Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Self-Development - Exploring the Greater Questions of Life

ThoughtBubbleExpess July 22nd, 2022

Exploring the Greater Questions of Life

Hi There! How are you doing and what are you feeling right now?

I'm the new content connoisseur @ThoughtBubbleExpess and would like to present this segment with you where I'll be posting a few philosophical, some self reflection questions, or journal prompts each week. I'm very much looking forward to your responses and feedbacks. Also a question I would like to ask is what kind of content would you like to see here more?

About the theme, Exploring the Greater Questions of Life, these are some of the questions that our psychological and philosophical forefathers spent their lifetimes trying to figure these out and reflect on them, so I'll be passing the baton to you now. Let's figure these questions out together and hope you have a nice time brainstorming.

Questions of the week:

1. What is the human mind and how does it work?
  2. Is it different from the human brain?
  3. How do you see mind in comparison to the human brain?

soulsings July 23rd, 2022

@ThoughtBubbleExpess Hi There!

How are you doing I am fine just trying to keep cool 6 days of 90+ degree heat is a lot.

and what are you feeling right now? Refreshed after a shower.

1. What is the human mind and how does it work? The human mind is like a river that keeps flowing and things flow in it as I watch them pass by.

2. Is it different from the human brain? Yes the human mind is like the person running a computer and the brain is the processor of info and storage of info.

3. How do you see mind in comparison to the human brain? The mind is something that keeps going on and is not a thing it is more like being. The brain is a thing that can be useful as a tool if properly used.

ThoughtBubbleExpess OP July 24th, 2022

Heyyy, thanks for your response.

And omg is the sun over there going crazy? I'm glad you feel nice after showering. I'm doing good. Just had my breakfast and I think I am feeling nice and calm right now.

I love your concept of the mind like a river and a person controlling a computer (the person controlling computer one is kinda similar to my concept) I think the things you mentioned as flowing and you watch them pass by are thoughts and ideas maybe?

I too think of brain more like a tool and the mind more like a controlling system, something that controlls brain and is connect with our souls probably.

I love your concepts and answers especially the 1st one, where you said mind like a river, it's something really unique to me. Looking forward to more of your responses in future posts. :) thanks a lot for participating.

soulsings July 24th, 2022

@ThoughtBubbleExpess you are welcome.

Clairvoyantmercenary July 24th, 2022

@ThoughtBubbleExpess

The human mind is different from our brains. What we can control via solving problems is from our minds. What is out of our control and how we live due to our brains is what makes it separate from our minds.

ThoughtBubbleExpess OP July 25th, 2022

Amazing answer! Thank you, Clair! Have a great day :)

Ginevra962 July 25th, 2022

For me self reflection, non philosophical please. I really don't like it

Ginevra962 July 25th, 2022

That is why I don't answer today sorry

ThoughtBubbleExpess OP July 26th, 2022

It's totally alright if you don't want to, but you may ponder these questions in a non-philosophical or scientific way if you want :)

Manny1912 July 31st, 2022

@ThoughtBubbleExpess lyk how exactly

ThoughtsBubbleExpress July 31st, 2022

@Manny1912 You can either use a philosophical approach such as @soulsings said about the mind as a river and @AffyAvo took a scientific approach letting us know how the mind differs from brain by stating how the mind differs from matter. I'm sure you could think of many other approaches to answering this question

AffyAvo July 27th, 2022
  1. What is the human mind and how does it work?
  2. Is it different from the human brain?
  3. How do you see mind in comparison to the human brain?

1. The thoughts, emotions, etc. The less concrete things that occur in the brain. How it works? I don't think we completely understand that yet, neurotransmitters, electrical impulses are involved.

2. It's a process that occurs within the brain. The brain is the physical matter.

3. The mind refers to a set of processes that occur within the brain. The brain does other process too, like control a lot of autonomic bodily functions.

