020

@ItsZaylee I am also an infp.

Destiny00 November 21st, 2020

Hi everyone,

So here are my answers😊

1- My personality type is advocate INFJ-A

2-There wasn't a lot to learn about myself in that article because I was aware of all those traits in me but the amazing fact was, I never thought my feelings' and ideas are valid. This article helped me to validate myself. I used to be so uncomfortable around my friends and family ,because no one used to relate with me and now I know the reason behind it (I have the rarest personality). Thus feeling ultra special right now xD.

3 - According to this test my top 3 strengths are

A) Creative - I never had any formal training in writing poems or art and crafts or any other stuff apart from academics and dance, but still I used to beat every trained artist at my school when it came to creativity, even my parents gets shocked sometimes how creatively I solve some problems and in lcr too I sometime show my sparkles of creativity playing some out of the box games (do join sometime when you are free🤭🤭)

B) Insightful- well this quality of mine was a great shock to mysel as well initially. I had no clue how but I just get to see things beneath the surface which usually no one sees or seems to notice. I had to do a lot of research regarding this sphere of mine so at least I can tell myself that I am sane and all those research lead me to the conclusion that I am an empath thus can hear the unsaid, see the unseen and feel the unexpected. 💫

C) Altruistic- this defines me to a great extent. I really reject the idea of using people for personal gain or happiness and don't let others to do so as well. And I rarely say something to someone without analysing how would have I felt if someone had said such to me? Its not just humans but for nature too. If I see someone hurting an animal let it be some school guys throwing water on street dogs or my sister blocking the path of ants I do stop by to ask them the question "hey, how would you feel if I do the same to you?" And make them realise that they too have feelings like us so don't play with it. I am a strong believer of karma, thus never try to do things which I cant entertain later

Thanks for reading, have a nice time ahead☺

GlitteringNights November 27th, 2020

@Destiny00

Hi! We got almost the same type (I'm INFJ-T). I'm so thrilled for you that the quiz helped you feel validated. That's so, so awesome. I'm glad that you were able to have that experience with it all <3

Destiny00 November 27th, 2020

@GlitteringNights

Thank youuuuuuu🥰🥰🥰

giggleSun1695 November 22nd, 2020

My personality type is INTJ-A.

I learned that the type of personality I have is on the rarer side and that the perfect description of how I perceive life: a chess game. For instance, I've always known that I am keener to think things out, however, the test was able to verbalize the importance I place on strategy. However, although things like knowledge may be high up on importance, social life is also something I keep in mind.

My top 3 strengths were being rational where every situation is taken as an opportunity to gain more knowledge. THen second was informed, where most conclusions are made from research and thorough analysis to provide self-assurance. While the third is independent, where conforming to society is not of utmost importance.

TaranWanderer November 23rd, 2020

@giggleSun1695 wow, seeing life as a chess game and utilizing strategy sounds really interesting, I think it's a great metaphor! It's good to be able to look at things from a bigger picture and plan ahead what would be the best move

TaranWanderer November 23rd, 2020

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please.
INFJ-T - Advocate

I can definitely relate to the ability to be burnt out easily, or becoming frustrated when that's usually not like me, because I'm so focused on others. Self care is still something I'm working towards being better at. I can also relate to needing a "mission" in my life or not feeling okay with just the ordinary, needing something bigger to work towards. Not in a fantastical "extraordinary" way, but more in a needing a purpose kind of way.

Creative - drawing on your imagination and strong sense of compassion to find solutions
Insightful - not judging things based on surface level, but being able to understand a person's inner motivations, feelings, and needs
Principled - having deeply held beliefs and strong convictions

@TaranWanderer

Hey! We've got the same MBTI type. It was really accurate, wasn't it? I found that it's been one of the more accurate personality tests out there, what did you think?

LoveTracker November 25th, 2020

@GlenM

ISFJ

I am assertive, observant and partially introvert.

I am more of loving myself person.

I see all possibilities to help people.

I am observant

Duckswithmoose November 26th, 2020

@GlenM

1. What is your personality type? INFP-T

2. What were the main things you learned about yourself? I am a value-driven idealist. I tend to follow my heart rather than my mind when making important decisions, and achieving harmony rather than confontation is how I like to approach difficult situations.

