Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

PL 101: Introduce Yourself! (Discussion 1)

GlenM June 29th, 2020

Welcome to our first course in the Leadership Development Program! I am very excited to get this going. This has been something we've wanted to do for the last several months and at long last it is here. Please find the course description below. Please also introduce yourself and let us (if comfortable) where you are from and a recent book or movie you have enjoyed. I'll get us started!

Course Description: You have personal gifts and strengths that can help you in life and also help other people. Identifying, amplifying, and deliberately building those strengths enables you to have a better personal life, professional life, and also enables you to more effectively serve others in our community. People sometimes make the mistake of focusing too much on their weaknesses. This can help, but deliberately building your strengths will get you much further in life and in your career. This course provides links to personality testing (MBTI, Big 5) where you can learn to identify your personality style and strengths. It helps you understand how to match your strengths to roles in the 7 Cups community and enables you to find a career path that will be fulfilling. Join other new leaders in individual and group learning exercises.

Please note: In order to successfully complete the LDP, you must respond to all discussion posts. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

CintaBali September 15th, 2020

Hello again,

I'm Cinta Bali, from Australia. I watched Men In Black last night and am currently reading Social Psychology by Elliot Aronson.

rebecca947 September 17th, 2020

@CintaBali

Hey! Welcome, fellow Aussie!!! So glad you discovered this site and good luck with the program! I've actually never watched Men In Black ๐Ÿ™Š ๐Ÿ‘€

RumpleSteeleSkin September 17th, 2020

@GlenM

HI I am Rumple I live in Colorado. My main passions are helping the elder community as well as being a nurse to the VETS. My last book I read TWO times was Modoc. Man what a great true story of a human and a majestic animal.

rebecca947 September 17th, 2020

@RumpleSteeleSkin

Welcome! I hope you have a great time. You're a nurse vet? :o that's awesome man.

RumpleSteeleSkin September 17th, 2020

@rebecca947 Hi no lol.....I am a nurse to the Veterans in Evergreen Mountains, I am not to sure on this program as I am totally confuzzled on what I do and when I do it. Where to keep my answers. I have the welcome email but still.............

rebecca947 September 18th, 2020

@RumpleSteeleSkin

Hey Rumple! Whoops my bad ๐Ÿ˜‚ as for what to do on this program, PM @SoulfullyAButterfly for more information and help! Best of luck โค๏ธ

MoonlightHelper1 September 17th, 2020

@GlenM

Hello everyone! I am Moon and I am from Central Europe. Recently I have watched a movie called Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and I absolutely loved it! I would recommend it to everyone who hasn t seen it yet because it is worth it. It shows a whirlwind of emotions in the relationships and its hardships.

rebecca947 September 19th, 2020

@MoonlightHelper1

Hiya, Moon! I like the sound of that movie, how can we watch it? If it's on Netflix, I'll definitely add it to my list.

MoonlightHelper1 September 19th, 2020

@rebecca947

Hey Rebecca, I think it should be available on Netflix, or you could also watch it on Amazon (link: https://www.amazon.com/Eternal-Sunshine-Spotless-Mind-Carrey/dp/B001TAJGO6/ref=tmm_aiv_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=). Hope you will enjoy the film as much as I did!

friendlyEars8792 September 26th, 2020

@MoonlightHelper1

thats one of my favorite movies!!

ahealingEndoftherainbow22 September 29th, 2020

@MoonlightHelper1

That sounds like a great movie, I should add it to my list :)

peacecat September 17th, 2020

Hi Everyone, I am peacecat, from the U.S. I teach young kids which nowadays looks really different than in non-pandemic times! I get anxious and depressed about our future as a country and a human species. We are killing our planet, I fear. I am happy to have found 7 cups!

