Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Starting to journal, I need help on a decision.

Ashley2508 March 18th, 2023

I wanna start journaling for my mental health. The problem is, I don’t know how I want to do it. Should I do it digitally or on a physical book? The both have their pros and cons. What do you think?

Ashley2508 OP March 18th, 2023

@VC Thank you!

sunnyWriting4806 March 18th, 2023

@Ashley2508

Sort of depends on what you prioritize. Online journaling is convenient and you don't really need physical resources however it can be quite distracting if you are prone to be distracted. Paper journaling can be resource consuming but it can help you really focus on journaling and also it's just more tangible to have as a physical object instead of something online.

cindyzheng1344 March 18th, 2023

@Ashley2508 Hey there! As someone who's been journaling for years, I'm a big fan of pen and paper. Writing things down by hand can be really therapeutic, and there's something special about flipping back through old journals and seeing how far you've come. Plus, you can customize your journal with stickers and other fun touches to make it uniquely yours. When you're typing on a computer or phone, it's easy to get distracted by other things like social media notifications or email alerts. But at the end of the day, it's all about finding what works best for you and your needs. So give it a try and see how it feels!

Sunrise110 March 18th, 2023

Excellent advice! Very impressive.

empathicPanda9436 March 18th, 2023

@Ashley2508 whichever you are comfortable in writing with pen on paper in the classic way to put your thoughts on place but our mind works faster then our hands so it can get tough sometimes while typing seems easy but sometimes we just want to stay away from any digital distraction so whichever you might like but the fact that you are initiating journaling is what attracted me to your post do let us know what you choose and thankyou for sharing it will motivate others to journal as well.

keep it up😊

Ashley2508 OP March 18th, 2023

Thank you all for your suggestions! I’ve decided to go with the pen and paper route. I’m very excited to start my journaling journey. Thank you all again for helping me out!

gregariousBunny4035 March 31st, 2023

@Ashley2508

It really is up to you.

I use a digital journal app called Penzu. I've used it for years and for me it works great.

Why not just make a start and see which one you like best?

You could start by keeping a notebook and pen handy and just writing in that whenever the mood feels right.

As with many things in life, you just have to start.

But I do think there is tremendous value in journaling. It helps me to collect all my thoughts and process them more clearly.