3. What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them. I am thoughtful, generous, and open-minded. I care deeply about the feelings of others, and I exude kindness and tolerance. Others tend to come first, if I can help it.

Dazzle28purvi November 26th, 2020

@GlenM

ENFJ-T (Protagonist)

It clarified that I am someone who will set tough goals and do everything possible to achieve them but it is unrealistic (overly idealistic). I may have the discipline to push myself far but I should set realistic goals.

I learnt that I do end up making other people's problems my own and do my best to solve them.

I dont like to dissappoint others.

Whatever I do or say affects others, so I should be wise when i act.

Reliable - I will do everything possible to make something work and I will push myself beyond my limits for a cause.

Charismatic - If things are going downhill, I know how to hit the right points by motivating my teammates. I can be optimistic and positive and so it brings a whole set of reasons why we should continue on our path despite the obstacles. I believe obstacles or challenges are opportunities in disguise. We are on one path but there are different ways on going about it.

Altruistic- We can work together to make things work. It takes one voice to connect a whole chain of other voices, and with more voices the stronger we are.

@Dazzle28purvi

Reliability, Charisma and alrtuism are awesome strengths to have!! Sounds like you learnt a lot from the quiz, go you!!

@GlenM

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please

INFJ-T

I've done this test previously so I was super curious to see if I got the same result — I did! It's been ages since I've thought about it though, so I got some reminders about the fact of how much I value authenticity and deeper conversations, rather than keeping to the surface. Also was reminded of my tendency to burn out because of perfectionism, which is definitely something I need to work on!

Creative: INFJs enjoy looking for the best solutions and so use their imaginations to guide them and work out how best to do things

Insightful: INFJs try to look past the surface level appearances to get to the centre of the matter, or of people, or of a situation

Principled: INFJs tend to have really strong beliefs that are very firmly held

Containedchaos December 2nd, 2020

@GlitteringNights

I too have taken the test several times and it was all the same except I am older and not more introverted. There is a lot of value in authenticity and deep conversations, deep conversations seem to fill the cup. I love that you are insightful; insightful people are much needed in meetings and such so decisions can be made a bit more quickly.

KACOSMIC November 29th, 2020

@GlenM

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please  .

My personality type is:
Turbulent Mediator/INFP-T

I learned that sometimes in many situations even without realizing I tend to follow my heart and emotions than reason and i often become excessive in my concern for others. I'm are much more flexible when it comes to dealing with unexpected challenges and this flexibility helps me seize unexpected opportunities as well.
I always feel the need to do more, to have more, and to be more but i can be caught up in endless thoughts of criticisms, slights, or regrets and this can bog me down or motivate me to do better.

Strengths:
Thoughtful, I care about others feelings and I tend to adjust my actions if I think that I may have hurt someone even unintentionally.

Open-Minded, I'm tolerant about others peoples beliefs, lifestyle and decisions and I believe that people can live the way they want to live and do whatever they want to do, as long no one is being hurt.

Creative, I often see things from an unconventional perspective and my capacity to make surprising and unexpected connections it’s no wonder that I'm drawn to creative and pursuits to arts.

@KACOSMIC

We are twinsies!! smiley

Being thoughtful, open-minded and creative are great strenthgs to have. heart

@GlenM

What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please Â

Mediator-INFP-T

What were the main things you learned about yourself?

I have taken this test several times for work or school. I have always gotten E-Extrovert (ENFP), but close points to Introvert. I have not taken this in probably 10 years, and I am a strong introvert this time around; however, the same in all other areas. This is accurate as I like spending time alone and fill my energy recharged spending time alone.

How it described me was pretty accurate and weaknesses I have worked on and still must keep in mind. I avoided criticism and feedback and the last decade I seek constructive criticism and find it helpful. I also avoid conflict but have gotten a lot better at being okay with conflict, most of the time. I think it comes with my job and practice.

“…a career that doesn’t just take care of the bills but also feels fulfilling. They want to spend their days doing something they genuinely love, preferably without too much stress or drama. For these personalities, an ideal professional life should feel like a calling, not just a job.”

