Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Huddles Season 2: Sign Up as a Facilitator for a Closed Group!

SoulfullyAButterfly August 31st, 2022

_1661956576.FINAL Huddles BannerVideo.png

After our successful end of our trial run of closed groups called Huddles, we are ready to start working on season 2 of the 7 Cups Huddles project. We have used our first experience to work on finalizing the best structure and other aspects of these closed groups.

Research indicates that recurring group meet-ups - where the same participants meet up regularly to chat about common issues/interests for 8 weeks - can be helpful for mental health. Our users and facilitators agree - and now, you can also join this project not as a leader gaining experience, but as another Huddler (Huddles participant) forming closer connections!

What are Huddles?

A Huddle is a closed group where the same participants meet up to provide continuous support and social connection to each other over multiple weeks.

Goals for a Huddle

• Feel less alone and more supported

• Explore issues in more depth

• Learn from other participants

• Receive consistently high-quality listening support

Structure of a Huddle

A huddle will have 10 members and a facilitator as well as a co-facilitator. Different huddles will meet at different times and days for 8 weeks. Each huddle session will focus on one topic and last for 60 minutes. There will be one Huddle closed-group session per week, but all users and facilitators will have a private forum space to stay connected.

Our initial 6 huddle groups included the following topics: Relationship Support, Anxiety Support, and Mindfulness Support.

The Role of a Facilitator

An effective facilitator promotes group discussions, interaction, sharing, and exploration. Discussions are powerful and helpful mechanisms for active learning, recognizing patterns, various challenges, and ways to tackle them. Group chats facilitate the exploration of new ideas while getting comfortable acknowledging, valuing, and embracing everyone’s thoughts and contributions.

Facilitators are not expected to be experts in the chosen topic or to be behavior coaches. The primary role of a facilitator is to ensure a safe and open environment for participants to interact and explore a shared topic.

The Role of a Co-Facilitator

Co-Facilitators share the role of a facilitator and can be viewed as an additional support leader in the group. When 2 leaders lead a closed group, they can support one another as well as provide efficient support to the group.

Who Can Be a Facilitator/Co-Facilitator

Are you interested in leading a huddle and fostering powerful discussions and interactions? The facilitator role might interest you if you:

• Have an idea for a Huddle group that can benefit from being run as a closed group for better support and other benefits.

• Are able to fully commit to being responsible for leading the group for 8 weeks - this is important because the group flow will depend on your presence as the facilitator.

• Have experience with the topic you select and are interested in supporting others with their experiences regarding the topics.

• Are interested in being part of members’ journey of self-exploration and growth.

• Are dedicated to ensuring a safe, therapeutic space by ensuring an inclusive environment for all participants (Training/Guidelines will be provided).

How to Sign Up as a Facilitator

We encourage you to apply for this key role if you:

• Are a Verified Listener, OR

• Have already been a Group Support Leader at 7 Cups - including group moderators, room supporters, and Sharing Circle hosts, OR

• Academy Graduate, OR

• Peer Supporter

Please note that being able to commit to being present as a leader for 8 weeks and having some experience or passion for the support topic are important factors to keep in mind too!

Recommended Time Slots for Huddles

While will consider your personal availability, we encourage you to run your Huddle groups during these times which are recommended due to interested users’ availability. All of these times are in the Eastern Daylight Timezone (EDT - New York)

• Mondays from 9 AM - 12 PM

• Mondays from 3 - 9 PM

• Wednesdays from 6 - 9 PM

• Fridays from 9 AM - 12 PM

• Fridays from 9 PM - 12 AM

What Topics Can A Huddle Cover?

We are ready to consider Huddles for both support as well as lighthearted topics. We will help you finalize the topic as well as its overview and per session agenda before the official launch. For now, you are welcome to sign up with any ideas.

Here are some topic suggestions:

Books, Music, Movies, General Anxiety, Social Anxiety, Grief, Loneliness, Autism, Stress Management, Parenting.

We are currently finalizing the following topics with confirmed facilitators: Mindfulness, LGBTQ+, Disability, as well as a writing/journaling based group.

We would love co-facilitators for the following topics: Autism, LGBTQ+

Benefits of Being a Facilitator

As mentioned above, facilitators can be a guiding force towards fostering positive, therapeutic discussions. The structure of a huddle makes it easy to amplify your efforts - you can reach many members at the same time. And you will be supported by your fellow facilitator and the group’s members too.

Other benefits include:

• Get a Certificate to acknowledge your efforts which you can attach to your resume as a unique volunteering effort.

• Get to work closely with 7 Cups community admins and develop your leadership skills.

Interested? Fill out the sign-up form here.

Note: We are looking forward to having these Huddles launched during September. Please ensure your availability before sending in your application.

Sunisshiningandsoareyou August 31st, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Woo what a wonderful opportunity, thankyou for explaining everything about the role as a facilitator, Soul.🦋

Rooting for everyone applying!

SirenOfSerenity September 1st, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Just completed my application, hoping my topic suggestion and application are both accepted 🥰

jasishereforallofu September 2nd, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly That iss absolutely wonderful ❤️

CalmWaves3939 September 2nd, 2022

I was a huddle facilitator for the first season and I have to say it was an amazing opportunity and it was lovely to do and take part in ❤️ Wishing you all the best with huddles moving forwards! If anyone has any questions they would like to ask a previous facilitator feel free to reach out 😄 I wish I could take part this season but college is starting and I don’t have my timetable to work around yet 💕 I will keep an eye out for future huddles

Walkerwall636 September 6th, 2022

@CalmWaves3939 How can someone other than facilitator take part in huddle

Sunisshiningandsoareyou September 6th, 2022

Hey @sequinstar636, you can participate in one of these from your member account, click here for more information.

FrenchMarbles September 2nd, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

Oh em gee I hope I get accepted

vivelespatates September 3rd, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly
I can co-host on topics such ptsd/trauma, lbgtq (particularly gender-diversity and transgender) and eating disorders. any of both, teens or adults.
I can open to more topics for teens, such bullying, disability, student life.

The reason why I would be happy to do those topics is that I know how it is hard topics to talk in our regular rooms versus other topics such anxiety or depression, and I think the closed group would be very benifical for members talking things more stigmatized or often limited in other rooms due to the nature of content potentially triggering.

My availabilities within the recommended time slots are Monday and Wednesday - 6-9 pm , Friday 9-11 pm. If you have some folks looking for an experienced co-host in those times, you may want match us.
September 8th, 2022

@SoulfullyAButterfly

I had a question, are you allowed to do this role with behaviour points?

SoulfullyAButterfly OP September 8th, 2022

@LlamaLizz we can figure it out if you are interested!