Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: The Big 5 (Discussion 3)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 1, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

Hello Leadership Crew!

I am having a blast with you all. This leadership program is a lot of fun and Im glad we are doing it. I think itll help across many fronts. Shout out to @aleks2 and @quietmagic for their help looking at the first batch of results on our leadership composition. ÃÂ

Here is a summary:

zIJtYFhsT176H3HLbLj6r3sKUo-Ru8swR4o1QUYkGs94i_8U719UfL1Z2MZoZlqsrAGJJTDxvuwFaV0BMwAMvBtABkLhUNYh2UWdI5yMoD4AC5zfx1fzNJhBspbOrQlLUIS90VeF

Here is a summary from @quietmagic on what our collective - all of us together - strengths and weaknesses might be:

Leadership Crew Strengths:

Altruism/motivation: Having a deep passion for helping people that drives all we do and creates a feeling of purpose and meaning

Idealism: Having inspiring dreams and visions of just how unbelievably powerful and beneficial this site can be: imagining all of the good we might be able to create, all of the suffering we might be able to help heal

Kindness: Being able to create a kind, cooperative, culture that is gentle and considerate with people's feelings

Compassion: Being able to understand, connect with, and feel an urgency to resolve the needs, concerns, or problems of the people that we serve

Relationship: Feeling a yearning for deep, meaningful connections with others, creating a community where people are able to be authentic and feel a sense of belongingness

Leadership Crew Weaknesses

Practical implementation: Developing and optimizing systems, managing the fine details for concretely achieving our broad goals

Risk-taking: Being willing to take risks or make drastic changes to existing systems/practices where needed

The above analysis feels/seems right to me. This new leadership program in fact can be seen as one way that we are attempting to address a growth area by optimizing our leadership systems! And, zooming back, if there was going to be a team of people that was going to try to pull off the impossible (a free emotional support system), then I think itd be with the leadership composition described above under strengths. Itll take a lot of optimism and kindness to make this a reality!

Okay, lets transition to the next exercise and discussion.

Begin by taking the Big 5 test and answering the following questions. You can also read more on the Big 5 here ÃÂ and below.

1. What were the main things you learned about yourself?

2. What are your top 3 strengths according to this test?

3. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personal life?

4. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in a leadership role on 7 Cups and in your career?

8V0vw3BQYtUJ2RbDJwYaBitIMfAo3N0ZcNJzngJZjc2ZfX8wNX9BoSlPd2yTaIob5fSS5cNTEMF_ANDyrwsKvBgQhaHcv7NcAE3Uj_WXJs6XuMz7cPe6Xii5swDZufxYnCjcVFAsKH8

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

PigfaceMcGee513 July 14th, 2020

@GlenM

great stuff.

friendlyHeart6114 July 15th, 2020

@GlenM

Amazing stuff

DylanletterR July 30th, 2020

@GlenM

1. I am very mindful and anxious

2. I am agreeable, conscientious, and open minded

3. By knowing these strengths I know what type of person I am, and even though they are my strengths, where I could make changes

4. In a 7 Cups role this can help me by easily being able to work with others.

StargirlTina June 1st, 2021

@DylanletterR I'm so glad you found out more about your strengths and weaknesses!

TheGoodHeartedBuddy September 5th, 2021

@DylanletterR
I got some similar results! You seem to have an awesome character.

azuladragon34 July 9th, 2020

@GlenM

These are my results:

What aspects of personality does this tell me about?

There has been much research on how people describe others, and five major dimensions of human personality have been found. They are often referred to as the OCEAN model of personality, because of the acronym from the names of the five dimensions. Here are your results:

Open-Mindedness High scorers tend to be original, creative, curious, complex; Low scorers tend to be conventional, down to earth, narrow interests, uncreative. You prefer traditional and familiar experiences. (Your percentile: 7)
Conscientiousness High scorers tend to be reliable, well-organized, self-disciplined, careful; Low scorers tend to be disorganized, undependable, negligent. You are neither organized or disorganized. (Your percentile: 53)
Extraversion High scorers tend to be sociable, friendly, fun loving, talkative; Low scorers tend to be introverted, reserved, inhibited, quiet. You are extremely outgoing, social, and energetic. (Your percentile: 86)
Agreeableness High scorers tend to be good natured, sympathetic, forgiving, courteous; Low scorers tend to be critical, rude, harsh, callous. You find it easy to criticize others. (Your percentile: 1)
Negative Emotionality High scorers tend to be nervous, high-strung, insecure, worrying; Low scorers tend to be calm, relaxed, secure, hardy. You tend to become anxious or nervous. (Your percentile: 61)

