Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

World Mental Health Day & Your Hobbies

MistyMagic October 10th, 2023

Hey Everyone! Misty Here!

Today is World Mental Health Day!

Did you know that hobbies can really help with your mental health?

Think of them as 'mental health maintenance'.

Simply taking time to think about yourself and stop for a moment from your hectic mindspace and  pause for a while. Maybe take a walk. Maybe take a run. Maybe hug a tree!

At Hobby Zone we have a whole topic 'Using Hobbies As Therapy so take a look and see how having a hobby can help you!

Perhaps Art or drawing, painting, sketching is for you. It is easy just pick up a pencil and paper take a look at the new Arts & Crafts Community

Some mental health benefits of hobbies

blog10-make-your-brain_1676913448.jpg

• Reduced stress: participating in activities during leisure or spare time has been shown to reduce stress levels. For instance, one study showed approximately 75% of participants cortisol levels (one of the most widely studied hormonal markers of stress) were lowered after making art. Don't consider yourself to be an artistic person? That's okay! This study also showed that prior experience wasn't needed to reduce stress.

• Enhanced well-being: a study in New Zealand found that engaging in creative activities can lead to an improved sense of well-being that may have long-lasting effects. Participants felt a higher positive affect or mood and a sense of flourishing after days when they engaged in a creative activity. 

• Improved social connection, decreases in depression and anxiety: while there are many mental health benefits related to hobbies on your own, group or a team hobbies have also been shown to provide important opportunities for social connection, friendship and support. Research also shows that adults who regularly participate in some kind of team sport are less likely to experience symptoms of depression, anxiety, or stress.

• Improved mental health: hobbies that include physical activity have been linked to many health benefits including reduced stress, reduced blood pressure, and a lower heart rate. But if you take physical activity outside, there are many additional positive benefits. Experts agree that spending as little as 10 minutes in nature can lead to improved mood, focus, and overall well-being.

Full post here credit to @ThadSterling 

This is the link to the Feedback & Ideas form https://forms.gle/vmiJ1tvxK3hGgDec8 Please let us know how we are doing and what you would like to see in Hobby Zone!

Want to join our Hobby Zone Team? We are recruiting now, see this thread here

Please check this post if you want to be added to the tag list!
Tagging the current taglist: @adaptableOcean4193 @Aileen1114117 @AJ1232005 @Aliceiin3rdwonderland @beachyone @BelovedMe @butdoesanyonenotice @butterlycow @calmmoon2104 @calmSky3414 @charmingSky5972 @confidentrabbit7311 @CosmicMiracle @DipityEnigma @EchoicEternity @EmotionsListener @FallandWinterPlease00 @GreenFairie @hiraxx @Interestingkiwi @interlligentshawzk @intoxfantasy @jujubears @Katieinbloom @LadyOrgasma @Liv125 @Lou73 @LoveMyMoonflowers @lyricalAngel70 @Merliah001 @MilaAvery @MistyMagic @Mrunal11 @MunchieTaters @mytwistedsoul @NicholasW @Paisleykaat @Paprika001 @practicalTree3613 @PurpleLady568 @SerenitysFire @SleepyShyCat @SmileSravani @SomebodySpicy13 @SparklingSeashells @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @sweetrosa1987 @ThadSterling @theboymoana @thetoastgod @tidyHickory3283 @victoriousblue17 @warmheartedCamp3360 @WarmLightXO @WorkingitThrough2 @WorriedMagpie
SomebodySpicy13 October 10th, 2023

@MistyMagic

I love using hobbies to help aid my mental health and reduce stress. It's something my therapist has suggested I do a lot more of. 

You can really see the benefits of doing so. For example when I use colouring to reduce stress, I get so relaxed I start falling asleep 😅 (luckily I haven't ruined any pictures as I tidy away when I get tired) 

But this just goes to show that you really can use hobbies to aid your mental health and it is very beneficial 

TheToastGod October 10th, 2023

@MistyMagic

Awesome post! I really like how you talked about social connection and how it helps with mental health. College definitely helped me become more social and this helped me improve my mental health through friendships and be comfortable with talking about mental health topics :)

serendipity0002 October 10th, 2023

WorkingitThrough2 October 10th, 2023

@MistyMagic

Thank you for the indept information. Crafting really does help❤️

Tinywhisper11 October 11th, 2023

@MistyMagic I do all sorts of arts and crafts, it definetly helps to feel proud of yourself by doing something fun ❤❤

Mrunal11 October 15th, 2023

@Helgafy