Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Are Listeners Supposed to Make Diagnoses?

CaptainOfficeSupplies April 15th, 2023

I was chatting with a listener who started trying to diagnose me with certain issues. I pointed out that this is not what listeners are supposed to do and they started getting defensive, saying that they knew what they were doing because their mom is a therapist and that they chose "this job" because they want to. I think they blocked me for continuing to say that listeners aren't supposed to make diagnoses if they're not a licensed medical professional, and especially not if people don't ask for them. Is this something that a listener should be reported for? I can only remember a part of their username since they blocked me.

Skansly April 15th, 2023

@CaptainOfficeSupplies

listeners are not supposed to advise according to guidelines at 7 cups , so you can ask them to stop . if you want you can report,

CaptainOfficeSupplies OP April 15th, 2023

@Skansly How do I report someone who blocked me?

Skansly April 15th, 2023

@CaptainOfficeSupplies

https://help.7cups.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Skansly April 15th, 2023

@CaptainOfficeSupplies

support and feedback > submit a request > report listener

AffyAvo April 15th, 2023

@CaptainOfficeSupplies Unfortunately you need their username. I always open a 2nd tab when chatting with a new listener and keep it on their profile. You can also just copy their username and paste it as a note on 7cups or wherever else you like.. If they are inappropriate (and giving medical advice, such as a diagnosis is inappropriate) take a screenshot, this would also give you their username. You can also decide whether or not to report later, depending on what happened next.

CaptainOfficeSupplies OP April 15th, 2023

@AffyAvo Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure to do this from now on in case something like this happens again.

April 15th, 2023

@CaptainOfficeSupplies hey Captain, I'm super proud that you have written about the issue you have faced with regards to a listener. I'm sorry about your experience since as listeners we are only meant to actively listen to your problems, neither advice nor impose opinions but only just listen and be there with you. Hence providing a diagnosis such as you would in therapy is completely off the charts no matter if they are themselves therapists or their parents, or anyone who they know. That was a bad experience, and you deserve to receive justice for the same. Whenever you have a chat that is inappropriate, harassing/threatning, imposing in this manner or facing any other issues, the rule of thumb will be to immediately get a few screenshots - to save their name along with a few images of the issue you are facing and you can try mailing them to community@7cups.com. You can mail them stating the issue, username, screenshots (as much information as you have). We also have a member to listener report form which I link here: https://docs.google.com/forms/u/0/d/e/1FAIpQLSffQk1RhknozmquuEYiE_fZDp2ynNz-VB4XXBbRrrKmV57V5w/closedform.

I'm really sorry for your experience once again. I hope you know you are deserving of good quality help. I am one forum tag away in case you need to reach for anything! Take care ❤️