The strengths that I identified will help me with my career in 7cups as I will be able to help others whereas in my personal life it will hopefully allow me to engage with others

Heather225 July 17th, 2020

@azuladragon34

Did any of these results surprise you as something you didn't know about yourself?

azuladragon34 July 17th, 2020

@Heather225

Yes. I didn't know I can get anxious and nervous easily

wonderfulKermitKaTy February 22nd, 2021

@azuladragon34 you are a really out going person, that's great.

@azuladragon34 Thank you so much for the detailed analysis..It is really helpful🧡 hope you're doing good!

@azuladragon34
I like how organized you were with your respoinse! It's awesome!

July 14th, 2020

@GlenM

On Openness, I scored at the 90th percentile, meaning that I enjoy having novel experiences and seeing things in new ways.
On Conscientiousness, I scored at the 25th percentile, meaning that I tend to do things somewhat haphazardly.
On Extraversion, I scored at the 9th percentile, meaning that I probably enjoy spending quiet time alone.
On Agreeableness, I scored at the 58th percentile, meaning that I am neither extremely forgiving nor irritable.
On Neuroticism, I scored at the 96th percentile, meaning that I am a generally anxious person and tend to worry about things.

After taking this test, I do not think that I have necessarily learned anything new, but have confirmed my previous ideas of my own personality and strengths and weaknesses as a person. I was not much surprised on my high score on the Neuroticism trait, as I have recognized that anxiety and worry play a dominant part in my life. I was a bit intrigued by how my Openness score was so high however, as I have found that as an introvert and generally anxious person, I have tended to stray away from exploring the world around me, preferring to stay in my own bubble.

I think my top 3 strengths on this test lie in my openness, my ability to be flexible to new opinions and ideas that I may come across; my agreeableness, on which I scored in the middle, which I interpret to mean that I am willing to be forgiving of others, but not to the point of being walked over, and know when to draw the line; and finally, while I scored high on the neuroticism trait, one benefit that arises from the worry and anxiety is a sharp attention to detail and ensuring that the work that I put out is of the top quality.

3. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in your personal life?
In my personal life, the strengths that I identified on both tests enable me to be kind and caring to everyone that I come across, seeking to bring out the good in them while also pushing them to be the best version of themselves that I think they can be.

4. How can the strengths you identified on both tests help you in a leadership role on 7 Cups and in your career?
On 7 Cups, these strengths enable me to put out the best quality work that I can, and be focused on the ultimate goal of improving the site and community through my efforts. With regards to working with others as a leader, I think my strengths allow me to see the best in others and work to bring that out, while also making sure to help them improve in areas where they may struggle. As well, in my future career, I think the similar theme of high quality work and effort can be repeated, as well as a focus on making a difference through my work.

Ivy 🐑

QuietMagic July 16th, 2020

@IvyL I appreciate what you've said about worry/anxiety being helpful in some situations, e.g. worrying about quality and having that be a driving force for working to improve quality. Slightly smiling

@IvyL

"I was a bit intrigued by how my Openness score was so high however, as I have found that as an introvert and generally anxious person, I have tended to stray away from exploring the world around me, preferring to stay in my own bubble."

I scored similarly in this area. I am very introverted too, but I think when it comes to 7 Cups, passion can really take you outside of your bubble, and from what I have noticed from the times I've seen and chatted with you, you are comfortable here, and I think that will help you greatly in confidently navigating this platform as a leader. <3

thisisirene March 23rd, 2021

@VioletVenom Same with the time alone!

@Lysandra Loved your reply! You have an amazing way of expressing your thoughts.. I'm glad you're a part of the 7cups family🧡

I hope you learned a lot about yourself! I did too!

July 14th, 2020

I learnt that I am more disorganized than I used to believe. I am more critical about others and myself, which changes my mood more often than I like.

I am open minded-That helps in creativity and innovation.
I am Ambivert- That allows me to socialize when needed and be steady when alone.
I am critical- It's not necessarily a bad thing. It helps me see where things can be improved.

