Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

We need a support program for overpressured students.

spectacularNight2993 June 18th, 2022

I've only been a listener for a month or 2, but it seems like at least 3/4 of the people I talk to are suffering from the same thing: their parents are over-pressuring them to get perfect grades. They are always depressed, many times self harm, giving up hope about their future, and just emotionally abused overall.

I propose that the Group community come up with a subcommunity and program to address this issue. Some of the things I feel should be included:

• It is NOT necessary to get perfect grades.
  • People in general are not perfect, and it's irrational to expect them to be.
  • You are valued and loved regardless of what grades you get in school.
  • School should be fun, and you should have time to enjoy life outside of studying.
  • You should be free to choose what academic subjects you want to study because it's your life! Parents have no right to choose which path we study, just like they have NO right to tell us who to marry, or which gender we are, or which gender we are attracted to.
  • Any parents to violate these things are committing emotional abuse.

Is this something that the Group team can look into? I dont know if you've taken these chats before but they are almost all the same set of stresses. And yet I dont see anything already in place to help them. Kids are being abused in the name of academic success, and we need to do something about it!

SparklingSeashells June 21st, 2022

@spectacularNight2993

I completely get where you are coming from! I don't know how it might work though... Maybe needs to be associated with bullying/pressure?

Hope someone can help!

I cannot remember where to look, but there's a forum under a sub com about ideas and changes for cups, maybe you could repost this there so that it may be more likely to be seen?

sophiasanae June 26th, 2022

@spectacularNight2993

Hey there! Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention. I'm Sophia and I manage the discussions team and script-writing for TOZ. We actually have a discussion topic called "Student Support" where we address some of these issues. However, I would love to create new scripts that are specifically about what you talked about! This is a great idea!

spectacularNight2993 OP June 26th, 2022

@sophiasanae

Thanks Sophia,

I know there is chat categories like "student support" but this specific problem seems to come up over and over again. And in a way it really has nothing to do with "school" or student-anything. Its a parenting problem where parents are forcing kids to do the impossible and punishing them as if they broke a rule when they aren't perfect. It's so sad! It would be like if a parent forced their kid to be a pro athlete and forced them to exercise for 6 hours a day and punished them for not winning every single game. :(

sophiasanae June 28th, 2022

Hmm I get what you’re saying! And I agree with you, it is sad! I’ll message you and maybe we can talk more about your ideas for tackling this issue?