Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

crafty DIY Therapy

slowdecline48 May 23rd, 2023

It has been said that any activity that is repetitive, quiet & demands focus for an extended period of time qualifies as meditative. It almost certainly isn't in my case since I cannot achieve that "flow state" (my main medical condition prevents it), but it does have mild therapeutic value...a brief diversion from my problems, quieting the mind a bit, etc. And all without having to take pills, drink, or otherwise mess with my brain chemistry. What activity achieves this?

In my case it's braiding with hemp twine (& sometimes jute & other natural cordage). Occasionally it involves knotwork but mostly it's braiding. If you do it for long enough you can even make useful objects, or have something to wrap a tool handle with, or other good stuff. Plus you can buy hemp twine online for not too many dineros. There are at least two websites I know of that sell it in various weights & colors. You could rent or buy the book Braiding & Knotting Techniques & Projects by Constantine A. Belash to get you started, or just look for basic three-strand & four-strand flat braid instructions online. There are over a dozen YouTube channels that will teach you how if you prefer your intros in video format.

At bottom are snapshots of the current hemp project. I filtered them to reduce the *** apartment lighting effect as best I could. If you are depressed, or maybe you're panicky & need to let off some nervous energy or whatever, give this a try.

hempbelt01_1684822722.png

hempbelt02_1684822747.png

hempbelt03_1684822774.png

slowdecline48 OP May 23rd, 2023
Edit: It is a hemp/jute project....my mistake. The dark braid on the left is jute.
WorkingitThrough2 December 27th, 2023

@slowdecline48

This really looks good and you have done a great job

slowdecline48 OP December 27th, 2023

@WorkingitThrough2 Thanks but it wasn't completed at the time. I'm surprised this got any attention at all...

The funny part is I never used it as a belt after I finished it, because the buckle wasn't strong enough for my preference. A few weeks ago I gave it to a friend...he can use it as a cargo strap or whatever.

I've done a few more flat braids since then, but haven't made them into belts or anything else. Will post pics later if anyone is interested.

WorkingitThrough2 December 27th, 2023

@slowdecline48

Thanks, Decline,  They still look amazing and very strong😊