@peacecat

Hey, peacecat! How are you handling the teaching, which I'm assuming is online or spaced apart classroom? Good on you for teaching the young kids of our future. I'm glad you've found us- hopefully you can help make a change in what you're passionate about <3

peacecat October 24th, 2020

@rebecca947 hi Rebecca, sorry I have trouble navigating this site and haven't been around a lot! I teach preschool, and we are in person. We are outdoors more than half our mornings, which is really lovely. I miss my Montessori teaching sooo very much though. This is a much more play based school, and I would love it to be more Montessori...but I still love being with my children. It's a good thing to get to spend your day with four year olds! smiley hope you're having a lovely day

ouiCherie December 28th, 2020

Hi @peacecat

How have you been?

I stopped by at your post as i'm always amazed by those who teach young children. In my humble opinion it takes a huge amount of patience and love for future generation.

Your anxiousness is totally valid. This pandemic is indeed a big challenge for everyone around the globe but we'll overcome this together โค๏ธ

*sending you calming beams and hugs*

warmLove3625 February 10th, 2021

@peacecat

Hey peacecat :)

Im with you on the mental health and ecothriving mindset. :) Super content to be on this leadership journey with you and everyone else here.

Best of luck!

Aurielll September 17th, 2020

@GlenM

Hi, I'm from the United States, Florida. The latest book I've read is 'A thousand splendid suns' by Khaled Hosseini, the book beautifully describes real-life situations, and raises awareness on many!

@Aurielll

Heya, Auriel! I'm loving this book recommendations question, I've got to add yours to my list! The book does ring a familiar bell though, I think I might have it at home. I'll have to check. :p

ahealingEndoftherainbow22 September 29th, 2020

@Aurielll

Hey! That is indeed such a beautiful, heart touching book, really liked it!

SkyForever September 18th, 2020

Hello I'm Sky. I'm from the UK and love to help people which is why I am now on 7 cups. I also like writing and drawing, music, baking and watching Disney.

@SkyForever

Welcome, Sky! I'm so glad you found us, a platform that enables you to do what you love! The forums can be a great place to explore if you love writing. <3 Hope you enjoy the LDP Course!

WelcomeToChat September 19th, 2020

@GlenM

Hello everybody!

My name is Marcelo, I am from Argentina.

I bumped on 7Cups about a month ago looking for help. A novice Listener helped me such a lot ! A wonderful gift I promised to reciprocate.

I accepted the offer to contribute as a Listener, and was deeply moved by the lovely people I interacted with. I was also surprised by how much they appreciated me talking to them.

Regarding books, my all-time favorite is "Being and Time" by (the very controversial) Martin Heidegger.

I read everything by Pema Chรถdron, which I consider my spiritual teacher. My favorite work of her is the retreat-audiobook "Noble Heart".

Relevant to 7Cups, I have read, loved and absorbed, books by Existentialists, Stoics, Tibetan Buddhists, Advaita Vedanta Hinduism, Taoism, and Zen Buddhism (which taught me the meditation technique I use).

I recently watched the course on "Cognitive Behavioral Therapy" by The Great Courses. Highly recommended ! https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/cognitive-behavioral-therapy-techniques-for-retraining-your-brain.html

I have watched most courses by The Great Courses (ex-Teaching Company). Prehistory, Particle Physics, Philosophy of Mind, Biology, Cosmology. You name it. I am very curious about reality in all its facets.

I try to live in wonder, and this helps me a lot.

I have sung in choirs all my life (Bach mostly), I paint watercolors, and love taking photos.

Love trekking the mountains and collecting rocks along the way.

I hope to complete this course and begin helping the 7Cups community in new, challenging ways.

Thank you so much for this opportunity !

Marcelo.

