Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Help with motivation

mcorbettd January 7th, 2017

I need help with someone encouraging me so my anxiety and depression don't confine me to a life in which I'm miserable

blitheSun94 January 7th, 2017

Hey there!

My heart goes out to you, I definitely understand what this feels like. (I haven't worked out in 6 months). Well, I did some digging and came across a really great article on motivation. You can read the entire piece "Get Off Your Butt: 16 Ways to Get Motivated When You're in a Slump" at Zenhabits.net. In the meantime, here are the bullet points:

'When I fall out of exercise, due to illness or injury or disruption from things going on in my life, it

10ship January 7th, 2017

@mcorbettd Actions speak louder than words. There are things you need to do every day. Fix breakfast, get something from the grocery, etc. Pick one thing you need to do and do it even if it's hard. One step at a time will get you where you want to go.

Wumbo January 8th, 2017

@10ship ^^^^

@mcorbettd

Baby steps are important! When there are a lot of things you need to get done, and you don't have any motivation to get them done with, it's easy to get overwhelmed. Baby steps can help with this. For example, you need to clean your room, but it's difficult to get up. What can you do? Take one minute, just one, and force yourself to get up and get as many things as you can done. After that minute, take a break for 5 minutes. Then get up, and for another full minute, finish what you can get done. Just small baby steps.

You have some homework to do, but there's so much of it! Start on one class, one assignment. Break up the assignment into small bits and pieces. Tell yourself, I'll finish two entire sections (or how much you can manage), for example, then I'll take a break. Then I'll come back and do two more sections, and take a break. Do this with all of your homework assignments. It's hard to focus sometimes, but just tell yourself that for those two sections, you need to focus. After those two sections, you can get to take a break and do whatever you want. Feeling motivated can be very tricky, especially with depression, so taking small steps and breaking things down into bite-size pieces can be very helpful.

mcorbettd OP January 13th, 2017

@Wumbo

Thanks guys, that was actually really helpful!

Wumbo January 13th, 2017

@mcorbettd

Glad to hear that! laugh

ImaginaryPainting January 14th, 2017

@mcorbettd

Hello! If you still need to talk to a listener, you can send me a message. smiley

Take care!

blitheSun94 January 18th, 2017

I want to thank you for this post. It really helped me get myself back on track with my own goals. Dream big!

mcorbettd OP January 19th, 2017

@blitheSun94

No problem! Glad that I could be of some help for others having the same problem as me

blitheSun94 January 22nd, 2017

@mcorbettd

Of course. ♡