Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

A message to group mods~ IMPORTANT

HopieRemi June 15th, 2017

I mentioned this in the rooms earlier, but I thought that it was too important just for the people who were there to hear it. I think it is very important that we remember that when we are in a member room, that we are wearing a badge that shows that we are a leader, so we are expected to act as such. Members and other listeners are going to be looking up to us when we are in the rooms, so it is our responsibility to make sure that we are treating everyone fairly. It doesn't look well when a member and a group mod get into a public argument. Sometimes it can be hard when a member points us out, but this is where your leadership comes in, and you have to take the higher ground and step away, swap with another mod or call for backup.

Something else that I feel we should avoid is openly disagreeing with each other as moderators in the room. I am not saying we are all going to always agree, but I am saying that if this is done openly, it takes away from the support that goes for members, and arguments between mods can be confusing for the members, especially when it is about a rule. Also, I feel that if you are a new to modding on 7cups and a mod states something in the room about a rule, you shouldn't challenge them in the room. Not only is it disrespectful and arrogant to someone with more experience, but it just like I stated before takes away from the purpose of the room.

One more thing, don't assume that you can be laid back in a room just because it is mostly chit chat or the room is not a "support" room. In all of the rooms, you are expected to be professional, supportive. Basically, when you are logged into your listener account, and you are in a room, you are there to support and to be an active listener. It's okay to be silly, yes, but you shouldn't be afraid to be a mod, either. You have to enforce the rules.

Before I wrap up this long forum post, I want to add, for your first few weeks as a new mod, and sometimes even more than that, you really should mod with your group mod buddy. I know that it is not mandatory, but it really helps you improve and can help make sure you stay a mod on 7cups!

Alright, I think I have held your time enough, and to those who actually read my whole message, thank you.

- BurningEmber.

LeetheUnicorn June 15th, 2017

@BurningEmber

I think this can be a very valuable post to the mod community that you for posting this. I have seen this happening a lot and I am glad that you have mentioned it here

HopieRemi OP June 15th, 2017

@TheAsh

Thank you and you're welcome!

@BurningEmber tagging some people who might like to see this @JovialOne @AnimalHugger @Azurentz @ClearMindSpirit @Darren291214

AnimalHugger June 15th, 2017

@TheAsh any specific reason I'd like to this for ?

SpunkyMonkey100 June 15th, 2017

@BurningEmber i wish there were orientation days, or perhaps even certain days where a room of some sort gets opened up which would present us all (both the older mods and the newly elected ones) an opportunity to meet and greet each other, and it's not like we randomly bump into each other in a room like "who's this new guy?" just spitballing a suggestion, as i agree with you wholeheartedly, but maybe that introduction would allow us that chance to get to know each other right off the bat, to build up a rapport with each other, and to work more cohesively as well :) just Spunky's lil 2 cents ^_^

@SpunkyMonkey100 we have group mod zone but a meet and greet in there would be kinda cool

@TheAsh i know but in all fairness and let's be completely transparent and realistic here...the mod zone is as dead as a doornail apart from when someone is advertising their discussions

@SpunkyMonkey100 maybe if it was advised and the banner was up then it could work

@SpunkyMonkey100

We used the group mod zone just last night actually! It wasn't dead. And we do have discussions in the group mod zone to help further educate new mods! There are ways that a new mod can reach out. :) I agree the mod zone can be used more often though!

@BurningEmber i mean yeah, you're right! it does have its moments, which are moments i probably don't get to witness too often because of where i live (damn timezones) >_< but i guess i can only go by what i see, and that's that most of the time all it is is people spruiking their upocoming discussions like they're a town crier. now i'm not saying there's anything wrong with that! no, not at all! but yeah it would DEFINITELY be cool to see some more activity :) great post too btw

@SpunkyMonkey100

Thank you. Yeah. Having more activity in there would be great, but it might not always be possible. A lot of badge locked rooms tend to be dead. That is why we pair people up with group mod buddies and you can let a group mod leader if your buddy is not helpful for you. It might help if people realized announcing their discussions to a dead room won't get them people to their discussions because then we could pass important messages and come back for the answer and such. But also another great learning resource, Tristian, is these forums. The group mod zone forums are full of valuable insight from years. There are so many resources here at your fingertips, you just have to search through it. The forums are the best place to store educational information because forums are forever.

fluffyUnicorns84 June 15th, 2017

@SpunkyMonkey100 that's why we have the group mod meetings too although heather not been available recently hopefully they will be happening again soon.

