Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

A Blanket For The World: Empathy and Compassion

fireflyyv June 16th

Empathy is defined as the ability to put yourself in the shoes of others and be able to view the situation and their feelings from their view. Meanwhile, compassion can be defined as a "sympathetic pity" for the difficult things that others may be going through.

As simple as they may sound, these words are often lacking in certain people. Some see it as a weakness, because why would you feel sorry for something bad that didn't happen to you, right? However, this mindset can be a roadway to misery and isolation, as empathy and compassion are traits that connects us to other human beings.

Though some people feel lower levels of empathy due to neurological reasons, what matters a lot is how people can approach the suffering of others through acts of mercy. It doesn't always have to be something that monumental or life-changing. Sometimes, all it takes is for someone to feel as if their woes are shared and understood by another living, breathing human being that is going through life like they are.

"A problem shared is a problem halved"

This cannot be stressed enough especially for advocates, listeners, and professionals in the realm of mental health. We must offer a safe space full of empathy and compassion to others for the world can be a dark place full of uncertainty. The least (and sometimes best) we could do is to provide comfort to these people. 

For the reflection for this discussion, I would like to pose the question:

"Do you believe in the kindness of strangers? Why?"

This is to see if empathy and compassion is something that you believe strangers can provide to other people who they also see as strangers. It's also to reflect if you believe that these traits could be expressed by strangers in whatever scenario, as well as your optimism in humanity.

Thanks for reading. Always remember to be kind not only to other people but to yourself as well.

Tinywhisper11 June 16th

@fireflyyv the kindness of strangers saved my life, law enforcement risking their lives to save others like me. The hospital staff who went above and beyond to save my life, like they do many others, my carers here at the carehome, looking after me, they never complain they always smile. There is more good than bad in this world ❤

🎶 everyday people are the ones who are making miracles,

and it's beautiful, everyday people

lighting up this world like an answered prayer

I thank God their there everyday people 🎶🎶

fireflyyv OP June 16th

Hearing stories like these warms my heart. To know that there's stilla lot of good out there is very empowering and can motivate us to be better people indeed. Happy to hear you were able to survive through that through the kindness of strangers, cheers for the gift of life! Thanks for sharing this heart-warming story ❤️

Tinywhisper11 June 17th

@fireflyyv ❤❤❤