Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Where to Start? 🌻

fuzzyLemon August 10th, 2022

Hi everyone :)

I really want to get started with my garden but I have no ideawhere/how to? I don't have much space but I do have a lot of time at the moment. I think it would be best if I start with something that gives quick results (I've got ADHD) and so I wondered what things do you grow that give you a sense of satisfaction quickly?

I'm open to fruit/veg or flowers or even something like a pond etc.

I have some plants in my front garden that I'm reading up about and trying to take care of too.

Any thoughts really appreciated!

gentleZebra7809 August 10th, 2022

@fuzzyLemon

I'd recommend mungbeans/beansprouts. They don't use up much space and usually take around a week to grow

fuzzyLemon OP August 10th, 2022

@gentleZebra7809

Ooo thank you Zebra! :)

GoldenNest2727 August 10th, 2022

Hi! Gardening is great for stress relief and there are tons of easy things that you can grow. I'm glad that you're keeping your options open. Which USDA zone are you in? Since it's August, you're probably looking at starting a fall garden. An easy and cheap flower that you can start right now from seed are marigolds. Just sow the seeds into the ground and water them well. Anyone can grow marigolds. They're great for bees and butterflies, and their blooms are cheerful. Marigolds will last until you have a hard frost.

Psalm139 August 10th, 2022

@GoldenNest2727 My grandma used to grow marigolds πŸ’™. When I read that I thought of her.

fuzzyLemon OP August 10th, 2022

@GoldenNest2727

I'm actually in the UK but Marigolds are a lovely vibrant flower! I think I'll definitely look into growing them! Thank you so much for your reply :)

WorriedMagpie August 16th, 2022

πŸ‹πŸ‹!

Ooh some time for the garden :D a good one that grows super quick is herbs - and even I've managed to grow some of those! :D - quick growth and you can harvest the leafies to use in your cooking what's not to love πŸ‘ŒπŸŒ±

Do you have any dream plants you want growing? - if your feeling brave you could maybe go have a chat with someone at a garden centre πŸ€” not sure what would be best to start now - but if you do pots you could always bring them in when it gets cold πŸ€”πŸ¦

Ooh I can't wait to see how you get on! πŸ’šπŸ¦

fuzzyLemon OP August 18th, 2022

@WorriedMagpie

πŸ₯° Thanks so much for replying Magpie!

Herbs sound like an excellent thing for me to grow! I love using them in cooking and the fact that they are quite fast to grow and super useful is very appealing!

Hmmm, I like your idea of going to a garden centre and asking too. Feels scary but might be a good way to stretch myself!

I'll definitely keep you updated!

πŸ‹

AMusicalTone August 18th, 2022

@fuzzyLemon you never fail to inspire me ❀️

Maybe you can plant onions, lettuces, or spinach.

Holy Basil plants are huge in my country, maybe you can find out if they can be grown in the UK too.

fuzzyLemon OP August 18th, 2022

@AMusicalTone

Awww Musical πŸ₯° Thanks for the ideas! I love basil so I'll definitely check that out!

Hope you're well

πŸ‹

MistyMagic August 18th, 2022

@fuzzyLemon you mention being in the UK so why not just try a supermarket and buy some herb plants there? They are pretty cheap and usually grow well. I tend to plant them in my garden and now I have a rosemary bush lol, and when the dog brushes by it the smell is wonderful. Also Rosemary is tough and lasts over winter. But I love the soft herbs too and as Magpie says in pots you can bring them inside when it gets cold.

Basil grows really well Musical!

Listening - One Step At A Time!

Kyle001 August 19th, 2022

@fuzzyLemon

Passion fruit...you can try this

MistyMagic September 24th, 2022

@fuzzyLemon How are you getting on a month later? What did you grow so far?

Listening - One Step At A Time!