Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Disclosure. To tell or not to tell

Skits13 September 2nd, 2014

Needing some opinions. I have had Bipolar Disorder for well over 20 years. I went a longtime undiagnosed. I also have PTSD.

I have always been very careful who I disclose my illness to. I've been burned a few times.

I'm in a fairly new relationship and everyone keeps asking the same question. "Well have you told him yet?"

So this is what I've done. He knows I'm being treated for PTSD, meds, therapy and a psychiatrist. He also knows I do get depressed every once in awhile.

No I have not come right out and said I have Bipolar Disorder. He needs to get to know "me" first and yes I'll be honest, I'm afraid to tell him. He's a wonderful man who I don't think would judge me but I'm still afraid.

Some say I just add to the stigma around mental illness. I don't like to think so but maybe I do.

For me what it boils down to is labels. As far as I'm concerned labels cause stigma. I can tell someone that I have problems with my moods and I take medication for it and most wouldn't give it a second thought but if I were to say I have Bipolar disorder, I'm instantly crazy because of that label

Why is that?

Jules211 September 21st, 2014

There is stigma around all mental illnesses - it doesn't matter if its depression or ADHD or schizophrenia or Bipolar disorder....and unfortunately is the reason why many people don't seek help for their condition. What makes a difference is educating people about mental disorders. Some assume that if you have a certain condition, ie. Bipolar, that you are crazy - because of what they see or read in the news. Even though most people with that disorder do not act like that.

It's your choice whether to tell someone or not. I can't say what the right decision is - that is up to you. But if you do choose to share, it might be helpful to educate them about your condition so that they understand - and not just base it off the negative stuff that goes around.