Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Spring/Summer Birds ๐ŸŒธโ˜€๐Ÿฆ…

Lou73 June 6th, 2023

Hope you are all enjoying the warmer weather, and I'm sure our birds and wildlife are too! It's the perfect season to see nesting, fledglings and juvenile birds. Has anyone been watching Springwatch? Or a live camera to a nest and watching the eggs be incubated, hatched and the chicks being fed? There are many live streams of these nests available for free on YouTube!

flower-bird-bird-and-flower.gif

We have users here from all over the world so I'm inviting you to share a bird that is native to your country, tell us a bit about it, a photo if you can or tell us about a recent sighting!

Taglist: @adaptableOcean4193 @Aileen1114117 @Aliceiin3rdwonderland @beachyone @BelovedMe @butdoesanyonenotice @charmingSky5972 @confidentrabbit7311 @CosmicMiracle @DipityEnigma @EmotionsListener @FallandWinterPlease00 @hiraxx @Interestingkiwi @interlligentshawzk @intoxfantasy @jujubears @Katieinbloom @LadyOrgasma @Liv125 @Lou73 @Meifeng @Merliah001 @MilaAvery @MistyMagic @MunchieTaters @NicholasW @Paprika001 @practicalTree3613 @PurpleLady568 @SerenitysFire @SleepyShyCat @SmileSravani @SparklingSeashells @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @sweetrosa1987 @ThadSterling @theboymoana @tidyHickory3283 @Walker7957 @WarmLightXO @WorriedMagpie @Solitarybird @ReadBooks7 @ calmAngel6296 @teenytinyturtle @LonelyCheese

(If you want to be added/removed click here!)

Lou73 OP June 6th, 2023

I wanted to share something very exciting that I saw recently. Those in Europe may know this bird well but here they are very rare and I had to go to a specific wildlife reserve to even be in with a chance of catching a glimpse of a Bittern. They are very elusive for 2 main reasons - 1, there aren't many of them that live here, or even migrate here due to loss of wetlands habitat and 2 - they are masters of disguise! They spend most of their time hiding in long reeds and their markings make them almost impossible to make out in the dense reeds. But they can occasionally be seen on the edge of reedbeds and I was very lucky to get a stunning view of this booming male!

photo-29-05-2023-4-05-41-pm_1686080223.jpg

mytwistedsoul June 7th, 2023

@Lou73 He's so cool! Glad you got the opportunity to see him! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Lou73 OP June 7th, 2023

Thank you @mytwistedsoul and @purplelady568! It was an amazing experience and a bird I have been searching for since I was young!

purplelady568 June 7th, 2023

@Lou73- exciting! I'm so glad you got to see him!

And thanks for sharing your photo with us :)

image_1686098563.png

This is a pileated woodpecker.

They prefer habitats with large, mature hardwood trees, often being found in large tracts of forest. However, they also inhabit smaller woodlots as long as they have a scattering of tall trees. They're not rare they just look so cool ๐Ÿ˜Š They don't migrate but stay in the same area over winter. We have a pair that live here. They have a really recognizable call

Lou73 OP June 7th, 2023

@mytwistedsoul

Wow what an awesome looking woodpecker! thank you for sharing some info about these guys and I listened to the call on Youtube and it's definitely a recognisable call! Watching them peck always amazes me that their necks are so strong!!

animal-bird.gif

I searched woodpecker gifs and found this amazing woodpecker vs a little owl (I think)!!

@Lou73 I love the gif! Owls are so awesome too!

Fun fact - a woodpeckers tongue wraps around it's brain to protect it while it pecks away at things. So cool ๐Ÿ˜

Lou73 OP June 7th, 2023

@mytwistedsoul

Omg that is both amazing and gross all at once haha! Cool fact though! ๐Ÿ˜„

@Lou73 Ikr?! ๐Ÿ˜‚

BelovedMe June 7th, 2023

In 1963, the peacock was declared the National Bird of India

because of its rich religious and legendary involvement in Indian traditions

. The criteria for this choice were many. The bird must be well-distributed within the country so it could truly 'national'. The Great part is I see ๐Ÿ‘€ there beauty everyday in a village of mine I come to a weeks ago even when we wake up we hear sound of their voices as their is mountain in front of my home at village so most of peacock ๐Ÿฆš lives there.

BelovedMe June 7th, 2023

@BelovedMe images_1686104883.jpeg

Lou73 OP June 7th, 2023

This is so interesting @BelovedMe, I definitely didn't know it was the National bird for India and I also just found out that Peafowl is the name for the species whilst Peacock refers to just the males! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ I bet it's amazing to see these birds roaming wild with the mountains in the distance! ๐Ÿฆš

@BelovedMe Omgosh it's so beautiful!

ThadSterling June 7th, 2023

@Lou73

Aww, that is so cute! I have watched a live feed of something similar ages ago, but haven't seen the ones you mentioned. I'll have to check them out, thank you!

Lou73 OP June 7th, 2023

You're welcome @ThadSterling there are so many available. I've been loving watching the cuckoo in the meadow pipit's nest - such a crazy part of nature these birds!