Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Course 2: Becoming a 7 Cups Leader - (Discussion #4) What is Triangulation? 3 Steps to Avoiding & Stopping & Take the Oath!

Heather225 August 24th, 2020

Please note: In order to successfully complete Course 2, you must respond to this post. Your comment/response should answer the questions/shows that you completed the given activity (if any). Read the post carefully and follow the instructions given. Save your responses to a document that you can later refer to. You will need to copy/paste your response in the course evaluation form at the end of each course to show that you have done the work and to refresh your memory.
-

What is Triangulation?

Let's call you Person A. Now, you have a problem with Person B and really dont know what to do about it. You go to Person C to discuss it. This is triangulation, when a problem between 2 people comes to involved a 3rd person unnecessarily.

The triangulation process can happen in all relationships. Let's say someone is offended by another user. Triangulation can be very tempting, but it ultimately only ends up negatively impacting all involved. Having clear, calm, and honest conversation is challenging and requires you to overcome your fears, but, when done right, it positively impacts all involved.

At times a person doesn't realize that some words or phrases may seem intimidating to another person.We all come from different backgrounds thus it is important for us to support each other.

Why is triangulation unhelpful?

Because it perpetuates the spread of information, which can be hurtful to those involved. It lends itself to rumor spreading and it takes a private situation between two users and exposes it to more people.

What should you do if someone comes to you for support on something which occurred in the community?

1) Never share the names of another user

2) Never share specific details of a chat with another user

3) If someone wants to share with you, please say this:

"I am sorry this happened! Sounds like a challenging situation. As to avoid triangulation, it would be best for you to practice conflict resolution with that person. If conflict resolution is not possible, please let a community manager know by filing a L-L report. Please do not share this situation with other users as to preserve confidentiality.

Special note: You should avoid triangulation with all other users, including mentors, group mods, peer supporters, mentor leaders and ambassadors. Any time a situation cannot be worked out via conflict resolution, please file a L-L report.

Taking responsibility for our actions: Take the Pledge!

As a listener in our community, it is your responsibility to stop triangulation when you see it or are invited to participate in it. Doing this will keep our community healthy and moving in a positive direction. I challenge you all to take the Avoiding Triangulation Pledge:

"In all of my interactions on 7 Cups, I will work to maintain healthy relationships and a supportive environment by stopping the spread of rumors and misinformation. I will maintain professionalism by not involving myself in conversations or situations which do not include me or require my presence."

Signed: Heather225 8//6//20

After fulfilling the requirements of this post, please check out the next post here! You must take part in the brainstorming/activities given in all of these posts to successfully complete the program.

This post is brought to you by the Leadership Development Program Team, find out more information about the program here.

CheeryMango August 24th, 2020

@Heather225

"In all of my interactions on 7 Cups, I will work to maintain healthy relationships and a supportive environment by stopping the spread of rumors and misinformation. I will maintain professionalism by not involving myself in conversations or situations which do not include me or require my presence."

Signed: CheeryMango 8/24/2020

Affliction1 October 25th, 2020

@CheeryMango

Signed: Affliction1, 26/10/2020

yourfriend5 September 28th, 2021

@CheeryMango

yes.. to maintain healthy relationships, we have to stop the spread of rumors and misinformation

PhoenixTears5972 June 21st, 2022

@CheeryMango

Thats feels so wonderful to hear !!

starryCandy6123 December 13th, 2023

@CheeryMango

I think this message says it all, the way we should all attempt to do and act, as listeners, that is why we are here 

Mankka August 24th, 2020

@Heather225

Signed: Mankka 8/24//20

@Mankka

It feels so great to see everyoe working together as one !

KindnessMatters2020 August 24th, 2020

@Heather225

"In all my interactionas on 7 Cups, I will work to maintain healthy relationships and a supportive envrionment by stopping the spread of rumors and misinformation. I will maintain professionalism by not involving myself in conversations or situations which do not include me or require my presence."

