Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Leading a Discussion TIPS

HopieRemi June 20th, 2017

Here are my tips if you plan on leading a discussion or if you are new to discussions.

Discussions must have at least ONE group mod!

1) Before you ever lead a discussion, get used to talking in groups and supporting users in groups.

I mention this because when you are in a discussion, you can have a lot of members sharing and if you are not used to many members sharing parts of their story, it can feel overwhelming for someone who is not used to the flow of a group room. While a discussion, there is that common thread of a question unlike in a group room where everyone is trying to get support, just being able to support many people in a room without a discussion can give you a backbone in the discussion leading.

2) Read through the questions that you will ask, anticipate any answers, and know your stuff.

This is important because if you are leading a discussion, it might help if you know what you are talking about and sound prepared. It might not seem like a lot but if you are abe to have a simple grasp of what you are going to be talking about, it can help in leading the discussion. Members can tell when a discussion leader is prepared versus just copying and pasting replies. It helps to anticipate answers that might happen, and write them on the side of your discussion to include when you end up summarizing if you choose to do so.

3) Time Spent on Questions

A good rule of thumb is that if there are 10 questions, you spend around 5 minutes on each. But this being said, if the members are done answering a question, don't feel like you have to stay on the question. Quiet pauses or times where members are not talking about the questions anymore can cause a drop in numbers in your discussion and cause members to feel bored. Scan the room, before moving on to the next question, ask them if they are ready to move on or if anyone has any more thoughts, wait a minute or so, then post the next question.

4) Replying to members directly

When you are replying to a member in a discussion, you are going to reflect, validate, and empathize with the member. I like to point out something good that they mentioned if anything like that. Something else I really like to do is thank them for sharing their story or thank them for their answer. If it is a question that's not too personal, I like to say something like "That's a really good answer."

5) There are so many members, I can't respond to all their replies!

When I have a lot of members in the room, I let them know that there are a lot of them and that I might not acknowledge every single one of them, but that I am reading every single reply. Something I do to make sure that they know that I have heard all of them is instead of replying to each member, I summarize what the room said for that question. Some questions that are perfect for summarizing are things that involve them sharing coping methods, types of thoughts, etc.

6) Do I summarize their responses together or do I reply to a few of them?

This can really depend on the room itself. I find that you will know when you are leading the discussion if the situation calls for you to summarize or not. But if you find that most people are saying the same things, you can be like "Sounds like most of the room... "

Some good phrases to help summarize

"Sounds like most of you...."

"So some ____ are: "

"I can see a mix of different views here, some ___ while others __"

Some good phrases to help validate a sharing member

"I am sorry to hear ___"

"I am glad to hear ___"

"It sounds like ___ would be ___"

Feel free to share any tips you might have when it comes to leading a discussion! If anyone has any questions, feel free to post or PM me. I am willing to help someone who is nervous about leading a discussion!

Juniter June 20th, 2017

@BurningEmber These all look like great things to remember while leading discussions.

I've never led any discussions, but I'd like to share what some other discussion leaders do.

Depending on the room, it can help to spend time in the room other than just during discussions. I know that some rooms are usually quiet, but it can help to get to know the members better.

I know that a lot of discussion leaders ask the members to rate how they're feeling on a scale of one to ten at the beginning and end of the discussion. I saw a leader that knew all the numbers from the beginning and was able to talk to the members about it, saying she was glad some improved and hoped the others would improve soon. I think with something like that, it can help to maybe write down things members say if it will help members see that you care.

Though this should be obvious, don't show favoritism in a discussion, or ever. Unfortunately, I've seen leaders that only respond to certain members, and I don't mean that they respond to a few and summarize the rest. They will respond to the same few members every question and ignore the rest, and that's not inclusive or okay. Also, I don't think you should respond to one member because you can relate better or you find what they said more interesting. Either respond to most then summarize, summarize all of the answers, or respond to all of them if you can.

That's just what I've seen and liked, but I know not everyone will agree.

HopieRemi OP June 20th, 2017

@Juniter

I agree with you! Showing that you favorite someone is never okay in any context, especially in a discussion! Great tips!

biddybuddy123 September 10th, 2021

Very hepful, thanks

HopieRemi OP September 10th, 2021

@biddybuddy123

I am glad that you found these helpful

ItsPreeti June 20th, 2017

@BurningEmber
Thank you for this laugh
Woah !!! These are so nice tips !!!
I would
like to follow them for my future discussions smiley

tagging :-@CaringBrit ,@RainbowTrie ,@Keanan @Ady23 ,@UnicornBunny,@MisterGreenEyes,@CoolBlueMoon2,@kishore1995,@sunsetLion15,@sujaypai

sujaypai June 20th, 2017

@BurningEmber What do you suggest when the room is like moving really very fast with 30 - 40 members or more and everyone has their reply. In this case infact it is not even possible to read all the replies.

