Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

#2 Philosophy

JanusPi January 3rd

#2: What does it mean to live a good life? What factors contribute to a fulfilling and meaningful existence?

I think living a good life involves with finding happiness, meaning and contentment. However, I wrote a poem once about the paradox of trying to find contentment. I think all of our final goals should be to settle down and be fulfilled and content with what we have and not try to wish or pursue for more. However, when we get contentment, we lose the meaning to life. I guess it is debatable what is the meaning of life. To me, I think that our lives has meaning because we are always pursuing after a bigger goal or a passion. But think about it... What happens when we actually achieved our goal? Do we find another goal to pursue after? In my poem, I wrote that, the unending loop of chasing goals but contentment remains forever elusive. But then when we try to break out of the loop, the once raging fire to live, dies down instead. Is there a way for both contentment and ambition to coexist? As always, if you disagree with anything, please do share! Onto the next part!

I want to share something about Chinese philosophy. Yin and Yang are fundamental concepts that represent the dualistic nature of existence. The main idea is "dynamic balance". Yin is associated with passivity, darkness and the moon. Whilst, Yang is associated with activity, light and the sun. We can connect these with coexistence of contentment and ambition. Yin representing contentment and Yang representing ambition. This is just theoretically speaking and not practically done by me so... Anyways, the meaning of dynamic balance is that the two sides are not static and rather in a cyclical motion, like the sun and moon! So here's the idea, we as humans can have a cycle of setting and achieving goals, finding contentment, reassessing oneself and setting new aspirations. Keep our lives in motion so that both contentment and ambition can coexist!

Anyways, sorry for rambling for so long. Do tell me what you think about the theory though and what does it mean to live a good life for you? Thanks! <3

Tinywhisper11 January 3rd

@JanusPi ok my brain is very tiny, and I understood what you were saying, I think. Me what I believe the meaning of life is happiness, as long as theirs happiness in your life then you have everything you could ever need ❤

JanusPi OP January 3rd

@Tinywhisper11 

That’s definitely a very sweet and effective way to think about life. But for me life shouldn’t be all about happiness. If the journey is bitter, our destination feels more satisfying and we will feel much happier for what we have gone through!

@JanusPi final destination! Like when we are retired? Or in heaven?

JanusPi OP January 3rd

@Tinywhisper11 

Our final destination will definitely be paradise no doubt! No matter heaven or retirement, it’ll be full of bliss!

@JanusPi I'm only 23 but I've had a life time of suffering. I'm now retired and have a quiet happy life. I've found my safety my happy place here on earth. I hope you can find that too ❤

JanusPi OP January 3rd

@Tinywhisper11 

I’ve read your story and you are the most qualified person in the world to have the best time for the rest of time! I’m glad you found happiness! And thank you!💕

@JanusPi hugs you tightly ❤

VIVEKANANDANM January 3rd

@JanusPi Your reflection on the dance between contentment and ambition is truly insightful! Your poetic exploration resonates deeply, capturing the essence of life's paradoxes. The Yin and Yang analogy beautifully encapsulates the idea of dynamic balance, emphasizing the cyclical nature of our pursuit of fulfillment. Thank you for sparking introspection and inspiring us to consider the delicate harmony between aspirations and the serenity of contentment. 🌟💖

JanusPi OP January 3rd

@VIVEKANANDANM 

Thank you!💕