Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

feeling worse by the day

sadkelsey September 10th, 2014

so here it goes this is my mental health back story. i was a pretty happy kid until I was 9 and my parents told me and my two younger brothers that they were getting a divorce and I was really upset and started crying a lot and taking all my stress and anger out on my family and eventually I realized I can't do that so I started taking it out on myself self harming before I even knew that existed so I would twist my thumbs backwards and I ended up actually breaking one once and then my parents made me start seeing a therapist so then my parents realized that their arguments made me upset and decided against their divorce so now they are together and basically miserable. ok so that's when it all kind of began. but three years ago I started seeing myself as a lot larger than other girls my age when I wasn't and I knew about binging and purging so I tried it and sort of mastered it but I only did that maybe once a week for the last three years. but I started really self harming and cutting a little over two years ago and it wasn't a minor thing I would do it in the shower until I passed out from blood loss then often times keep going. I also always did it on my upper thighs so until I was in a bikini no one ever saw it. I am 306 days clean right now though. but one day I was wearing pajama shorts and my mom did and sent me back to the same therapist who is now probably my best friend. I was diagnosed with depression and severe anxiety in almost all fields but worst in social situations and in the past two years I've been on 17 different medicines and I am currently on 4. starting maybe last Friday my suicidal thoughts became a lot more prominent they never really left but I was able to go to school and do normal things without the contemplation of suicide constantly but right now that's all that's on my mind. I've had a boyfriend since March so about 6 months now and we are really close and for years before we were dating he was my best friend but then I started liking him and he admitted he'd liked me for three years as of march and here we are he is definitely not in the relationship for the physical things but we have gone fairly far in those ways (ive given him a blow job) he's the only one outside of my family and drs that knows I have depression and anxiety we were almost going to have sex once but I realized he doesn't know that I ever self harmed and obviously if he saw my upper thigh area he could tell in an instant so I said I wasn't ready and he was ok with it.. so back to eating disorder stuff. this summer it got really bad I'm 5'9 and I was 140 a perfectly healthy weight but I starved with a little bulimia and ended up losing 35 lbs so now I am 105. and my boyfriend asked me why I've gotten so bony and said that he misses my thighs and when I was more than just skin and bones and so I'm really scared to tell him about how i actually lost the weight but I hate lying to him and telling him it's a medicine that I'm on that's making me so skinny so I don't know if I should tell him or not and I am scared he will be dissapointed in me. I also have a concussion right now so my brain is really messed up and I don't know what to do because homework just make it worse but homework is a priority and my teachers don't care about my mental health. so I'm stuck and super stressed. any advice?

sadkelsey OP September 10th, 2014

also forgot to mention that I attempted twice last year

mrmisunderstood September 11th, 2014

You mentioned that you have been on many medications over the last couple of years. Did your suicidal thoughts show up after you changed medications? Some depression medications can actuallycause suicidal thoughts in teenagers, so it's important to communicate with your doctor if you're having these kinds of thoughts so they can decide if you need to change to a better medication.

As far as discussing it with your boyfriend, there's really no easy way. I'd explain to him that this is something serious you want to discuss before you go into all the details. I know you're afraid of scaring him away, but keep in mind that if that happens, he's really not the right person for you. People have a hard time understanding what it's like to have depression if they've never had it. There is however a game over athttp://www.depressionquest.com/ which is like a choose-your-path book where you have to make decisions as someone with depression. As someone with depression myself, I have to say it's pretty accurate at portraying what it's like to be depressed and it may come in handy as a tool to explain depression to your boyfriend if he's open minded about it.

sadkelsey OP September 13th, 2014

I ended up telling him today and it went really well actually he was really supportive I didn't change meds near when the thoughts became more prominent though

mrmisunderstood September 11th, 2014

You mentioned that you have been on many medications over the last couple of years. Did your suicidal thoughts show up after you changed medications? Some depression medications can actuallycause suicidal thoughts in teenagers, so it's important to communicate with your doctor if you're having these kinds of thoughts so they can decide if you need to change to a better medication.

As far as discussing it with your boyfriend, there's really no easy way. I'd explain to him that this is something serious you want to discuss before you go into all the details. I know you're afraid of scaring him away, but keep in mind that if that happens, he's really not the right person for you. People have a hard time understanding what it's like to have depression if they've never had it. There is however a game over athttp://www.depressionquest.com/ which is like a choose-your-path book where you have to make decisions as someone with depression. As someone with depression myself, I have to say it's pretty accurate at portraying what it's like to be depressed and it may come in handy as a tool to explain depression to your boyfriend if he's open minded about it.