@sujaypai

when a room is moving very fast I like to let them know that it's pretty fast and I might not be able to reply to every single one of them. I also like to politely ask them to slow the chat down by only answering the questions and responding to to questions so that the chat can slow down

sujaypai June 20th, 2017

@BurningEmber I like your post overall Ember. But there are times when some members feel they were left out and replied half of the time eventhough there is no intention on the part of the discussion leader to do so.

@sujaypai

That is going to happen at times in a busy room, that is why it is important to either summarize everyone or call out someone at least once in the entire thing. Also remind them that side conversations can be taken to other rooms and that since this is a discussion, and there are a lot of people answering, you might not be able to reply to every single response but you read them and you appreciate it.

HopieRemi OP June 22nd, 2017

I have moved this thread to the Listener Learning Journey because all listeners, not just group mods, should have these tips.

Alex June 23rd, 2017

@BurningEmber This is super duper helpful - thanks for taking the time to write this up! You're amazing!

Tagging my amazing Teen Anxiety Support Team so that they know that this resource is available to them: @ZizyTheTurtle @Viana @CelegnirCuthalion @KatMae @Kaylee @KaylaRS @Keanan @HummingWisdom179 @ItsMichelle

Bella20 June 23rd, 2017

@Alex

Thanks Alex!! I needed this <3

HopieRemi OP June 23rd, 2017

@Alex

You are welcome!

HopieRemi OP June 23rd, 2017

Going to tag my team member leaders ( Coleaders too) @PoliteOcean @YayyySphere

@Kara @TheAsh @CelegnirCuthalion @JovialOne @CoolVibes @PassionatePeyton @SpunkyMonkey100 @UnicornRiley @Becca9345 @SailorElix

@Eunoia @Elune @giantwillow93 @Mila0913 @magicalStrawberry88 @magicalStrawberry88 @InvaderStitch @happy22IceCream @Emily619 @colourfulSpring22 @Sarra @Viana @ItsMichelle @blissfulGrace96 @FrozenYoghurt

AnyaS June 29th, 2017

Thank you so much for this helpful post! <3 @BurningEmber

HopieRemi OP July 13th, 2017

@Sarra

<3

Erato September 2nd, 2017

*pokes* Thank you for posting this, Ember!

HopieRemi OP September 2nd, 2017

@Erato

you are welcome

peacefulHug92 February 14th, 2018

@BurningEmber this has been really helpful - thank you! I'm co-leading my first discussion on Friday - I'm really excited! ❤

HopieRemi OP February 14th, 2018

@peacefulHug92

you are welcome! Good luck!!

Emily619 February 17th, 2018

I'm so glad this important thread was bumped! smiley This is definitely a super helpful resource for discussion leaders heart

Lotsoflove84 March 7th, 2018

@BurningEmber

This is very informative. Thank you. I would very much like to lead my own discussion.

RideaRainbow March 8th, 2018

Very well put together discussion tips Ember will share with my team and co-hosts.

@Juniter totally agree with you, it is imperative to give everyone a feeling of being heard and included and ensure that the quieter participants are drawn into the discussion, I always do that consciously. The same applies to all the meetings held on 7 cups..... ALL should feel a part of it and not feel that they are invisible !!!

delightfulUnicorn38 July 30th, 2019

@HopieRemi

Thank you

DestinedStar August 14th, 2019

This is so helpful thank you!

tranquilbear14 May 23rd, 2021

@HopieRemi

thank you for the post!

HopieRemi OP June 17th, 2021

@tranquilbear14
You're welcome ^_^

HopieRemi OP August 8th, 2021

Bump!

kindLemonade August 21st, 2021

@HopieRemi
Wow, awesome tips!

HopieRemi OP August 21st, 2021

@kindLemonade

Glad you appreciated them!

Happy900 August 11th, 2022

@kindLemonade Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

goldenRiver74 August 22nd, 2021

These are great tips! Will definitely take to note thank you :)

HopieRemi OP August 22nd, 2021

Awesome. I am glad to hear that you got use of these.

@goldenRiver74 Glad to hear this.

HopieRemi OP December 11th, 2021

bump

Hopie

Aliceiin3rdwonderland June 22nd, 2022

@HopieRemi

Thanks for sharingyourinsights💐💖, it answered a lot of my questions.🌹

HopieRemi OP June 22nd, 2022

You’re welcome! @Aliceiin3rdwonderland

@Aliceiin3rdwonderland Glad to hear this.

@HopieRemi Thanks for sharing this tips with us.

I enjoyed reading them.

HopieRemi OP August 20th, 2022

@Happy900 You're welcome