Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Worrying about a member

LunaKat26 August 3rd, 2023

So I would make this thread on my listener account but I’m too scared that I would be doing something wrong. Either way getting on with this thread, I’ve got a question. So if I’m worried about a member do I just sit there and like worry? Cause I can’t really do anything to help, crisis lines aren’t necessary in that case, but I’m still worried. A listener had told me to end the chat in that situation, but that wouldn’t feel right to not know what happens to them. So am I just supposed to worry about them? Or like….? I’m just really now sure. If someone could answer that would be great, thank you!

Yougotmyback August 3rd, 2023

Hey, I think it's good to have queries. That way we get to learn better! Also, I appreciate your true concern for the member. 🤍

Here are certain things you can do if the chat gets stuck and you're unable to find a way. And as you said, crisis helpline wasn't necessary. So, you can -

1) Ask the member about their needs

2) Refer the chat to another listener if you feel someone else might be able to understand their issue better

3) Try and get some help in the 'Listener Support Room'

4) Follow up every now and then and ask if they're doing okay

Sometimes just listening to the member helps a lot, too.

Also, don't forget to take care of yourself. You can ask for peer support if you feel the chat has been hard for you!

Hope it helps. 🤍