ThoughtBubbleExpess OP July 27th, 2022

I'm glad that you're referring to the principles of psychology with your answer which compares the mind to the matter. I don't think the mind even has a concrete existence and it probably has something to do with the psyche in some ways or is a work of the psyche. Thanks for your answer and I hope you find this series a little interesting.

blissfulTouch29 July 27th, 2022
  1. What is the human mind and how does it work? The human consciousness originates in the brain and is manifested especially in thought, perception, emotion, will, memory, and imagination.
  2. Is it different from the human brain? Yes, it is different because you can touch the brain but you can't touch the mind, the brain has a definite shape and the mind does not.
  3. How do you see the mind in comparison to the human brain? You can "see" the mind by your imagination and consciousness whereas, the brain you can see on an MRI scan
ThoughtBubbleExpess OP July 30th, 2022

Hi Blissful! Thanks for your response.

For the first question, you said that the consciousness originates in the brain and is manifested later on and you didn't mention the mind, but what about the human mind? What work does the mind do?

What do you think the mind is a component of? Our brain? Heart or psyche?

blissfulTouch29 July 31st, 2022

@ThoughtBubbleExpess actually the consciousness is the mind. It helps work different decisions. I think that the mind is all connected to the heart and psyche

ThoughtBubbleExpess OP July 31st, 2022

Ah, I see, great answer 😄

ThoughtBubbleExpess OP July 31st, 2022

🌸💕 Hello everyone! How are you spending the weekends or what are your plans for the weekend? 💕🌸

🌟✨ Seeing the responses to this discussion and getting to understand new perspectives from the previous week was something that made my week the best.

It's been a week since I was chosen as the content connoisseur and my ideas were selected by the 7 cups academy Dean @Hope herself! This opportunity for me is a dream come true! ✨🌟

🍄🪴For this newest addition, Exploring the greater questions of life, I, Thoughts Bubble Express bring you the new set of questions for this week and I hope you enjoy responding to this discussion.🪴🍄

Question of the Week:

•How is it that people best motivate themselves?

•What is it that drives people?

•Is there a difference between being excited about something or being motivated by something?

P.S. Please let me know to get added or opted out of taglist 😊

Taglist:

@soulsings @Clairvoyantmercenary @Ginevra962 @Manny1912 @AffyAvo @blissfulTouch29

Izzy274 August 1st, 2022

@ThoughtBubbleExpess

Hi Bubble! Thanks for the awesome prompts this week :)

•How is it that people best motivate themselves?

> I think that motivation is a really personal thing, as we all have different things that motivate us, it makes sense that we would all use different techniques to help us achieve our goals. Some people may use those around them for motivation, such as friends or family, whereas others may look inside themselves for reflection. Also, some people motivate themselves in a positive/ present way 'I was really good at ____, that means that I can do ____', whereas others are more future-oriented 'I need to do ____, then ____ so that I can ____'. Finally, I think that for some people, looking at the big picture really motivates them (for example getting a dream job), whereas for others, the process itself motivates them (getting experience, then training and qualifications etc).

•What is it that drives people?

> Personally, it is my view that drives are the more innate feelings that cause human behaviours, whereas motivations are more like concepts or ideas that we create to help us work towards something. From a scientific point of view, it would be hormones or neurotransmitters that cause drives. For example, usually if we're lacking in food or nutrients, this sets off a feedback response to the brain, which causes a physical response in us as we start to feel hungry. This then drives us to eat something (or helps to motivate us to make some food). Also, if we feel a certain emotion, this can cause us to act or respond in a specific way.

•Is there a difference between being excited about something or being motivated by something?

> I think that excitement is more of a passive feeling, whereas motivation is more active. You could be excited about getting a present or a new TV show coming out, but these may not be things that motivate you to do anything. Also, excitement is usually classed as a positive thing. In contrast, motivation can either have underlying positive (such as motivation to build on your strengths) or negative (such as motivation to achieve an unattainable or unhealthy goal) feelings. Excitement could cause an initial interest in a topic, whereas motivation is what allows you to actively make changes and do things.

