Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

In need of a hobby

Twentyoneepilots December 17th, 2016

I need some hobbies I never really had much of one and I'm not that good at anything. I want to try out more things to help find out about myself and have a distraction from life. Ideas for things to try out?

Yory93 December 19th, 2016

@Twentyoneepilots Well, first hi 🌸 Are you a good writer, drawer, or even like to write about your daily events ? Start with something you love or have a liking to it 🌸 I hope I helped somehow 💕 Have a nice day/night

Sea001 March 13th, 2017

@Twentyoneepilots what I do is expensive but totally worth it. If there is a martial arts studio around with nice instructors, I say try it out if they have a free/cheap trial program. I've been in Taekwondo for 2 1/2 years and I don't regret it. The instructors are awesome, I've made lots of friends, and it allows me to kick, punch and yell for a good 40 minutes :)

Emily619 December 17th, 2016

Hmm, this is a great question! It definitely varies from person to person, but for me I love skiing, listening to music, drawing, lots of things! Do you enjoy doing any of those? If so, that could help you find a great hobby to get into smiley

Twentyoneepilots OP December 17th, 2016

@Emily619 yup I've never been skiing although I've always wanted to try those sort of things but I love listening to music and like drawing although it's one of the things I'm bad at haha gonna have to think of how to turn my interests into hobbies somehow I tried playing guitar once it didn't work out so well and ever since I was younger I've always wanted to play guitar but for some reason I just couldn't get into it once I actually got it which I feel so bad about but I'll see what I can do thank you :)

cyanPlatypus6370 January 30th, 2018

@Twentyoneepilots

Hi there! That's one of those things that goes along with hobbies it seems. Sometimes you dream of doing ____ for a long time and then when you do finally get to try ______, it's not at all what you thought it would be. Or for you it doesn't like ... well, you know it's just "not your thing." Which is perfectly okay!!! Sometimes I think we feel like we should like something or like doing some certain activity because an older sibling did it (and enjoyed it) or our parents sort of force us into that activity.

But, while hobbies can be expensive (like scuba diving! or making stained glass art), other hobbies or fun activities can be much less expensive or even free! Therefore, I hope you are not too hard on yourself for not liking learning and playing the guitar as much as you thought you would. It sounds like you are rather disappointed. But after years of dreaming of it, I think I would be too! Anyway, sorry .... my point was that hobbies are hobbies: little (or not so little) fun activities that you can do alone or with others. It's something that you enjoy. It can be something you do and look up at the clock and all of a sudden, "What? It's 4:30pm already?" Hobbies are supposed to be fun and maybe even relaxing. So, dear Pilot, if you're not enjoying (insert hobby here), please ... allow yourself to set it aside and go try something else wink You will find something you like, I'm sure. heart Platy

P.S. I love to read. I love to pet and be with animals. I love watching movies (though I'm not sure if this is a hobby...). I like to knit - but I am not very good at it yet. I do NOT like cooking - some people love to cook and for them it is a hobby! Oh, I love ice skating :) Did I mention, I love to read? oh, I did. okay :) I like to play billiards. I like to swim! I do not like playing Yahtzee but I love playing most games - board games or card games. UNO is a favorite card game of my family. Okay, I'll stop now. laugh

lightTortoise1929 December 17th, 2016

I might recommend picking up some kind of instrument like a guitar. You can learn from Youtube pretty well and even if it doesn't sound great, it'd still provide a good stress relief. It's structured enough that you can make goals, but it's also relaxing.

Something physical like yoga or another class could be an interesting alternative if you're interested in that, or a sport like running or swimming that you could pick up on your own could be a fun pasttime.

Arts and crafts are one of my favorite destressors. Personally, I like to knit, but other optionals like drawing or painting or woodworking might be what's right for you.

Ultimately, I'd recommend that you think about your interests. Almost any interest can become a hobby. For example, if you really like nature, maybe you want to try hiking or bird watching. Or maybe you might want to try gardening. I hope this helps!

Twentyoneepilots OP December 17th, 2016

@lightTortoise1929 it did! Thank you I'll start thinking more deeply into my interests but for now Im likely just going pick up my guitar again and try it out another time or do yoga and I would swim but it's winter and I can't really unless I swim in the snow❄️ Lol I'm also definitely open to possibly trying the other things you mentioned and more too though 👍👍 I just feel empty and I need to find things that give my life meaning

lightTortoise1929 December 19th, 2016

@Twentyoneepilots

Good luck! It's great that you are taking proactive steps to make your life more meaningful.

Navylady December 19th, 2016

@Twentyoneepilots

I love to Crochet. Some people find knitting easier than crochet but I can't get it. There is also the adult coloring books too. Get some good thin tip colored markers. But for the crocheting or the knitting there are tons of youtube videos available to teach you from basic to difficult. Left and right handed too.

supportiveKami15 December 31st, 2016

i know exactly how you feel. I feellike i am not talented enough to do anything. But you do have agret taste in music! |-/ @Twentyoneepilots

Twentyoneepilots OP January 3rd, 2017

@supportiveKami15 woo I'm not alone someone that understands. I've always hated getting asked what my hobby is then having to write stupid answers like listening to music or hanging out with friends, like that good and all but I can't always hangout with friends and just listening to music and watching YouTube videos gets boring after a while because I don't know what else to watch/listen to Lol 😅 but thanksssss☺️👉✌️

Hopefordays February 5th, 2018

Kickboxing!

Sid843 February 20th, 2018

Hi all, I really need some hobby. I've taken a gap year and I'm bored of the daily routine. I really need to do something different. Help me?

charmingFarm4586 February 20th, 2018

@Twentyoneepilots

Learn calligraphy or some other typography.

tiredadult February 18th, 2021

Any good suggestions for a low maintenance low cost hobby . I legit have none.

optimisticDay8079 March 14th, 2021

chess?