This statement really stuck out and I laughed. My current career is one listed on the list of jobs a mediator may find themselves doing. I do love my job, but like it said about mediators, we do not like bureaucracy or a job with drama.

I can say it was accurate, a few minor things that were not, such as “not being a social butterfly at work.” I do appreciate the strengths and weakness, the weakness I can see how being aware of these we can strengthen them.

What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

Thoughtful-Mediators are thoughtful and kind to others.

Generous-Mediators are big on equality and believe everyone voices and thoughts are heard.

Open-Minded-Mediators give people the benefit of the doubt. We are tolerant of other people’s beliefs, choices, and cultures. “Mediators support others’ right to live as they see fit – as long as no one is being hurt.”

sia1325 December 2nd, 2020

What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please Â

ISFP-T .

What were the main things you learned about yourself?

I learned that Adventures are great at exploring and experiencing new things and I really think that's true. Also I am a very open person and can act with amazing charity and selflessness but can be a little self-centered as well.

What are your top 3 strengths or gifts according to this test? Please describe them.

Charming: likable, relaxed and warm.

Sensitive to others: can easily relate to others’ emotions and help them to establish harmony.

Imaginative: highly aware of others emotions and use insight and creativity to create confident ideas.

thehealingmaat December 2nd, 2020

@sia1325 That's really cool! I wonder what kind of adventures you've been on?

Ines1229 December 8th, 2020

@sia1325

I`m ISFP-T as well <3

Ines1229 December 8th, 2020

Oh no, I`m INFP-T... well, quite close, right? haha

generousBreeze169 February 4th, 2021

@sia1325 I have the same personality type!! It's awesome to be honest and I'm sure you're a great person!

lucywormie February 11th, 2021

@sia1325 your personality type sounds really cool! your top 3 traits must make you a great listener! :)

wonderfulKermitKaTy February 22nd, 2021

@sia1325 That's great you seem to have potential to go great things with having both imagination and adventourous nature.

jinlatte March 29th, 2021

@sia1325

I love how one of your strength is that you can easily relate to others’ emotions and help them to establish harmony! It's something that I want to be good at too! Take care heart

00Michelle00 January 26th, 2022
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas A. Edison
thehealingmaat December 2nd, 2020

1. What is your personality type? Include your 4 letters please.

INFJ-A

I learned that sensitivity and burnout can be triggering for me.

My strengths are:

Creativity - which is supported by my abilities as an art and yoga therapist!

Insight - to look beyond physical perceptions and target invisible intentions

Devotion - finding the meaning in things and focus on thriving rather than surviving

Sunflower78652 December 7th, 2020

@thehealingmaat

These strengths are amazing!!!

And you are an arts and yoga therapist 😍 wow I always wanted to learn more abt art therapy ❤️

generousBreeze169 February 4th, 2021

@thehealingmaat I do relate to the burnouts part tho. But those traits backed up with real life experiences is fantastic

lucywormie February 11th, 2021

@thehealingmaat hey! you're an infj? when I meet infjs theyre often so sweet plus I like the way you linked one of your strengths in with yourself! an arts and yoga therapist sounds amazing!

JordanPeraltaa February 11th, 2021

@thehealingmaat

This is sounds so awesome, and accurate considering you re pursuing the arts.

I wish you so much success in the field!

December 7th, 2020

@GlenM

My personality type:
Advocate
INFJ-A

What I learned about myself:
I often find it difficult to open up about me and my struggles. I learned that how it can affect my relationships. [I have started on that area already though.] I am a person who likes perfectionist. I used to think that it is a good trait but, I learned that because this trait I can find it hard to appericiate my jobs, relationship, and the situations of my life. It is true that I always get trapped in trying to fix things which always gets me frustrated. The helped me see a clear vision of ths things I have been trying to "fix". And I am looking forward to work on them.

My Top 3 Strengths:
Creativity:
I enjoy finding perfect solution for people. I have a great sense of compassion and imagination.

Open-Mindedness:
I am open to learning new things and discussing about any topic. My open-mindedness gives me a better sense of understanding and judgement.

Principled:
I hold really deep and strong beliefs. Which makes me an inspring communicator and I believe that it makes me stand out.