Community /

Hobby Zone

Create a New Thread
Gif Photo Link
Hobbies Help!
by MistyMagic
Last post
June 14th
...See more Hobbies Help Our Mental Health! Mental health and self-care are intricately linked, and engaging in hobbies can be a powerful tool to support both.  Hobbies are very personal. Each of us likes and chooses something different for our hobbies, and the choice we make can however affect our mental health. Some hobbies can actually raise our stress and frustration levels, especially worrying about getting something right. The painter that can’t capture the painting they want, or the musician that needs to practice for hours every day. So choosing the right hobby for the right time can help to improve our mental health. Having a mix of relaxing and energetic, mindful and chaotic can all help to ease the stresses and pressures of our lives.  Here are a few hobbies known to benefit mental health:-: * Art Therapy: Engaging in artistic activities such as drawing, painting, or sculpting can promote relaxation and self-expression, which are beneficial for managing stress and improving mood. A study published in the Journal of the American Art Therapy Association found that art therapy can reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression. At 7 Cups we have a dedicated Arts & Crafts Community Here * Gardening: Spending time outdoors and caring for plants has been shown to reduce stress and improve overall well-being. Research published in the Journal of Health Psychology suggests that gardening can promote mood enhancement and stress reduction. Gardening is a topic in Hobby Zone so please post Here * Music Therapy: Listening to or creating music can have a profound impact on mental health by reducing stress, promoting relaxation, and enhancing emotional expression. A systematic review published in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews concluded that music therapy can effectively reduce symptoms of depression. Music and Dance Community Here [https://www.7cups.com/forum/music/]  * Physical Exercise: Engaging in physical activities such as walking, running, or yoga can improve both physical and mental health. Regular exercise has been shown to reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression. We have a Sports & Fitness topic Here * Reading & Writing: Immersing oneself in a good book can provide an escape from everyday stressors and promote relaxation. Research published in the Journal of Clinical Psychology found that reading can be an effective form of stress relief, leading to decreased levels of cortisol, the stress hormone. Reading and Writing Community is Here * Cooking and Baking: Cooking or baking can be a creative outlet that allows individuals to express themselves while also providing a sense of accomplishment. Research has shown that engaging in cooking-related activities can improve mood and increase feelings of happiness. Share your recipes Here [https://www.7cups.com/forum/hobbyzone/FoodRecipestoShare_2652/] or share cooking tips Here  [https://www.7cups.com/forum/hobbyzone/Foodallaboutfood_1139/] * Outdoor Activities: Spending time outdoors and engaging in activities such as hiking, camping, or birdwatching can promote feelings of connection to nature and provide opportunities for physical activity and relaxation. Research suggests that spending time in natural environments can reduce stress and improve cognitive function  One special way to make our hobbies work for our mental wealth more is to ‘mindful hobby’. Using simple mindfulness techniques to improve the benefit of our hobby time. Being present in the moment, concentrating on what we are doing rather than letting our minds race. ------------------------- I hope that this has given you all food for thought,  perhaps you will look for a new hobby, or perhaps you may look at your hobbies in a more respectful way;  they are doing you and your mental health more good than you may realise!
🐈‍⬛ The Hobby Zone Taglist!
by MistyMagic
Last post
May 10th
...See more This thread controls an auto-updating taglist. The current list is pasted below. To add yourself to this taglist, press the Reply button in this post and write the exact words “Please add me.” To remove yourself from this taglist, press the Reply button in this post and write the exact words, “Please remove me.” Taglist 20 May 2024 (62) @adaptableOcean4193 @Aileen1114117 @AJ1232005 @Aliceiin3rdwonderland @AquaNyo303 @beachyone @Bella20 @BelovedMe @butdoesanyonenotice @butterlycow @calmmoon2104 @calmSky3414 @charmingSky5972 @confidentrabbit7311 @CosmicMiracle @daydreammemories @DipityEnigma @EchoicEternity @EmotionsListener @FallandWinterPlease00 @Fristo @hiraxx @iloveyouxx @Interestingkiwi @interlligentshawzk @intoxfantasy @jujubears @Katieinbloom @LadyOrgasma @Liv125 @Lou73 @LoveMyMoonflowers @lyricalAngel70 @Merliah001 @MilaAvery @MistyMagic @Mrunal11 @MunchieTaters @mytwistedsoul @NicholasW @Paisleykaat @Paprika001 @practicalTree3613 @PurpleLady568 @SerenitysFire @shiningBeauty72 @SleepyShyCat @SmileSravani @SomebodySpicy13 @SparklingSeashells @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @sweetrosa1987 @ThadSterling @theboymoana @thetoastgod @tidyHickory3283 @victoriousblue17 @warmheartedCamp3360 @WarmLightXO @wisly03 @WorkingitThrough2 @WorriedMagpie
