Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Growth From the Inside Out

positivelyLuna333 June 21st

“Courage is the most important of all the virtues because without courage, you can't practice any other virtue consistently.” -Maya Angelou

Hello, fellow forum members! After completing the Inner Development Goals Course, I have found great joy in all the skills it has left me with, most importantly personal development skills.

To truly have relationship to ourselves, we must be able to recognize the areas we lack in and take the initiative and courage to grow ourselves in these areas.

While it is good to grow and use the areas we already prosper in, there can be a line in the difference in life between self acceptance and remaining stagnant. True love prospers in 

In the course, we learned of the 24 Character Strengths, and if you haven't already or are new to this forum you can find yours through this quiz:  https://www.viacharacter.org/character-strengths (the free survey is in the top right corner! 

Question/Activity 1: What are some of your "'Lesser' Character Strengths?" Either from the quiz or just personal self reflection!

Now, while it is amazing to use our greater character strengths to contribute to the world and our own lives, there is also amazing strength to be found in growing areas we know to be underdeveloped in our life. Staying conscious of these "strengths" ability to keep you stagnant is areas where growth can be plentiful.

For example, if one of your Lesser Character Strengths is "Humility", maybe you can recognize areas of your life where you are being prideful. Perhaps it's affecting relationships, personal and at work. Perhaps it is limiting your point of view, and not allowing room for constructive advice and your own personal growth.

Question/Activity 2: Now that you have identified your "Lesser Character Strengths." take a moment to reflect, and then write out the answer to this question: What areas of my life could the absence of one (or more, if you'd like!) of my "Lesser Character Strengths" be affecting? 

Have fun with this, personal growth is to make us feel better about ourselves and, eventually, our relationship to the world! :)

“Confront the dark parts of yourself, and work to banish them with illumination and forgiveness. Your willingness to wrestle with your demons will cause your angels to sing.” - August Wilson

Explore the Inner Development Goals Course here

positivelyLuna333 OP June 21st

@positivelyLuna333 @positivelyLuna333 For me, two of my main "Lesser Character Strengths" are perseverance and courage! These are amazingly important to realize- or more-so, realize the absence of! In not having these in my life, I am constricting myself from being able to confront my mind when it shrinks away in fear from things that are very much achievable- even in the face of self doubt and fear. When I don't enforce perseverance, I can't complete various projects because of self doubt. With a lack of bravery, I can't go after the things that make me happy for fear of failure. 

Hope June 24th

@positivelyLuna333

I am glad you are enjoying the course! Love the use of quotes

Agreed self-awareness is important. 

This is a practical and insightful post. Thank you for sharing

Zeraphim June 28th

What areas of my life could the absence of one (or more, if you'd like!) of my "Lesser Character Strengths" be affecting?

Courage. Anxiety keeps me trapped, unable to live the life I want. Depression keeps me thinking I don't deserve to have the life I want anyway, and that I, in fact, deserve the wrath of those who would destroy me and everyone else they don't want, if they manage to seize the power to do so. Some days, all my courage is spent just to get out of bed. I don't know how to consistently have the courage necessary to live life in this world.

positivelyLuna333 OP June 28th

@Zeraphim Recognizing where you want to grow in life is the first step to growth! I'm proud of you for finding this starting place, and I wish you the best in your growth journey. Remember that little steps every day matter, that every step of progress is good progress. Be gentle and patient with yourself. :)