Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Stuck between a rock & a hard spot…

DarkFairy0316 April 16th, 2023

Life is sometimes easy…other times, not so much…I’m feeling like I’m being taken under right now, & I’m trying so hard to fight it, but I feel like ‘it’ is stronger then me right now. I have to work to make money, I really like my job, & while I know what to do, o feel like I am constantly learning as well & I am ok with that & love that about my job. It does have its issues…I just had someone who wanted to speak with a manager, refused to leave a message, was adamant to speak with one right now…so I got a manager, & my manager, while not yelling at me per say, told me that I couldn’t be bothering him while he was busy…I’ve been at this job 2 years & 1 day…with this same manager-he interviewed me, hired me…he knows me enough to know that if I’m ‘bothering’ him, it’s because there is a irate, rude, pushy customer on the other end, who won’t take no for an answer…which was the case…so I asked him if he still wanted me to take a message for this person who didn’t want to leave one…I am at a loss here, on the verge of crying. I KNOW he’s busy, it’s a busy day, under ANY other circumstances, I’d be taking messages, BUT this person was insistent! So I was basically getting it from the customer, AND getting it from my boss…what am i supposed to do? I’m at a loss…I know my job, he knows I know my job, that I’m competant…& should know that if I’m ‘bothering’ him, it’s because I’ve got either an emergency, or someone who’s being pushy.

And this was after he changed a co-worker & my schedules, & didn’t tell me about it…so no one was there first thing, & the other manager didn’t know either…she called him then called me to ask if I could come in early, which I did, in a panic because I hate being late. Now, I’m wondering if they’re gunning to fire me…this is reminiscent of an old job…it’s worrying me…I know that no job is perfect, but when co-workers start messing with another co-worker, that isn’t cool…I don’t need any help in feeling alienated, made fun of…my mind does that pretty damn well on its own with any outside help…

innateJoy9602 April 23rd, 2023

@DarkFairy0316

That does seem very overwhelming. It sounds like you were doing the best you could.

Difficult customers are already tough to deal with alone, so I’m sorry your manager wasn’t understanding.

I’m sorry you had to deal with that situation. 💜

juliak1968 April 23rd, 2023

@DarkFairy0316

That's a strict work environment; but now you know what they expect so you will need to try to be extremely assertive when dealing with any customers like that one. That was nobodies fault as you used common sense but learned they play hard ball and in a since it it a mistreating of the customers right to speak with upper management - maybe next time make them a three week out appointment then run it by your boss when he is rational.

You did the right thing!

Blessings, Day

Dude135 April 23rd, 2023

That’s a unfortunate position to be in. You were completely right, however sometimes things like this just happen. I’d just do the best you can to perceive and seize upon future opportunities that may arise that can adresss and correct situations like this in the future.