Hobbies and Motivation!
by MistyMagic
Last post
April 22nd
...See more This is Motivational March and so I wanted to discuss with you about your hobbies and what motivates you to get started! Often I find it hard to motivate myself and so I might look at doing other things for a while. If I am in a 'hobby slump' and just want to find another project then that is exactly what I do. So often I might have many 'WIP' work in progress. I also know sometimes I look at all my yarn and knitting needles and groan! I love knitting but sometimes I just want to watch tv! I found my mojo when I wanted a new beanie hat, it was something I could easily knit AND watch tv lol! And, of course I got a warm hat :) So please take a moment to answer the following questions, of perhaps just read and think about them. ? Could you please tell me how you motivate yourself to spend time on your hobbies? ? Which hobby do you feel motivates you the most? ? Which hobby do you find the most rewarding? Join the Hobby Zone Team! [https://www.7cups.com/forum/hobbyzone/EventsAnnouncements_1349/WantedHobbyZoneTeam_280109/]  Add or remove from taglist Here [https://www.7cups.com/forum/hobbyzone/EventsAnnouncements_1349/TheHobbyZoneTaglist_280107/] @Brahmm @adaptableOcean4193 @Aileen1114117 @AJ1232005 @Aliceiin3rdwonderland @beachyone @BelovedMe @butdoesanyonenotice @butterlycow @calmmoon2104 @calmSky3414 @charmingSky5972 @confidentrabbit7311 @CosmicMiracle @DipityEnigma @EchoicEternity @EmotionsListener @FallandWinterPlease00 @hiraxx @Interestingkiwi @interlligentshawzk @intoxfantasy @jujubears @Katieinbloom @LadyOrgasma @Liv125 @Lou73 @LoveMyMoonflowers @lyricalAngel70 @Merliah001 @MilaAvery @MistyMagic @Mrunal11 @MunchieTaters @mytwistedsoul @NicholasW @Paisleykaat @Paprika001 @practicalTree3613 @PurpleLady568 @SerenitysFire @shiningBeauty72 @SleepyShyCat @SmileSravani @SomebodySpicy13 @SparklingSeashells @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @sweetrosa1987 @ThadSterling @theboymoana @thetoastgod @tidyHickory3283 @victoriousblue17 @warmheartedCamp3360 @WarmLightXO @wisly03 @WorkingitThrough2 @WorriedMagpie
Tips and Tricks
by WorkingitThrough2
Last post
January 5th
...See more DIY Tricks and Tips Do you have a draft door? Braid some plastic grocery bags together and seal the gap. Take a pair of tights, Long socks, stockings, or old leggings. Fill with rice or dry beans, pour them into whichever you choose, and lay it at the bottom of your door. This will stop a draft. Stains on a wooden table: Mix a tablespoon of instant coffee and add a few teaspoons of water. Paint it on the scratch and seal it with silicone or polyurethane. Do you know any DIY hacks? Do you know how to patch a hole in your wall?
crafty DIY Therapy
by slowdecline48
Last post
December 27th, 2023
...See more It has been said that any activity that is repetitive, quiet & demands focus for an extended period of time qualifies as meditative. It almost certainly isn't in my case since I cannot achieve that "flow state" (my main medical condition prevents it), but it does have mild therapeutic value...a brief diversion from my problems, quieting the mind a bit, etc. And all without having to take pills, drink, or otherwise mess with my brain chemistry. What activity achieves this? In my case it's braiding with hemp twine (& sometimes jute & other natural cordage). Occasionally it involves knotwork but mostly it's braiding. If you do it for long enough you can even make useful objects, or have something to wrap a tool handle with, or other good stuff. Plus you can buy hemp twine online for not too many dineros. There are at least two websites I know of that sell it in various weights & colors. You could rent or buy the book Braiding & Knotting Techniques & Projects by Constantine A. Belash to get you started, or just look for basic three-strand & four-strand flat braid instructions online. There are over a dozen YouTube channels that will teach you how if you prefer your intros in video format. At bottom are snapshots of the current hemp project. I filtered them to reduce the *** apartment lighting effect as best I could. If you are depressed, or maybe you're panicky & need to let off some nervous energy or whatever, give this a try.
Pixel Art
by skyhikoki
Last post
December 21st, 2023
...See more
DIY and Upcycling!
by MistyMagic
Last post
October 28th, 2023
...See more So we have a new topic heading here now that has been asked for. DIY & Upcycling! Do you have any DIY hobbies? Are you constantly painting, decorating, and making new things to improve your home, Or maybe you scour skips and other people's throw-outs to see what you can make from them? Share with us here!

