Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Need to lose 50lb's

PreciousReflection October 3rd, 2023

I need to lose about 50 pounds to reach my ideal weight. In the past I've tried working with a nutritionist. At one point I lost 30 pounds but gained it all back from ordering takeout. I am somewhat discouraged. Not sure what to try next. My friend says the Keto diet worked for him.

Maybe I should start weighing myself every day? Or I've heard some good things about Noom, although it is kind of expensive. What has worked for other people? I really do want to lose the weight, but not too excited about the prospect of counting calories. I think it is possible to lose 50 pounds, but perhaps a very hard challenge.

Thanks for reading.

toughTiger6481 October 3rd, 2023

@PreciousReflection

Diets do not work in long haul ... only changing your lifestyle stays .... that includes giving up takeout and whatever foods you may like for good not for a specific diet time frame then going back eating as you did ....

That is the idea behind Noom as well ... knowing if you mindlessly eat or eat during stress etc. i think some of us know what gets us in trouble .... eating with distraction like watching tv ... portion sizes ... bored or stress eating... i eat when angry for example....

Fitness trackers and truthfully logging your food helps find a exercise you can fit into several times a week or daily walking for example ...... IMO some people think they walk a great deal farther then they will show on a tracker .... serving size is an issue with spouse so i only make enough for that no leftovers or extra helpings.... when logging food i find people see the calories and freak saying i only had 1 piece of pizza when they had 2 .... big difference like 300 vs 600 calories.

logging all drinks we may consume more through that then we realize some Starbucks frothy whipped cream type are close to 1200 calories and had a friend log as black drip coffee and complain logging was not helping lol

Finally being accountable to yourself .... I find i cannot lie to myself .... i did not forget to log that mini size candy everyone seems to have this time of year... or that i walked 5 miles my tracker shows 1.5 miles.

Hope that helps.... once you are ready to start you may pick a program but remember weight loss industry is a 72 billion dollars a year industry and guess what ...... they want REPEAT customers ... not interested or care if you keep it off.

PreciousReflection OP October 4th, 2023

@toughTiger6481

Hey thanks for the thoughtful reply, I do appreciate it. Still not sure about logging all my food but I do have a fitness tracker and regularly go for walks. But still tend to stress eat a little bit at night. Not as much as I used to, but it must add up over time, I guess.

Maybe if I physically got myself on the scale each morning that would help me become more conscious of my weight. Right now, I don't really even think about it, but I know I am 50 pounds overweight.

Something's got to change, somehow. Thanks again.

compassionateCar7091 October 4th, 2023

I totally understand, I've been struggling with losing weight myself and keeping it off, good luck to you

PreciousReflection OP October 5th, 2023

@SociusVj

Thanks for your feedback, SociusVj. I haven't really made any changes yet to my eating and exercise routine. I still get daily exercise and don't overdo eating as much as I've done in the past, but I still sometimes do some stress eating at night and my snacks are not always the healthiest.

At some point I'd like to try to address this whether through using Noom (if I can afford it) or trying some other approach. There is so much other stuff going on in my life it's hard to think about trying to find time to make weight loss a priority, but I know it's important to focus on. Making small sustainable changes as you suggested seems like a good idea.

Is there anyone else out there who's finally decided to change their life and lose the weight? What was instrumental in making the decision to change your lifestyle? I remember losing 30 pounds last year, and it was really hard and took a lot of discipline, but I did feel a lot better with the weight gone. I just wish I could have kept it off. Maybe now going into the future I'll be able to do a better job.

Thanks for reading and good luck.

Themaninblackxxx October 5th, 2023

@PreciousReflection

Do some regular resistance training consistently (weights or body weight)

Don't count calories but do avoid sugar

The weight will come off and you will get a better shape

Weight training and more muscle increases your metabolism

Combine it with walking too

You don't have to put a lot of effort in to begin with - start slow, that is the best way

and be patient

No need to weigh yourself, you will feel your body becoming leaner, clothes fitting better/looser etc

Weighing yourself is silly - it's just a number, it doesn't tell you how much fat or water in your body, so forget that

Good luck!

Themaninblackxxx October 5th, 2023

@Themaninblackxxx

I just wanted to add. It doesn't have to be hard work. People think they have to make this big effort and its not true. Your body naturally wants to be healthier. You don't have to force anything. You just need to unlearn unhealthy habits and listen to your body

yellowCircle1647 October 5th, 2023

I have been doing exercise and intermittent fasting. Lost 11 lbs so far in last month.