Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Mental Health Awareness Month: Compassion matters

ASilentObserver May 8th

Hello all, 

Compassion is a word tossed around a lot, but what does it mean? In simpler words, compassion is about understanding the suffering of another person, feeling empathy for their situation, and reminding them that they aren’t alone.

In a society that seems to feel harsh and divided, compassion acts as a bridge. It helps to connect with others on a deeper level, fostering stronger & healthier relationships and building a more supportive environment to reach out and get support.

Compassion has a profound impact on our mental and emotional well-being. When you practice compassion towards others, you cultivate a sense of interconnectedness and belonging. It helps to boost our self-esteem and reduce feelings of being alone. Those who practice compassion towards others are more likely to experience lower levels of stress and anxiety and better well-being. 

How can you practice compassion?

Compassion is a skill that we can all develop. Here are some steps to get us started:

1. Practice active listening: Pay close attention to what others are saying, both verbally and nonverbally.
  2. Consider different perspectives: Try to see things from another person's point of view.
  3. Offer support what you can: Even small gestures of kindness can make a big difference.
  4. Forgive yourself and others: Holding onto negativity hinders compassion.
  5. Start small: Show compassion to yourself and those around you every day.

What are your thoughts on compassion? Share your experiences and thoughts below.

brown-best-friend-adventure-instagram-post_1715148664.png

Tinywhisper11 May 8th

@ASilentObserver yep! Words have the power to make or break someone ❤ a kind word or gesture can really make a difference.

I practice compassion on this site, I try to keep an open mind, I'm not one to judge, no-one has the right to judge anyone. Also I live in a old folks nursing home, so I sit and listen to the other residents here, they can talk forever sometimes😂😂 they love showing me photos of their families, they are very sweet, and you see their face light up when their talking ❤ I try my very hardest to show kindness to everyone, cause we all need and deserve it ❤