Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Duathlon/Triathlon

meaculpa April 13th, 2016

I hope this will attract people who are starting outare already into duathlon/triathlon races. I have recently decided to switch to duathlons because I find it easier to handle than gruelling cross country marathon races. The cycling part is my favorite and I enjoy cycling over long distances. Please put in your experiences of duathlon/triathlons here. Happy cycling/running and swimming !

indigochildwithcherries April 21st, 2016

@meaculpa

I have to say that j havent been brave enough to try a triathalon or duathalon get butbi have seen people do it and i think they are inspiring, so i possibly will do it some day;)

What have your experiences been like?

meaculpa OP April 21st, 2016

@indigochildwithcherries

Thanks for your interest and yes you should definitely try it !

As for me I will be in my first high altitude duathlon in July. The training is less strenuous than say a full distance cross country marathon simply because you get to exercise different sets of muscles in the multi discipline duathlons/triathlons. However, the switch over from say cycling to running or from cycling to swimming is a bit difficult to handle and the smoother it is, the faster your timing. You can come off feeling all awkward when you lay off your bicycle and head for the water or the running trail and good training is the essence here.

courageousPond8990 July 13th, 2018

I used to just run, but I kept getting injured, so I switched to triathlon. I love it, and I love being able to complete training cycles without injury! The only thing that bothers me a bit is that I'm not a good fit tempermentally for the often very type-A triathlete communities around where I live (I live in a major city that is a hyper-competitive hub for triathlon in the US). I love to race, I love to compete, but I just can't get so self-involved/aggro about it. Some people around here really go to extremes, and that's not my jam at all. (Of course, there are also great people, and some of our local race directors are amazing.)

I should also say that I'm a breast cancer person (currently NED, in survivorship mode). I was diagnosed in 2015, and just this April I finally came back and did my first triathlon. It was just a mini-sprint tri, but I won! It was so unexpected; I was thrilled.

Training and racing really helps me with anxiety and depression. I also love to crew for one of my dearest friends--she does quite a few HIM and IM distance races, and I often travel with her and support her.

Stich22 November 20th, 2018

Hey guys, I love running and I will def take up triathlons in future cuz I wanna beat swimming which tired me so bad at a point of time in my life that I went to depression. I was doing it twice a day and even though I was eating healthy my body just crased.

If anyone of you wanna talk about running training I am up for it!!!