Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Family Members as Carers

convivialPlum6966 November 22nd, 2017

So I have carers for some of my personal care, but for parts of it and for the rest of the things I need help with my family, mainly my sisters help out. Tonight was my sisters awards evening for school and she wanted me to come, so I did. But that would mean that one of them (I have two sisters) would have to help me to bed, as it would be a late night. So when they have to help me to bed, I become part of the evening to do list. "Lock the doors, make the coffee, help me in bed...". And I'm getting fed up of being part of this list. Needing the help is bad enough you know, feeling like helping me is nothing more than a job that needs to be done, just makes me feel worse. I know that it is, logically, but it still hurts. Makes me feel like I'm nothing you know. Like they don't like having to help me, which in my logical mind I know is true, but it doesn't make it hurt any less. They're my family and I love them, but I just feel so guilty, for what I need them to do. So I should be ok with this, I should be able to deal with the way they feel. They have a right to feel stressed and upset for looking after me, I'm far to much work I know that, but it still hurts. I don't know if I'm making sense, or if I'm overreacting or being selfish. And I just don't know how to cope with this right now, I'm really struggling.

I was just wondering if anyone out there who has their family members do some or all of their care, knows how I can cope with this, and the tentions it causes? Or any others that you might have with family as carers, that you might want to talk about.

It's all just going round in my head, right now, and I just feel like I'm going a little crazy. I appreciate your reading this, and responding. :)

DaveMcGrath November 24th, 2017

My brother gets quite a bit of assistance from family. He struggles with it a great deal as he suffers from a neurological disorder that requires a great deal of medication. These meds really do alter his moods and make him difficult to be around. This has alienated a number of family members away from him.

I'm fine with him, but we live on seperate continents.

Time has moved on and my brother is no longer a boy or young man when he had parents, grandparents, and aunts and uncles to rely upon. All his brothers and sisters have moved out and in most cases moved on. It's something he deals with quite frequently and is only going to be a bigger concern for him as time goes further on.