Being a logician or debater in personal life brings challenges to connect with people around. Being said that, it helps me be self-dependent and solve problems efficiently.
The second test made me realize of how balanced I am. My high O balanced my Low C. E was mid-value. My Low A Balanced my high N. It enforces my belief of living/achieving a balanced life.

Being a Visionary, Analyser, and Problem-Solver enables me to be ideally in a leadership or an entrepreneurial role.

Grace8402 July 15th, 2020

@DonaldDraper

Being a visionary, analyser and problem solver seems very impressive! 👍

July 15th, 2020

@Grace8402

Thanks, Grace :)

@DonaldDraper you really have an balanced veiw on things. Can you tell me what proffesions interest you as I am very curious to know, seeing your results ?

February 22nd, 2021

@wonderfulKermitKaTy Thanks for asking Kermit. I would say things that involve brainstorming and creativity. So that's Engineering, Advertising/Marketing, Data Analysis, Product Design, etc.

thisisirene March 23rd, 2021

@DonaldDraper Same with the open minded part!

March 24th, 2021

@thisisirene hi5 Grinning

Prachi9876 September 2nd, 2021

@DonaldDraper
great work at finding strengths

PeaceLoveandPaws July 14th, 2020

@GlenM

I learned that I am a protagonist personality and, as such, I am a natural born leader according to this test. Learning that made me understand a bit more about why people in my personal and professional life look to me. As the quote says, "Everything you do right now ripples outward and affects everyone. Your posture can shine your heart or transmit anxiety. Your breath can radiate love or muddy the room in depression. Your glance can awaken joy. Your words can inspire freedom. Your every act can open hearts and minds." As a diplomat, it confirmed that I set higher standards for myself than I would set for others, which can be a positive and a negative, I think. This test gave a name to my personality traits. In most aspects, it was spot on with the way I live and the way I conduct myself.

Tolerant – Protagonists are true team players, and they recognize that that means listening to other peoples opinions, even when they contradict their own. They admit they dont have all the answers, and are often receptive to dissent, so long as it remains constructive.

Reliable – The one thing that galls Protagonists the most is the idea of letting down a person or cause they believe in. If its possible, Protagonists can always be counted on to see it through.

Charismatic – Charm and popularity are qualities Protagonists have in spades. They instinctively know how to capture an audience, and pick up on mood and motivation in ways that allow them to communicate with reason, emotion, passion, restraint – whatever the situation calls for. Talented imitators, Protagonists are able to shift their tone and manner to reflect the needs of the audience, while still maintaining their own voice.

Recognizing that I don't have all the answers is a strength in my personal life because it lends itself to learning and personal growth. I'm not quick to judge and I think people are drawn to that part of me. For example, I am relatively new at my job but I know a lot about my co-workers. They seem to see in me a person they can confide in and trust. Being reliable is a real asset of mine. My word is my bond and I feel pride in knowing that is a core value of mine and a trait others can see in me. I've always been a people person and a peacekeeper; both of which have helped me tremendously in my chosen career in social work.

Tolerance makes me a good listener. It means I can listen to what is being said and accept those things that may not vibe with my own views and values. I think it makes me more open minded and drives my desire to learn more about the world and learn more about myself.

Reliability is ingrained in my heart. If I say I'll be there or that I will help, I will do everything within my power to honor that commitment. My word is my honor and it means a great deal to me to honor my commitments.

Being a diplomatic personality, I strive to make everyone feel heard and included. I have a take charge personality but it is inclusive in that everyone gets the opportunity to give input and feel good about what we, as a team, have accomplished.

As for my career at 7 Cups, I think I have a can do spirit, a willingness to volunteer, and desire to make changes that are inclusive of everyone's needs.

PeaceLoveandPaws July 14th, 2020

Open-Mindedness High scorers tend to be original, creative, curious, complex; Low scorers tend to be conventional, down to earth, narrow interests, uncreative.

You enjoy having novel experiences and seeing things in new ways. (Your percentile: 84)

Conscientiousness High scorers tend to be reliable, well-organized, self-disciplined, careful; Low scorers tend to be disorganized, undependable, negligent.

You are very well-organized, and can be relied upon. (Your percentile: 94)

Extraversion High scorers tend to be sociable, friendly, fun loving, talkative; Low scorers tend to be introverted, reserved, inhibited, quiet.