Hobby Zone

Welcome to Hobby Zone! This is where you can discover and explore how our hobbies can help us maintain good mental health. Hobbies can be therapeutic and promote healing. The purpose of this community is to provide a supportive and inclusive space and to share your hobbies.

What are the different forum topics for Hobby Zone?

Community Space: A place for discussions, check-ins and introductions.

DIY & Upsycling projects: A place for all those DIY discussions and home projects.

Events & Announcements: A place for discussions and events.

Food - recipes to share: A place to share your favourite recipes.

Food - all about food: A place to share your favourite foods.

Gaming: A place to discuss all things relating to games and gaming.

Gardening & other outdoor hobbies: A place for discussions relating to the outdoors and gardening.

Hobby Journals: A place for discussions relating to your hobby journals.

Other hobbies or interests: A place for discussions relating to any other hobbies or interests that you might have.

Pets and Animals: A place for discussions relating to your beloved pets or other animals.

Photography: A place for discussions relating to photography and videography.

Sports & Fitness: A place for discussions relating to your physical fitness and hobbies.

Using hobbies as therapy: A place for discussions relating to your hobbies being used as therapy.

How can I help?

You can help us by simply responding to threads and sharing your story (if you're comfortable). Check-in with us, join a discussion, or start one! Alternatively, you can join us as a Forum Leader. Check out this thread for more information.

Helpful Threads

Taglist: Do you want to stay up to date with our community? Then join our tag list to be notified whenever there is a new discussion or update within the community!

Hobby Zone FAQ

Q: Are there any sub-community-specific guidelines that we need to adhere to?

A: You can find Sub-community-specific guidelines below, which you should follow in addition to the general forum guidelines.

Help! I still have a question! 

If you need help, feel free to contact a community leader or post here, and someone will contact you!

Community Guidelines

Please note that adding a 'Trigger Warning' or [TW] does not make any content acceptable. So please think carefully before posting.

Hobby Zone is a friendly, relaxing, and safe space where we do not expect to have triggery, or triggering artwork, writing, poetry, or other contributions.

• You can start a Hobby Journal or join in with seeing what others are up to.

• You can post your artwork but please make sure it is teen suitable and adheres to 7 Cups guidelines so appropriate attire and content. Please start your own thread and keep ALL artwork in that thread. This will mean that your thread gains upvotes/hearts and will notify everyone when a new post is made.

• You can share your poetry or writing but again please make sure that it is suitable for an emotional support site and is not triggering. If in doubt then please ask a community leader, the names can be found under this 'About' tab below. Please start your own thread and keep ALL writing & poetry work in that thread. This will mean that your thread gains upvotes/hearts and will notify everyone when a new post is made.

• Be wary of clicking on any unknown links as they are not vetted or checked by Hobby Zone or 7 Cups.

• Please avoid giving links to other sites such as YouTube or Spotify for music or video content instead please give the name and song title so that people can safely do their own search and find the content.

Please ensure that ALL content is appropriate for teens as the site is open to members as young as 13.

Inappropriate content will be removed. 

Community Leaders
Forum Supporter
Community Resources

Join the Hobby Zone Team

Join the Hobby Zone taglist to hear all about the newest posts

How to use the new format of forums 

• Arts & Crafts
  • Cooking, Baking, or Barbequing!
  • Fun, and Relaxation
  • Gaming
  • Gardening and other Outdoor Hobbies