Signed: KindnessMatters2020 - 8/24/20

thisisirene March 31st, 2021

@KindnessMatters2020 that's awesome <3

yourfriend5 September 28th, 2021

@KindnessMatters2020

rightly said, to maintain professionalism, we should not involve ourselves personally in situations which do not include us

@KindnessMatters2020

The oath is indeed very touching

Tyedyedbutterfly65 August 24th, 2020

@Heather225heart

Tyedyedbutterfly65 9/24./2020

Yourstruly2000 August 24th, 2020

@Heather225

In all of my interactions on 7 Cups, I will work to maintain healthy relationships and a supportive environment by stopping the spread of rumors and misinformation. I will maintain professionalism by not involving myself in conversations or situations which do not include me or require my presence

signed by : //yourstruly2000//

25/8/2020

@Yourstruly2000 thanks for your hard work here!

azuladragon34 August 25th, 2020

@Heather225

Signed: azuladragon34 8/25/20

@azuladragon34

I always uphold these values, in my daily life

blissart August 25th, 2020

@Heather225

Signed: blissart, 25th aug,2020

SofiaT2000 October 29th, 2020

@blissart It's great to see teammates around!

August 25th, 2020

@Heather225

My "Avoiding Triangulation Pledge":
In all of my interactions on 7 Cups, I will work to maintain healthy relationships and a supportive environment by stopping the spread of rumors and misinformation. I will maintain professionalism by not involving myself in conversations or situations which do not include me or require my presence.

Signed: IvyL
Date: August 25th, 2020

@VioletVenom keep up the good work!

PeaceLoveandPaws August 25th, 2020

@Heather225

Signed: Peaceloveanspaws 8/25/20

@PeaceLoveandPaws

Great sentiments peace i am glad to know im , working with professional people

QuietMagic August 26th, 2020

@Heather225

Signed: QuietMagic 8/26/20

positivePumpkin22 August 27th, 2020

@Heather225

Signed://positivePumpkin22//

28/8/2020

River August 28th, 2020

@Heather225

Signed: River (28th August, 2020)

bookworm274 August 28th, 2020

@Heather225

In all of my interactions on 7 Cups, I will work to maintain healthy relationships and a supportive environment by stopping the spread of rumors and misinformation. I will maintain professionalism by not involving myself in conversations or situations which do not include me or require my presence.

Signed: bookworm274 28/08/2020

shiningDay80 August 28th, 2020

@Heather225

Signed: shiningDay80 8/28/2020

softMusic9759 August 28th, 2020

Signed: softmusic9759 08/28/2020

Daf8 August 29th, 2020

@Heather225

heart In all of my interactions on 7 Cups, I will work to maintain healthy relationships and a supportive environment by stopping the spread of rumors and misinformation. I will maintain professionalism by not involving myself in conversations or situations which do not include me or require my presence. heart

heart Signed: Daf8 8/29/2020 heart

Listeningsarinn August 31st, 2020

@Heather225

Signed: sarinn, "april 31th, 2020"

LittleBirdie30 September 1st, 2020

@Heather225

Signed: LittleBirdie30 9/1/2020

MistyMagic September 1st, 2020

@Heather225

MistyMagic September 1st 2020

Listening - One Step At A Time!

VerseArt September 1st, 2020

Signed: VerseArt 2/9//20

smolecho September 2nd, 2020

Signed: smolecho // 9/1/2020

SynSavory September 2nd, 2020

@Heather225

Signed: SynSavory 9/2/20

cocoakrispies121 September 3rd, 2020

Signed:

Cocoa 09/02/2020

ahealingEndoftherainbow22 September 3rd, 2020

@Heather225

Signed, Rainbow Sept 3,2020

Rupcompassion20 September 3rd, 2020

@ Heather225

Signed: Rupcompassion20 - 03.09.2020

September 3rd, 2020

Signed: Magicallykermit58 3/9/20

Rebekah September 3rd, 2020

@Heather225,

"In all of my interactions on 7 Cups, I will work to maintain healthy relationships, and a supportive environment, by stopping the spread of rumours and misinformation. I will maintain professionalism by not involving myself in conversations or situations which do not include me or require my presence."

Signed: RR // RebekahRebel [September 3rd, 2020]