You are relatively social and enjoy the company of others. (Your percentile: 61)

Agreeableness High scorers tend to be good natured, sympathetic, forgiving, courteous; Low scorers tend to be critical, rude, harsh, callous.

You are good-natured, courteous, and supportive. (Your percentile: 82)

Negative Emotionality High scorers tend to be nervous, high-strung, insecure, worrying; Low scorers tend to be calm, relaxed, secure, hardy.

You are generally relaxed. (Your percentile: 36)

What I learned about myself is that I am a bit more extroverted than I would have guessed myself to be. As for the other scores, this is where I imagine myself to be. In my professional life (7Cups included) I am highly organized and conscious of what I do and say. I take a great deal of pride in being detail oriented, consistent, level headed, and reliable. In my personal life, that level of organization drives my family a little crazy. I do find that, in many ways, I am relaxed about life and comfortable being exactly who I am.

@PeaceLoveandPaws

This would all explain why you are already doing well in your current roles. I think if you continue to harness these strengths you'll really evolve here, and in your personal life! Excited to learn more about you through this program!

PeaceLoveandPaws July 17th, 2020

@Heather225

Thank you Heather.

lyricalAngel70 July 16th, 2020

@PeaceLoveandPaws

Impressive strengths. 👌🏻

Best wishes.

September 11th, 2020

that really sounds like u . It been. A total honor to see you grow and learn . I am see thoses traits in you. @PeaceLoveandPaws

@PeaceLoveandPaws You have the traits of a great listener. Tolerance is a great virtue. Can you tell me about how you thought about your characters before and after these tests.

PeaceLoveandPaws February 22nd, 2021

@wonderfulKermitKaTy

I think I've always known who I am on some level. This test gave me the opportunity to set back and self evaluate.

wonderfulKermitKaTy February 23rd, 2021

@PeaceLoveandPaws that's great that you are aware of your strengths.

Rebekah July 14th, 2020

1. I learned that I'm pretty introverted and that I hate social situations (very true!). I'm open to any and all new experiences and love a lot of quiet time.

2. Being open to new things, as well as being a strong leader and having a general positive outlook.

3. I feel as though they can help me to be more of myself, and to perhaps over time gain confidence in my works.

4. As someone who holds strong leadership qualities, I feel as though I'd be able to lead my team and make it successful.

shiningDay80 July 16th, 2020

@RebekahRebel

We are similar in that we are open to new things. Depending on the social situation, I can handle some. I tend to get overwhelmed when it gets too crowded though, and I hate going places by myself!

@RebekahRebel

We introverts can be awesome leaders! And having that open-mindedness is going to get you far!

Given that you occupy leadership roles currently, I am curious: where do you see yourself going on the site? Like, ideally, if you visualize your perfect place as a leader here, where do you see yourself?

Rebekah July 17th, 2020

@Heather225

That's a very simple question though it has a possibly complex answer!

I think that my absolute ideal picture-perfect place would be to co-lead a quality team. Listener quality is such an important factor to our site and it'd be an honour to be able to co-lead a team. Maybe even to become an Ambassador! However, if that were to never happen, I'd be more than comfortable to continue on the path I'm on right now.

