Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How to deal with an attention seeker

TrueSky May 8th, 2023

Was wondering if anyone ever encountered this kind of behavior?

There's this girl who often seeks attention by posting sad stories in her social media account, she called herself a baby.

We have known her for years and we see the pattern of her trying to fake things to get people's attention.

She would write self depreciating stuff, saying bad things about herself in essays, poems, and many other things to get sympathy.

We used to fall to her trick, but we found out that even when she posted sad stuff, she would cheerfully responded to someone else's fb wall.

Once she was so desperate for attention that she deleted her social media account and then sent all of us email, asking how to get her account back. Some of us replied to her, and at that time she blurted out that she 'accidentally' deleted her own account. Then days later, her account is back, magically.

My friends and I are trying to find solutions to deal with her repeated behavior. Any thoughts, feel free to share in replies

juliak1968 May 10th, 2023

๐Ÿ™@TrueSky

Hello, I would think long and hard about what you have written because if you are on the outside looking in it has the appearance to me that this girl has legitimate mental health issues and being hyper focused on her is obscuring your view. As I see it this is a person who needs some extra support- my daughter was treated that way when she reached out for herself for help when she was depressed and instead of being helped, others looked at it your way and she couldn't handle the added pressure, so she took her own life. People need each other deeply and that's what the site is all about. I bed you to read your post and try to see the simular two sides of the story. I hope you can look at it in this different light.

Blessings, Day

TrueSky OP May 27th, 2023

@juliak1968

Juliak thanks for commenting. First I'm sorry for your loss. It is different from what your daughter experienced. We knew this girl well for years, at first we thought she needed help, one of us took her to see a therapist. But the therapist said, it was nothing but attention seeking disorder. She didn't show signs of depression that's what they said, nothing to worry about, but we just have to put up with her.

But again, I'm so sorry for your loss.

juliak1968 May 27th, 2023

@TrueSky ๐Ÿ™

Thank you, Blessings, Day