Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How do you stay motivated and positive during the winter/holidays?

Michelh1996 November 23rd, 2023

How do you stay motivated and positive during the winter/holidays? I'm curious!

Now that it is colder, wetter and darker outsite it can be hard to stay in the right mindset. On top of that, holidays are around the corner. People are preparing for that and looking forward to it, but still there a couple weeks to get through with a lot of things that can be very gray or gloomy at times. Even when you get to the holidays, it can also bring pressure or be overwhelming to be well prepared, on your best behavior and deal with family or the challenges that come with these days. Talking consumption, interaction/loneliness, self-care and others.

I find this very difficult myself as well. For example this week, because of the cold I am getting little cuts in my lips that are annoying and will not heal because they open more everytime I eat. I finally have a comfy position and my room is warm, having to get up and get something or go outside: the motivation is just lower. Want to make the effort to go for a healthy walk, it rains again... 

All that stuff you know, the little things that can be big things if they're building up or if your mental health or conditions put more emphasis on them. I was having a very slow and unmotivated week myself, that's why I thought of this topic and wanted to write it out because I think it affects a lot of people during these days. 

What kind of advice can we give each other? :)

glisteningLight2506 November 23rd, 2023

@Michelh1996 Staying positive and motivated during the colder months and holidays can be tough. Here are some simple tips:

1. **Stay Cozy:**
   Make your space comfy with warm blankets and soft lights.

2. **Set Small Goals:**
   Break big tasks into smaller ones to feel accomplished.

3. **Move Around:**
   Exercise boosts mood. Do indoor activities or short walks.

4. **Connect with Others:**
   Talk to friends or family. Attend online events to stay connected.

5. **Take Care of Yourself:**
   Relax with baths, reading, or hobbies you like.

6. **Be Mindful:**
   Watch what you eat, buy, and see on social media. Keep it simple and joyful.

7. **Make Traditions:**
   Do things you enjoy during the holidays, like baking or watching movies.

8. **Get Help if Needed:**
   If winter affects your mood a lot, talk to a mental health professional.

Remember, small changes can make a big difference in how you feel.
Michelh1996 OP November 25th, 2023

@glisteningLight2506

I think especially to set small goals and tasks can be super important because the feeling of having accomplished something, no mather how small, can really make a day better or make it stand out in your mind. That generates more positive energy. :)

But it's harder sometimes to be active since things can be a bit gloomy and putting you down so talking about it is definitely a crucial point.

Interaction with people in general can make a big difference in that sense!