GlenM OP July 14th, 2020

@GlenM cohort tag list:
@LeonZz @chloe678 @velvetskies04 @warmsunset7928 @smilingsnapples @youwillbefine31 @Ashvillium @KrabbyPatty1 @ashlyntheordinary @Blissfulspace6911 @plushPeace81 @kirsteng123 @Cheryl113 @JaneAH87 @WonderfulRainbows2862 @glisteningEyes @QuietMagic @BeautifulMasterpiece @Olivia210 @Bouncyfriend13 @Yourstruly2000 @pamharley003 @Olivia210 @pigfacemcgee513 @relaxSea @biglung123 @lovelyplumeria @SofiaT2000 @PhoenixG@amiablePond7294 @AstronomySkies @Darkstatic007 @iamvisveish @Migrainewarrior @softmusic9759 @CheeryMango @azuladragon34 @DayDreamWithYou @Irena0225 @mintChocolate21 @SoulfullyAButterfly @dkwhat @bazzyalg @dpopkin @JennMarie2 @MistyMagic @sunflower2480 @frankkplum @Beaconx @DylanletterR @jess712004 @MonicaQu @sunshineEars619 @friendlyheart6114 @bestBraveheart57 @enigmaticOasis2260 @JLo98 @Mubaip @SushiSunshine @Grace8402 @bigHeart71 @Erato @Justlikemellie @Nadiya23 @Sventek @HealthPsychologist @bigheartedhelper @eshas @KindMoment86 @Nate73 @tatilight @IvyL @Blissart @FreelanceC @KindnessMatters2020 @nuriacb41 @tessie855 @JennyyyZ @Bookchunky @friendlytalk @LeonZz @peacefulkitty5640 @TinyTina4 @laurabee22 @bookworm274 @GenerousAshlee @lhammondboulter @Petrichor2000 @Togetherforbetter @LexIris @BudhooN @generousLove9008 @Listeningsarinn @Pineapplepuppy56 @Tyedyedbutterfly65 @peaceloveandpaws @Calmwaterfall34 @gentleRiver9663 @LittleBirdie30 @proud14 @U09101219 @smolecho @CheerfulRose @genuineEyes123 @lyricalAngel70 @Raysofsunshineandrainbow2005 @velvetskies04 @traveller8 @ChillWithJordan @Gracie815 @madisonhopex @RebekahRebel @WarriorPrincess16 @ABeautifulMind1 @chloe678 @hailee17 @Magicallykermit58 @Rhlvrma94 @WatchingOverYou @Aleks2 @cocoakrispies121 @healingWhisper @MagicSky28202 @River @Willow99e @AnastasiaSmith @comfySea @HoneyBubbleTea @Mankka @RumpleSteeleSkin @wohooradhika @arianachanel @crystalclearnow @HospitalBeds @maryac74 @shiningDay80 @Asherwolf @curvedmanager74 @hprising @mentallyhappy @sinceresebas21 @Asruu @Danslanuit @IamKrishanth @mialistener @SnugglyFuzzle

Tyedyedbutterfly65 July 14th, 2020

@GlenM So sorry my Notifications show up days later ...smiley

Open Mindness - You enjoy having novel experiences and seeing things in new ways.-- You enjoy having novel experiences and seeing things in new ways.

Conscientiousness- High scorers tend to be reliable, well-organized, self-disciplined, careful; Low scorers tend to be disorganized, undependable, negligent.-- You are very well-organized, and can be relied upon.

Extraversion- High scorers tend to be sociable, friendly, fun loving, talkative; Low scorers tend to be introverted, reserved, inhibited, quiet..-- You are extremely outgoing, social, and energetic.

Agreeableness - High scorers tend to be good natured, sympathetic, forgiving, courteous; Low scorers tend to be critical, rude, harsh, callous.-- You are good-natured, courteous, and supportive.

Negative Emotionality - High scorers tend to be nervous, high-strung, insecure, worrying; Low scorers tend to be calm, relaxed, secure, hardy. -- You tend to become anxious or nervous. ( I do suffer from panic and anxiety and have physical health issues ) I was honest ! yesheart

I will be 100% honest nothing really that i did not already know .. I believe that we all can improve on things about outselves because we are human beings none are perfect ..

Open-Mindedness - Number one 94% I am open minded about anything and everything even tho I may not agree with things and follow the path that others do . I like to believe in everyone and their views I am open to learning.

Conscientiousness -97%..Yes this is me well organized and very careful, self disciplined maybe to hard on myself and expect too much from others- Rules I feel need to be followed but not always possible. I do try and be very reilable as I possibly can be.

Extraversion - Yes I am open and honest and I love love people and will talk to strangers and get to know people and I am so extroverted but I did not use to be as a child and into my teen years ..

I would go with worry less and be more carefree to some degree and learn to trust people more ..Try not to be so hard on myself and others .

With all my roles/badges on the site I feel that learning more about me and others I can be a better Listener/Mod/Peer/Chat supporter/Chatrom Mentor/Safety Patrol Team also if I do take on other roles on the site I will be a much better leader .

As we can all see by my post I am lacking in Tech Skills lol like some here posting i do not know how to do Gifs and Pics on the forums etc.. so maybe lets add a Tech Room to teach us that do not know who to do some things lol.. just a suggestion .. yes Many on the site do not know how to take Screenshots which is so important to have ..