Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

The "Pay it Forward" Chain

ASilentObserver February 15th

Hello everyone, 

This week we are celebrating Random Acts of Kindness Week. This post is part of the February Group Support Event: Kindness, Courage, Connection

Life can be a whirlwind, and sometimes, a small gesture can leave a lasting impact. This happened to me a few months ago, and it serves as a constant reminder of the power of paying it forward. Today, I want to share one such story. 

As a listener, I listened and supported a member who was going through depression. It was so challenging for them that they didn’t feel any hope of overcoming depression. After a month or two, they went inactive, and no updates. I was concerned. After 6 months they came back and they told me how their life changed positively. They have a caring partner and a new job and they feel hopeful again. And, they decided to become a listener to support others. 

This experience taught me two valuable lessons:

1. Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, can have a profound impact. We never know what someone else is going through, and a simple gesture can brighten their day or even change their perspective. This gesture can be as simple as listening and supporting someone, sending a thank you or appreciation message through the PAT form, or anything in between. 
  2. The ripple effect of kindness is real. When we pay it forward, we inspire others to do the same, creating a chain of positivity that spreads far beyond our initial act.

This isn't just about me, it is about you too. Think back. Has someone ever shown you unexpected kindness? Did it make a difference? Now imagine the impact of that kindness rippled outward, touching countless lives.

Here's your challenge: Share your own story of receiving or giving kindness. Then, choose one small act of kindness to do and pay it forward. You never know how far that ripple of kindness might reach

I encourage you to share your own story of receiving or giving kindness. Let's inspire each other to be the change we want to see in the world. Remember, it doesn't have to be grand gestures. A kind word, a helping hand, or even a simple smile can make a difference.

pay-it-forward.gif

@suryansh @Heather225 @fristo

Sunisshiningandsoareyou February 15th

@ASilentObserver

Aw love the idea of paying it forward with kindness and love, and when everyone becomes a part of this, it could become a huuugeee chain filled with endless compassion and gratitude creating massive ripples community-wide. What a wholesome thought to have!🥰

I actually do pay it forward here using the peer appreciation form already for as long as I remember the form's existence lol. For every single appreciation I receive via this form I send out 3 (for different peers, as often possible) hehe.

For other times, I don't believe in waiting to recieve kindness and then to give it back or pay it forward. Initiative and leading with example paves the way mainly, because if everyone waited to recieve kindness first lol a lot of us would be simply waiting and that's not helpful when the vision is to create a massive kindness chain and the goal is to live with gratitude and keep kindness at your core value. 

Soooo pay it forward as often possible, but also don't shy away from initiating the chain of kindness and positivity. We just never know who needs it when plus plus plus, there's always a great opportunity to be kind and show some love to a fellow hooman being, I feel!💖

cosygamerssociety-poem.gif

ASilentObserver OP February 16th

@Sunisshiningandsoareyou That's great and what a lovely approach, sun! You care deeply about spreading kindness and positivity within the community. Your dedication to paying it forward and leading by example is truly admirable. Thank you for leading us <3 

Sunisshiningandsoareyou February 16th

@ASilentObserver

you-rock-you-rock-gif.gif

tranquilechoes February 15th

@ASilentObserver

Hey there,

Thanks for sharing such a touching story and spreading the message of kindness. It's amazing how a simple act of compassion can have such a profound impact on someone's life.

Your story reminded me of a time when I was going through a rough patch, and a friend unexpectedly reached out to check on me. Their kind words and support gave me the strength to keep going, and I'll never forget how much it meant to me.

In turn, I've tried to pay it forward by being there for others who might be going through similar struggles. Whether it's lending an ear, offering a helping hand, or just being a source of encouragement, I've seen firsthand the power of small acts of kindness in making a difference in someone's life.

As for the challenge, I'm definitely up for it. I'm going to make a point to reach out to an old friend who I haven't talked to in a while and let them know that I'm thinking of them. It may seem like a small gesture, but you never know how much it could brighten their day.

Thanks for inspiring us all to spread a little kindness wherever we go. Together, we can make the world a better place, one small act at a time. 🌟

@tranquilechoes Thank you so much for sharing this. I am so glad that my story could evoke such positive feelings in you. I completely agree that even the smallest gestures can make the biggest differences. I hope your friend appreciates your message and feels supported. <3 thank you for being here with us Echoes. 

tranquilechoes February 16th

@ASilentObserver

I am glad to be a part of the community 🤍

Heather225 February 15th

some of the most powerful stories that have left the longest impression on me are those of our members who came here in pain, found comfort and understanding through a listener and felt so inspired they chose to give back as a listener themselves. helpers beget helpers and that's the secret magic of this community.

@Heather225 I agree H. It truly makes all the difference to know we are making a positive impact.

Countrygirl095 February 16th

@ASilentObserver love this

seashell145 February 19th

@ASilentObserver

That's a really nice post Observer! I wholeheartedly agree with the ripple affect of kindness! I have been able to show kindness to many people because many people have been kind to me. Then I've seen the people I have been kind to have tried to give it back to others.

As I first started to reach out for support in 2018, one listener here changed my entire experience about being heard. He was separate from the general 7cups population or culture, he was different. I read his bio and it turns out he had cancer. I've found another person being kind to me in general in another application, she too had cancer in the past. I've seen these dying people have the more generosity than others, while they are the ones who I think deserve more attention and care.

After that experience from being heard from the first listener in 7cups, I have taken listening seriously and have tried to pay many people my full attention. I tried to help this same listener trying to give back and listen to him, but I didn't have much experience with emotions and I was kind of cowardly to feel the depth of despair. 

But over time I have developed it too, and have tried to give the kindness back to people. 

I also wanted to help people with BPD, because I think they suffer the most and I would have needed support if I had the disorder. I could've ended up like them, so I tried to reach some hands to them. But it's a bit tricky to help them, they're not much co-operative.

samitas February 19th

@ASilentObserver
I love this, such an important reminder of positivity!