Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I don't know

SunnyFox207 June 29th, 2023

I've got this online friend that I've been friends for almost a year with, and of course we've got all the arguments that happen and stuff like in a regular friendship, and this one is not too different, really not a big deal, but it just feels like it's gonna be worse. This time I was the one who actually said something wrong that would make her upset at me, unlike all the other times when she just started overreacting. Honestly I feel like what I said was okay. It would be alright for me to be excited that there are more people who share similar beliefs as me, since I'm not religious and basically everyone in my area is. I only know 1 girl in school who isn't religious, everyone else is Christian. And I mean that's good that they have a religion to follow, and I never would want to be rude to them because of their religion, but it gets tiring. Every time when you ask for advice being told "pray to God" even when you don't believe in a god. So I feel like it would be fine to be like "Wait... there's other people in (place) that don't believe in a god!? That's so cool!!!" But apparently it's disrespectful? Idk. I mean it's just not regular for that to happen, and I don't get mad when she says stuff like "Oh well you don't believe in God, you don't have any morals" Like that's not true, but at the same time nothing to get upset over! I just don't get why she would be so upset/mad at me for this. Idk what to even do about it, I don't want to apologize since I end up being the one who always does that, but I also don't want this friendship to be over.

Mya000 June 30th, 2023

@SunnyFox207 It's completely normal to experience conflicts and misunderstandings in friendships, even with online friends. It's evident that this particular issue is causing you some concern and confusion.

In this situation, it's crucial to communicate openly and honestly with your friend. You can start by expressing that you didn't intend to be disrespectful or hurtful with your comment and that you value the friendship. Let her know that you simply wanted to share your excitement about finding people with similar beliefs, but you understand if it came across differently to her.

Acknowledging her feelings and perspective can be a good way to approach the situation and find common ground. Both of you might have different cultural backgrounds or life experiences that contribute to your responses. A sincere conversation can help clear up any misunderstandings and strengthen your friendship.

Remember, it's okay to have differing opinions. If the friendship means a lot to you, making the effort to have an open conversation and finding resolution is worth it. Good luck, and I hope things work out positively for you both.

SunnyFox207 OP July 1st, 2023

@Mya000 Thank you! Honestly unsure if the friendship means much for her, I just ended up writing an apology paragraph and sending it at like 2 am haha... so that went just fine but didn't make any progress surely, and I'll probably now never know what I did wrong.

Mya000 July 1st, 2023

@SunnyFox207 You're welcome! It's understandable to feel unsure about the significance of the friendship for her, especially when you haven't received a clear response. It's good that you took the initiative to apologize, even if it didn't lead to immediate progress. Take care ❤️