Meet and greet does sound kinda cool though :o

@missz @jenna @heather

AnyaS June 19th, 2017

Hoping I can get back on with Mod Discussions in TMZ after July 2nd, when I am free again to help around on 7 Cups, just a heads up to you! <3 Hope all is well with you! Feel free to drop me a PM! :) @fluffyUnicorns84

HopieRemi OP June 19th, 2017

@Sarra

that would be good. We need that on adult side.

June 15th, 2017

I wholeheartedly agree with everything!! :)

I'd also like to second the final point..moderator buddies are here for your own benefit. Learning from them, with them, will only enhance your experience as a moderator, and it will without a doubt make you better at your role. At the end of the day, moderating is Afterall a never ending learning opportunity.

@Kara

For sure, modding is a learning experience! and you don't learn well alone.

jga75 June 15th, 2017

@BurningEmber it is but can ONLY happen when we are support each other and are on the same page1

jga75 June 15th, 2017

@BurningEmber i feel this is true. But, as a new mod i havent felt supported. I think this community can do more to make new mod feel welcome and follow through.

jga75 June 15th, 2017

i never had a mod buddy. There are holes here that this community can fix.

@jga75 everyone is assigned a mod buddy please talk to Jenna or fluffy if you do not have one

@jga75

If you have not gotten a group mod buddy, there is a problem yes. You can message @FluffyUnicorns84 though to get yourself a group mod buddy. I am sorry to hear that you have not felt supported as a group mod. Consider messaging a group mod leader.

fluffyUnicorns84 June 15th, 2017

@jga75 I pm myself with your mod buddy, however if they issues you can contact myself or any other modleader.

jga75 June 15th, 2017

i havent felt welcome since i started. i offer my time but there is lack of community here. I would say hello to a few people and they would never answer. I feel its important as part of this, to keep in contact, welcome new members to the "staff". I have no felt this as of yet and is saddening.

jga75 June 15th, 2017

i was said one was there, but never happened. Also, i have found in my experience so far that not all but most of the moderators aren't interested in talking to me. I did this to offer who i am and make this place safer. I expect more from the staff.

@jga75 I am sorry to hear that but you do tend to be in rooms that are currently need to be modded, which means our attention is more on the members and supporting them. Also if you have a mod buddy please reach out to them and mod with them as Em mentioned, it can be helpful and you can learn from them.

jga75 June 15th, 2017

@TheAsh HI ash, i make a priority to go to rooms that dont have a moderator. As far as the mod buddy even some others i have talked to they didnt get it either! I have even supported a couple in diffiult situations as a peer worker myself. I am just saying there is lots of room for improvement here.

@jga75 I get that but we aren't really here to support each other, we are here to help each other in the rooms and maybe form a professional relationship for each other. Our role is to support the members in the rooms and keep the rooms safe. If you need support about your feelings of being a mod that is more of a peer supporters role not a mods.

jga75 June 15th, 2017

@TheAsh I am not talking about personal feelings i am talking about communication! I dont see a lot team work and this is whats needed. I am sorry you misundersood what i was saying.

@jga75 That is because mods communicate through PMs when we are modding, just because you don't see it doesn't mean that it's not happening

June 15th, 2017

Oh, and, my second post, but!

If you ever feel like you need some moderator-related help, my PMs are always open :) I'm on the group mod buddy rota, so if it's a simple question or an extensive 'battering' of questions I'm always free!

We were all new once, it's okay to reach out for help.

jga75 June 15th, 2017

@Kara Thank you kara.

AutumnLeigh June 15th, 2017

@Kara @jga75

Kara, thank you so much for your kind offer!

jga, I know it's difficult to be 'new' and you definitely deserve support and guidance. I, too am a Mod Buddy. In my rather long experience, I've been partnered with several new mods and sadly, the majority decide to jump into rooms without an experienced partner. I agree we should work together and know each other; this system really needs to work both ways.

I would have loved to have been partnered with you, someone who actually wants support and is mindful of being a quality moderator. Welcome to the team! ~Leigh

@AutumnLeigh

Thank you for being so kind to offer, Leigh!

ItsPreeti June 15th, 2017

Wow @BurningEmber. This thread was much needed . Thank you for this.

