Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Trying a Dietitian

Disabledfemme September 23rd, 2015

Hey everyone, I recently got a new (amazing) GP and he has really listened to my issues surrounding my health concerns.

I was in a car accident 2 years ago that left me physically disabled with chronic pain from multiple conditions that basically leave me unable to exercise in many easy conventional ways. Prior to my car accident, I was very active, going to the gym multiple times a week and enjoying being a healthy 180lbs at 5'8''.

Since the accident, I went through many months of rehabilitation and relearning how to walk, etc. I gained a lot of weight from being on bed rest and being on so much medication. I'm back up to 240lbs with a waist of 44" and I can't do much more exercise than a bit of wiifit or walking or stretching (modified yoga at best).

So my new GP's wife is a dietitian and he said he would love for me to have a visit with her and try her out and see if that would make a difference. Boy, after two years of not giving a crap and quite frankly using food as comfort it's harder to eat right than I thought it would be purely due to so much cheap fast food temptation there is out there.

So my dietitian guidelines are as follows:

-1800 calories a day
-eliminate pop
-eliminate potato chips + chocolate
-eat breakfast
-eat every 4 hours you're awake
-as much fruit, veggies and protein as possible
-drink a lot of water
-get a pedometer and try for 5K steps (10K is daily average/abled person)

let's see how I do after a month! :)

Anyone have any experiences with a dietitian? What was their advice? Did it help? Did you enjoy the experience?

Jessgirl5 September 23rd, 2015

My little brother has been seeing a dietitian since he was little due to being underweight and he has come a long way! I had to go when I was first diagnosed with celiac disease and it did wonders for me too! I am now a healthy weight and I love it so much more!

I lope you have a good experience with yours too :) it's awesome to hear that even with your accident you can keep yourself healthy :) I know some who would give up and not bother trying. Good for you!

DapperCucumber October 28th, 2015

I went to this dietician and she was really horrible.

She kept talking over me and being condescending. I was asking her valid questions and she pretty much laughed at me. I knew some things and had some experience I was just sort of looking for maybe a specific meal plan or something like that but she assumed because I'm fat I knew nothing and was very rude and she talked to me like I'm stupid or something. Really negative experience. Never been to one since. Was probably supposed to but between that experience and this other lady who worked at my GP's office (the dietician worked in this building as well) I'm put off searching for outside help in my weight loss. I had an appointment with an obesity clinic but I had school that day so I had to cancel it and never really got around to re-making it I think. But this was last year. I think the dietician was this year. Or was that last year too?

Either way, completely put off outside help. And family is not at all helpful either.

peacefulSoul8 November 21st, 2015

I see a dietician and am practising mindful eating its great:)!