Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Movie recommendations!!!

helloOrange2643 October 5th, 2023

Anyone Please suggest some good movies to watch

Tauriel77 October 12th, 2023

@helloOrange2643

Coda 😍 

cyanPlatypus6370 April 13th

@Tauriel77  I want to see this so much!  Can anyone tell me where it is available or how I can watch it?  Is it online somewhere?  Can a person buy a copy? 

vikanater October 14th, 2023

the sound of music!

@vikanater  My fav of all favorites!  This is possibly my most favorite movie ever.  Definitely if we are limiting only to musicals :)   Great suggestion!  

TooMuchOrNotAtAll October 15th, 2023

@helloOrange2643

Sorry for the late reply, but:

Absolutely, movies have a wonderful way of uplifting our spirits. Here's a list of English movies that might bring you courage, motivation, and a positive perspective:

1. The Call of the Wild (2020) - A great family movie about a big dog who experiences a big shift in his life from domestic to wild. (If you haven't read the book, what are you waiting for. There is the Call of the Wild and White Fang. Both are by Jack London and they are kind of inverted stories.) (Available on Disney+)

2. The Grey (2012) - Plane crash survivors must survive harsh weather and a pack of hungry wolves as they trekking through Alaska from where they crashed in the mountains. There is a great overall message about willpower and human nature. (Available with a Max or Spectrum subscription or on prime video for 3.79)

3. The Next Days (2010) - A community college professor becomes determined to break his wife out of prison when she is wrongfully accused of murder. He creates a detailed plan to break her out and move their out of the country once she has run out of appeals. He has three days to pull everything off and the police are hot on his tail. There is no room for error. (Available on Peacock with subscription or prime video for 3.79)

4. Luce (2019) - The title character is a young black man who was adopted by a white couple. The film is about him challenging a black teacher who seems head strong in her biases. He writes a paper with the intention of upsetting her and this creates a conflict between the teacher and himself but also with his parents. (Available on prime video for 3.99)

5. Black and Blue (2019) - A rookie cop/ex-military returns to her hometown, New Orleans, only to find that things have only worsened. The cops are corrupt and she ends up witnessing something that could bring the precinct down which puts a target on her back, especially considering she caught it all on her body cam. The movie is basically her trying to get the evidence from point A to point B which the police and local gangs are all trying to kill her. (Available for free on Tubi)

6. The Entitled (2011) - A story about a struggling college graduate who can't find work and living with his also struggling parents. When things get desperate, he recruits two other college kids to kidnap three rich kids and demands 3 million dollars for ransom. The situation gets out of control quickly. (Available for free on Freevee)

7. Full Metal Jacket (1987) - A war movie centered on Marines during Vietnam War. It's clear the guys have no idea what they signed up for and it's about how they cope with the physical and mental strain it all puts in them. (Available on amazon video for 3.79)

8. This Is Where I Leave You (2014) - When the father of a family passes away, his wife tells his three sons and daughter that his father's last wish is for the four of them to live together under one roof. This brings of external and internal conflict for each of them. (Available on Netflix)
  9. The Gray Man (2022) - An action comedy about a man recruited from prison for a secret agency. When the man that started the program and recruited him is forced into retirement, all of the agents from the programs are targeted. (Available on Netflix)
  10. Disconnect (2012) - Basically a Crossroads story about how several charatcers' are negatively affected by the internet. There is identity theft and cyber bullying to name a couple. It's centered on the impact. (Available on Plex for free or prime video with subscription)
  11. Puncture (2011) - A lawyer with a drug addiction takes a case against a corporation that produces medicine. It's a very serious film and corruption in business as well as fighting personal addiction. (Available on Pluto, Roku, Tubi, Peacock and Freevee for free)
  12. Boss Level (2020) - An action packed movie about a man who finds himself stuck in a time loop where he is hunted by top grade assassins every day. He must figure out why he is stuck in the time loop, reserve the process and save himself, his family and potentially the rest of the world. (Available on Hulu)

And of course you have your classics like Catch Me If You Can (2002), The Rocky Series, First Blood, The Godfather, Heat (1995), Shawshank Redemption (1994), Life as a House (2001), The Count of Monte Cristo, A Home of Our Own, The Town.

I'll go on forever if I don't stop now. Hope that helps.

purpleWatermelon8470 October 15th, 2023

X-Men apocalypse and the Outsiders!!!!

niaaaaaaang October 15th, 2023

@helloOrange2643 Ticket to Paradise (romance/comedy)

Ashena October 15th, 2023

@helloOrange2643 The scariest movie I've seen for awhile was called *Vivarium.* It's sci Fi, alien themed terror!  

occultime October 15th, 2023

@helloOrange2643

honest theif 2023

bubblegumL4314 October 15th, 2023

@helloOrange2643

if anyone's in the mood for romance movies, therefore trilogy is beautiful!!!1

bubblegumL4314 October 15th, 2023

@bubblegumL4314

the before trilogy*********

before sunrise, sunset, midnight 

@bubblegumL4314  I had not ever heard of this trilogy so I had to look it up :) 

This trilogy features Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy.  Each film is rated R, in USA rating system. 

Before Sunrise (1995) ,  Before Sunset (2004) ,  Before Midnight (2013)

Tobias5 October 15th, 2023

@helloOrange2643

Angel's Egg is a beautifully animated film about hope, however I'd recommend watching it when you have the energy to watch a 1.5 hour film with almost no dialogue.   

JoyfulPumpkin October 15th, 2023

I don't know if someone already said it, but if you are into horror movies, I highly recommend the movie Sinister, only the first one. I also enjoyed the movie Talk to me.

calmAvocado5127 October 16th, 2023

Alice in borderlands is such a good series !!! But movie I’d say divergent