Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Feeling guilty

AlwaysStruggling December 29th, 2022

My mom died in September and I'm having a very hard time with this. I got married September 21 and my mom broke her arm on the 25th we went to the erand got her patched up and took her home. I stayed with her to take care of her. My mom had copd and used oxygen at night. So the 26thshe woke up and was complimg her arm hurt so I gave her half a pain pill that the doctor prescribed and ten she went to take a nap. I checked on her several times throughout the day and she seemed ok. But I went to check on her before I went to sleep and she had stopped breathing. The paramedics really couldn't do anything.

I'm hang a lf

AlwaysStruggling OP December 29th, 2022

Sorry for formatting issuse. My phone is going crazy I feel guilty bc everyone keeps telling me she should not have been taking the pain meds with her copd. I was suppose to be taking care of her and I didn't read the precautions of the medication I just gave it to her. I didn't demand she put her oxygen on before she took a nap

And I didn't try to wake up sooner. I feel I failed taking care of her I'm not how to get through losing her but thinking it's my fault hurts so much worse..

toughTiger6481 December 29th, 2022

@AlwaysStruggling

This was prescribed by a physician ............ and you probably (as most people would) assume that both the doctor who wrote the prescription ............AND the pharmacist who filled it should have alerted you to ANY counter issues / side effects. with her medical history or other medications treatments she may have had.

Unless as the new trend seems to be........ First prescribe and then pretend the patient did not have other conditions etc...........

We could all go back and forth playing what if and if only in many situations. This was not your fault and those playing "oh she should not have had that medication".................. what are their credentials ..... Dr. / pharmacy degree ?

I find it heartless to tell a family member that without the expertise to back that up. People already question what could i have done differently without added guesses on top of that.

I am sorry for your loss

AlwaysStruggling OP January 9th, 2023

Thank you for your reply

I'm sll struggling a bit but am meeting with a counselor once a week.

I appreciate your support

Cathylistens January 10th, 2023

I'm so sorry for your loss x guilt is a normal reaction, and the suddeness, the shock, you've really been through an ordeal. Keep talking, let it out. Unfortunately there is no way to avoid grief, you have to go through it and it hurts xxx be kind to yourself