Here are some interesting websites I found while reading up about these topics :)

> 14 Simple Ways to Motivate Someone - wikiHow

> Motivation and What Really Drives Human Behavior (positivepsychology.com)

> Difference between Motivation and Inspiration (jonasmuthoni.com)

ThoughtBubbleExpess OP August 3rd, 2022

Hey! Thanks a lot for participating! Hope you're having a great day.

That's true, motivators and drives can vary from person to person but in my perception I think Eudaimonia (Human flourishing) is something that's a common drive for all. No one wants to be stuck at one place and we all as humans always keep looking out for ways to grow in different aspects of our life.

Needs of humans are of mainly 3 kinds such as Biological motives (primary), social motives (secondary), and personal motives.

While motivation can be of 2 types, Intrinsic and Extrinsic.

Thanks so much for sharing the links :) I'll give them a good read soon.

Clairvoyantmercenary August 1st, 2022

Family and personal goals can motivate people. What drives someone can be something that troubles or inspires them to be better. You can be excited about something interests you like space exploration, but it takes dedication to stay motivated to cross the finish line.

ThoughtBubbleExpess OP August 3rd, 2022

That's a great concise explanation, thanks for participating Clair!

ThoughtBubbleExpess OP August 7th, 2022

As human beings, How big are we willing to think? How devoted are we to establishing and discovering that which is true because there's a big difference, between that which we think is true and not which is fundamentally true.

A very healthy purpose/ perspective in life could be seeking self-awareness and self-management, then only we can enable someone else to better understand themselves.

•How much room do you think you have for any truth outside of your experience?

•What is it that at this stage of your life, you need to know that you don't yet know?

•What part of you are you ready to understand better?

Or do you know yourself perfectly, and do you understand yourself to the core?

ThoughtBubbleExpess OP August 7th, 2022

Taglist:

@soulsings @Clairvoyantmercenary @Ginevra962 @Manny1912 @AffyAvo @blissfulTouch29 @Izzy274

Clairvoyantmercenary August 7th, 2022

I think this post concerns self-awareness and knowing yourself along with the ability to improve to help yourself and society if possible as well. Well, many great people exist that are self -aware/ have won nobel peace prizes like Mohammed Yunus, Malala, and Kailash Satyi.. Others have won awards for science like Niels Bohr. It can be a lifelong goal to know yourself, but the few that can achieve this early in life are destined for great things. I myself am continuing to improve and expand upon ny knowledge/abilities, so for me it's a work in progress. To help others as the saying goes you have to first help yourself.

ThoughtBubbleExpess OP August 8th, 2022

Thanks for participating and hope you're having a nice day Clair!

Yes, you're right. The main nature of this post was to provoke a bit of self-reflection and self-awareness. Knowing about yourself to the core is a great thing and then only you may help society have an understanding of themselves at a large.

Self- Awareness is a state of awareness where one can be aware of one's existence & one's actions & words & thoughts. Self-awareness helps us understand ourselves. It allows us to control our thoughts & behaviour. It gives us the ability to make our own decisions & to do what makes us happy.

I'm happy to hear that you're improving and expanding your knowledge area and abilities and that your priority is yourself first of all.

ThoughtsBubbleExpress August 17th, 2022

You're welcome and thanks a lot for participating, I'm glad you liked it :) would you like to be added to get added to the taglist for staying in tune with further posts?

ThoughtsBubbleExpress August 17th, 2022

You're welcome and thanks a lot for participating, I'm glad you liked it :) would you like to be added to get added to the taglist for staying in tune with further posts?

goldenHouse7136 August 10th, 2022

Intelligence indulgencing thoughts like a work of art.

The mind achievements stem out from the inner paraells of the brain.you may lose you're mind but not lose you're brain.

ThoughtsBubbleExpress August 11th, 2022

Thank you Golden! I hope you like them! :)

magicalOcean594 August 25th, 2022

@thoughtbubbleexpess

i love this, thank you for sharing this with our community! Deffintley keeps things life, and are brain busters:)

ThoughtsBubbleExpress August 25th, 2022

Thank you so much, and I'm glad you liked it. Have a great day/ evening/ night ahead :)