Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Seeking Help from Fellow Plant Lovers: How Can I Safely Relocate My Beloved Plant?

BerriesInBloom April 23rd, 2023

Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I am reaching out to this forum in the hopes of finding some advice on how to safely move my beloved Monstera plant from upstairs to downstairs. Over time, the plant has grown significantly as I mistakenly repotted it into a very large plastic pot. However, I now realize that the pot is too heavy to lift, and unfortunately, the staircase leading downstairs is not feasible for moving the plant. The steps are not standard and have large gaps between them.

I have considered removing as much soil as possible, taking the plant out of the pot, and moving each element one by one, hoping not to damage the plant too much. However, I am concerned that this might kill the plant. As an alternative, I have considered propagating the plant by taking leaf cuttings to grow a new one downstairs. However, I am not familiar with the process, and I am afraid of failing, ultimately resulting in losing my original plant. I am really attached to this plant and want to do everything possible to ensure its survival.

If anyone has experience moving a plant in a similar situation or any advice on propagating a Monstera plant, I would be grateful for your insights. Thank you in advance for your help!

Lou73 April 25th, 2023

Hi @BerriesInBloom, that does sound like a tricky situation, such a shame that it's on such a heavy pot. I don't know a great deal about gardening but taking soil out of the pot might damage the plant.

I'm hoping they won't mind but I'm going to tag @recliningfate as they know sooo much about plants and might be able to help with suggestions on propagating 😊

Good luck! πŸƒ

recliningfate April 25th, 2023

Thank you for tagging me, Lou!

I find the solution to divide the plant really wise @BerriesInBloom. I have seen several YouTubers use a technique of wrapping some sphagnum moss around a leaf node (the place on the stem below where the leaf sprouts from), keeping it damp at all times and waiting for new roots to sprout.

Once they are well developed, gently cut the leaf with its roots a bit below the node and replant in a new pot. It should be able to sustain itself.

I completely understand the struggle of moving around heavy plants and I do believe moving the plant in chunks is stressful for the plant itself and risking not adapting to the new repotting. So I find that dividing it is a safe way of handling it.

I hope it comes in handy and you pick the solution most comfortable for you!

BerriesInBloom OP April 25th, 2023

@recliningfate Thank you so much for your helpful response! I really appreciate your explanation of the technique with sphagnum moss. I will definitely give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks again for taking the time to share your knowledge!

recliningfate April 27th, 2023

You are welcome, Berries! I hope it results in what you need and that you enjoy your plant.

BerriesInBloom OP April 25th, 2023

@Lou73 Thank you so much for your reply! Have a great day!

Lou73 April 26th, 2023

You're very welcome @BerriesInBloom and thank you for the brilliant guidance @recliningfate! I knew you'd have some great ideas and suggestions πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜„

BerriesInBloom OP May 4th, 2023

@recliningfate @Lou73

Update: someone finally managed to carry the plant through the stairs so all is well, thank you very much for your advice! ❀️

Lou73 May 5th, 2023

Yay really glad to hear this @BerriesInBloom! I hope you enjoy your plant in it's new upstairs home 😊

MistyMagic August 21st, 2023

@BerriesInBloom How is your plant now, is it/he/she happy in their new homey spot?

Listening - One Step At A Time!