Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Question about listeners

BumbleKitty October 17th, 2022

How long do you think that a talk with a listener should be?,

RarelyCharlie October 17th, 2022

@BumbleKitty There are no rules about the length of chats. Personally, I don't accept new chats unless I have at least half an hour free, and I prefer to have an hour free. Members I chat with regularly sometimes chat for only a few minutes, or just send occasional messages. The chat system is very flexible about this.

Charlie

L1ly0ftheValley October 17th, 2022

@BumbleKitty - It's up to each individual really, for me it's usually an hour if I'm taking a chat request. If it's a returning member it's random really, usually it's just an update message here and there.

LLils October 17th, 2022

Good question, TY

AffyAvo October 17th, 2022

Like others have said, it really depends!

I think if a listener is picking up a general request though, they should at minimum be prepared to chat for 15 minutes. Sometimes the waits can be long and it's rather frustrating if they need to leave 10 minutes in which I don't really think is enough time to listen to someone in detail for most issues. Still, if that's all what they have it's nice they at least state if they do need to leave.

XxFireOrangexX October 17th, 2022

@BumbleKitty

I think my usually last about 45 minutes to an hour. Some of my statistics would be between 30 mins and 1,15h. It truly depends on the member and their story. Sometimes it is just a quick rant, sometimes they just need some emotional support and to talk, so the conversation might be dragged out a little.

I also tend to wrap up a chat that has been more than an hour, just because I start to lose focus, and dragging out a chat like that doesn't benefit anyone. :)

TheTinkerofminds October 17th, 2022

I always try and keep each chat within 30 minutes but we always go as long as we need to it really depends on the chat

Ferroloki October 17th, 2022

I think it definitely depends on the member and listener. Sometimes, a member just needs a short chat to avoid loneliness or to check in on their own health, but they could also need lots of time to sort through their own emotions and find detailed ways to work with their struggles. There are also some listeners who would prefer one time chats, and other listeners who are okay with someone going back to them for help.

So yeah, TLDR is that it really depends on the member and listener. And I'm honestly really glad the flexibility in the chat system allows that variety.

Energy001 October 17th, 2022

For me, I just used the time I'm free for the moment and talk to the person using that time. But in the first message I tell the person how much time I have available and how long the conversation will last