Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Easy 7 Steps Guide for the First-Time 7Cups Chatroom Host

March 25th, 2022

Easy 7 Steps Guide for the First-Time 7Cups Chatroom Host

Welcome to the wonderful world of chatroom hosting! Hosting can be a fun, fulfilling experience, but can be stressful and confusing at first. Here's a guide that can help! Also, read this post on who can host.

Step 1: Choose a discussion script. There is a vast variety of discussion scripts at 7Cups you can host. For getting started, you can host a 30-minute pop-up any time of the day! Read about more hosting opportunities here.

Step 2: Study your script. Go through the discussion script you will be hosting to get familiar with it.

Step 3: Decide when. Decide the time and day when you would like to host the discussion/event. You can optionally advertise your event on the community calendar!

Step 4: Find a doorkeeper. A doorkeeper is someone who can open and close our special rooms! All doorkeepers are listed here. Please try to find a doorkeeper to open the room for your chatroom session 10-20 minutes before you start.

You can also find a doorkeeper by

1) Using the doorkeeper request form.

2) If you are a listener, go to the listener support room/teen listeners room and ask for a doorkeeper.

3) Drop a message to the community mod on duty. Find their schedule here.

Step 5: Send invitations 15 minutes before your session. Go to chatrooms and send invitations!

You're all invited to join in ___room for a ____ (name of the session) starting in about 15 minutes! Hope to see you there!

If there is a discussion going on in a room, ask for permission before sending the invitation.

Additionally, you can ask a community mod to set an alert for your chatroom event!

Step 6: Set the banner. The chatroom banner shows the title of the event. Check here to know who can set the banner for you. Or feel free to ask the com mod on duty to set it for you.

Step 7: Spend the first 5-10 minutes breaking the ice and familiarizing with the chatroom environment! Use an icebreaker from the discussion script, or make your own icebreaker. (You may use any icebreaker as long as it satisfies the community guidelines.) Make yourself at home, ultimately these sessions are to provide support and create community, and you're a part of our community! Try to enjoy :)

4 little things to remember for the hosting to go well!

• If there are few participants in the room, be your own participant and answer your own questions to encourage engagement! If it's slow, it's always okay to wait until someone joins the room. Welcome them and share the current question with them. Remember, two is a party too!

• If there are many participants in the room and the activity feels overwhelming, take your time. Use the welcoming script message for the participants entering the room during the event. Here's an example of a welcoming message.

Welcome everyone entering! We're currently chatting about ___. Our current question is: (state the current discussion question) Please feel free to join us!

• In any circumstance, self-care. Make sure you are in good shape to host a session and are feeling calm during the event. If not, there is no problem in politely ending the session mid-way or asking if someone in the room can take over for you as a co-host. Because you matter <3

After you have ended the event, reach out to a doorkeeper or a com mod to get the room closed.

That's it! Heartfelt thanks to you for showing interest in hosting a 7Cups Chatroom Event.

Sunisshiningandsoareyou March 27th, 2022

Woohooo @Fristo, good to see this post, finally :P

It is indeed an incredibly helpful hosting guide and I'm certain it will benefit to many. Thanks for creating this useful guide. ❤

Happy hosting, all! 🤗

electricTouch2533 June 18th, 2022

@Fristo

Thank you for putting all this together in a clear and comprehensive manner! I'm sure this will be very helpful! 💜

*adds the post to her notes collection*

soulsings June 18th, 2022

@Fristo great advice to new chat hosts.

I might add that setting the banner 5 minutes early adds an announcement in join a discussion link which helps draw more people. If you have a cohost you can also announce again right before starting if you are facing few participants.

I find that if I am hosting alone (better to have a cohost) and I have a disruption in the room that a simple verbal warning has not dealt with, it is a good idea if there is a youtube video in your script, to post the video link to give me time to take screen shots of offending remarks and verbally try to get the discussion back on track. There are many screened videos here that you could use https://www.7cups.com/forum/MindfulnessSupportCommunity_106/ResourceLibrary_1062/

I do not always complete all the questions on a template by the end of the discusion. To me the most important thing is to have a lively supportive discussion, so I wait until the conversation seems to be slowing down to ask "Any other thoughts or are we ready for next question?" before moving on to the next question. That means everyone usually gets a chance to answer and members feel they are actively participating in how the discussion runs.

soulsings

June 19th, 2022

@soulsings wonderful insights and suggestions, soul

soulsings June 20th, 2022

@Fristo thank you for your kind words!

Happy900 August 13th, 2022

@soulsings Thanks for sharing your tips.

Your amazing, my friend.

GoldenNest2727 August 20th, 2022

@soulsings

I really admire that about the mindfulness discussion leaders. You guys handle interruptions with grace, and you do a fantastic job of making us all feel heard and validated, even in a busy room. You guys are talented hosts!

June 24th, 2022

@Fristo 🧡 one can graduate from GLDD by just reading this alone haha.

Thank you for sharing the detailed process. This is going to help a lot of first time hosts..

vivelespatates July 15th, 2022

stressed about leading a first discussion?
unsure how process, scared to forget something like follow questions, use the right time for each question, welcome everyone, make everyone feel heard?

You are ready to schedule a bit in advance and would like have an experienced host or a mod with you in your first discussion? either for co-lead or just be present for backup if need, guide you, make sure you dont forget anything, or even just to provide with feedback or tips during or after your session...

As Support Room Mentor, I've hosted and moderated hundreds of discussions, trained and helped many new discussion leaders to get started and I would be happy to help you with your first discussions, in function of your preferences and needs, no matter the room or the topic you are interested in!

I remember how I was stressed in my first discussions and how having someone available around has helped me to overcome this stress and develop a passion for guided discussions and supports sessions, and I want everyone can get this accompaniment and develop a new passion.

Happy900 August 11th, 2022

@vivelespatates When I was in the roll of support room mentor.

I was unsure about hosting an event.

But over time, it grew on me.

I got better doing it.

So for those who are new to hosting, it takes time to get the hang of it.

But over time, you will get better at it.

Hosting is like riding a bike.

You just do not expect to be a good rider, right from the get go.

It takes practice practice, until one day you can ride it with out any help.

Hosting is the same way.

The more you host the better you become.

For all those who are new to hosting, I would suggest having a co-host for a bit or co-host an event with some one, until you get the hang of it.

I hope this helps.

DelicateButterfly78 August 1st, 2022

@Fristo

Thank you for putting this together for us! This is really helpful.

Happy900 August 11th, 2022

@Fristo Thanks for sharing these tips with us.