I strongly agree that mods shouldn't disagree with each other as Mods we are a team smiley We all have different perspectives regarding something and if like two mods in pm continue disagreement then the questions can be asked in Group Mod Zone if I am not wrong .

Thirdly I feel there are new Mods. It takes time for new mods to adjust to such role.In giving the application it's easy but to maintain the position it takes time. So I feel they should contact mod buddy or any mod can help them .Mods never hesitate to help

Fourthly when we are in trouble it's best to have other mod around. As there is other mod to handle situations. We do get triggered but that's the point where we need to follow our role. It's best to be either out of such situation and call a mod if suppose no mod there try deep breathe in

Thank you for such a sweet reminder smiley

Tagging@Becca9345 , @XiTalksSoft, @TheHearter,

@BurningEmber

Thank you for your awesome post! I would like to add a few concerns we can all help with. smiley

Many of us announce in all available rooms that we are about to begin a discussion and ask people to join us. Though I like to see those posts, PLEASE be mindful that discussions may already be going on in some rooms. Checking the discussions in progress prior to posting is a tip I find useful. Take a second to check for a blue discussion banner in each room before announcing your discussion and please skip over rooms that are only open during discussions such as the Events or Support Rooms. Members are often confused when seeing other discussion announcements during ongoing discussions.

Concerning Sub-Community Support discussions- though we appreciate a moderator's willingness to help out, please do not post in these guided discussions unless you are trained in those areas. If you'd like to join in for your own benefit, you are most welcome, but if you have a Moderator badge, it's less 'intimidating' to members if you use your member account. Some of our Sub-Communities deal with very sensitive topics. Popping into a discussion room to say, 'Hey everyone! I know it's a rough time for you right now, but you'll be better soon!' is not helpful, though we understand that your intentions are to be supportive.

Thank you, everyone, for your cooperation and your efforts as moderators. You are all much appreciated! heart

Tagging @RumpleSteeleSkin @dancingRainbow45

@AutumnLeigh

Thank you for this addition to my post! We should definitely not be announcing in rooms with already ongoing discussions! It is rude! Also could not agree more, if you are not the discussion leader trained in the topic, do not go in with platitudes, because that does not help, and it can be very upsetting to hear someone belittle you or compare your experience to a movie. I like your idea of them going on a member account, that way members are not intimidated.

Something else I want to add is that if it is not your discussion, and you have not been asked to do so, please do not moderate that discussion. Each discussion leader has different rules of their discussions. For example, some of my discussions, members can get heated, I don't tend to warn those actively participating because it can shut them down, which is not productive!

Tagging some people who should see this thread and give their brilliant insights

@MissZ @Heather @Jenna @Amelia @Laura

@BurningEmber Also I would like to add if it is not your discussion and you have not been asked to please leave the validating to the discussion leader, it's nice to have help BUT I like to summarize when I can and it's hard to when someone else is does all the summarizing.

And if you want to be part of the discussion that is alright BUT it's a discussion and needs to stay on topic, please do not barge in the room with things like "lol" or something random.

@TheAsh

Definitely agree. Having many people validating can be confusing for the members and leave the discussion host feeling awkward. Make sure the discussion leader needs help before you try to help. It is appreciated that people want to help but sometimes discussion leaders don't like that. And yes, laughing in a support session that requires a serious reaction is not appropriate.

@BurningEmber @TheAsh

Thank you both for your insights! I agree that some of our 'regulars' may be known to one of us and if given a chance, they drop their guard and become awesome supporters. It's important for 2 mods or 2 leaders to be in 1 on 1 with each other so we can communicate and support everyone! laugh

@AutumnLeigh i concur on that statement regarding having another mod barging in whilst there's already a preexisting chat. i think it's safe to say that's rather rude when that happens; it's unfortunate as well because it can not only intimidate and spook a lot of participants unnecessarily but can also be rather disruptive. although admittedly...by no means am i a "really new mod", but i am quite new to leading discussions. and generally speaking for me personally they've been fun thus far, although i have had the odd one or two that haven't gone as well as say i would have liked. no negative feedback! it was just hard for me as someone fairly new to this gig to keep the discussion topic the main focal point when there's so many people deviating onto different tangents. so i have, you know, hollered at a mod before. said to them "you don't have to participate if you don't want to! just help me nudge it in the right direction if things go pear shaped and a stray". which on days where i've not been feeling the best for one reason or another...has actually genuinely really helped me out :\