@WelcomeToChat

Welcome, Marcelo! I love your name, and your country is a country I'd love to visit one day! I'm so glad you hada good experience with the website as a member, and welcome to the LIstener side! I've not heard of Martin Heidegger before or your other books :o Thanks for the link re CBT course! "I try to live in wonder"- that's an aim I think many aspire to do, me included. Good on you for going on that journey <3 I also love going to the mountains, though I don't go nearly as much as I'd like to (mainly because it's an hour's drive and I don't like recreational driving lol). I hope you get something out of the course and please do contribute to Cups!!! <3

WelcomeToChat September 20th, 2020

@rebecca947

Dear Rebecca:

Thank you so much for your warm and thoughtful welcome ! My country has many wonders to visit, food is great and it

thisisirene March 11th, 2021

@WelcomeToChat Hola Marcelo! just wanted to say I really like your country!

WelcomeToChat March 11th, 2021

@thisisirene

Thank you Irene !

I have been to Canada, and it's a heck of an amazing, beautiful country as well !

I have friends in Canada, who send me pictures of many wonderful places they visit there.

Being a rich country, everything is kept in perfect condition.

And life is less stressful for most people.

But yes, we do have amazing wonders down here...

Thank you again, Irene !

All the best !

Marcelo.

Vintagechoc September 20th, 2020

@GlenM

Hi everyone. I am Vintagechoc and i'am from Senegal (West Africa). The last movie i've seen is Freaks. It's about a little girl with special supernatural gifts.

rebecca947 September 21st, 2020

@Vintagechoc

Welcome! That sounds like an interesting movie- is it a thriller? What genre?

Vintagechoc September 21st, 2020

@rebecca947

Hi Rebecca947 nice to meet you. It's a mix of Sci Fi and Thriller.

FrostyMonkey September 20th, 2020

Hi, I'm from the United States. My favorite movie is Limitless because it shows the potential that's within every one of us, if given a spark. I'm passionate about helping others.

rebecca947 September 21st, 2020

@FrostyMonkey

Heya! I love the sound of that movie, think I'll have to add it to my movies to watch list. :)

Alwaysthereforyou28 September 24th, 2020

Hi, my name is @Alwaysthereforyou28 and I recently watched Les Miserables.

friendlyEars8792 September 26th, 2020

Hi! I'm Ears. I'm from the US and currently live in Alabama. The books I'm currently reading are: Al-Anon One Day at a Time and Welcome to the United States of Anxiety by Jen Lancaster.
my fantastic therapist actually recommended that I volunteer here. I'm recently disabled and could no longer practice. Being here is so fulfilling. I love all of the members I've been able to help.
I love reading, painting and hanging out with the love of my life.
my favorite movies are the LOTR trilogy.
mom so happy to be here!

SympatheticStrawberrySmoothie September 26th, 2020

Hi everyone! I'm Strawberry Smoothie and I am so excited to start this program! I'm from Brazil and I started my "path" as a listener via a friend recommnetation (who is also a listener, please upvote her @ithinktheresmorethanthis). I love a good classic, like Jane Austen or even George Orwell, but once in a while I cannot stop myself from reading a cringey Sarah J. Maas!

Looking forward to this opportunity!

ithinktheresmorethanthis September 26th, 2020

@SympatheticStrawberrySmoothie

what a badass

Starry1Listener September 26th, 2020

@GlenM

Hi there! I'm Varun, I live in Virginia! I like to watch Korean Drama and play Nintendo Games.

TaranWanderer November 22nd, 2020

@Starry1Listener ooh I've only seen a few kdramas but they're always nice when you want a feel good watch :) have you been playing the new animal crossing?? I'm so excited that we finally get to sit down!

amiablePeace77 September 27th, 2020

@GlenM

Hi everyone, I'm Ami from Barbados, originally from Germany ?. I'm proud to be part of this community, 7cups has a very special place in my heart. I love doing gardening and growing my own food as well as art and craft. A very touching movie I saw recently was "My octopus teacher", which I like to recommend to anyone.

queenviebsonly September 28th, 2020

@GlenM

Hi everyone! I'm Georgia and I'm currently reading Normal People by Sally Rooney.

onalittlebluecloud September 30th, 2020

@GlenM Hi, I'm Ashley. I'm here to help people because I know it gets rough sometimes. I hope to develop my skills to be the utmost useful!