Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

My mother still belittles me and beats me up at 20

Aqua7281 October 6th, 2023

Hello there, I am a college student, in the sophomore year.

My mother's abuse gets worse as I age. She always insults me, beats me up, and compares me to others. It's always been like this, but this regular attitude started since high school. She wants me to be perfect, to look feminine, to get fit, to do chores all the time in the house, she wants me to be r**** or to die. She always threatens me with being kicked out. She always sends me out to my grandma (my dad's mom) because she wants to punish me. She blames me for her brother finding a girlfriend, after being single for decades. She has a family locator app, ever since my senior year (when I was 18/19) at the advice of her colleagues, and because I always skipped classes when others did (helped by the teachers, yet I was blamed for being a 'problem student'), and still has to pay up the debt for my tutoring from that year...

She wanted me to teach her English (we're from a non-English speakimg country), and now she wants to go to a language school teaching English, where one of my colleagues' daughter, who is barely 18. She is a high achiever, she will probably take a full mark in the graduation exam, she is preparing for med school, she is enrolled in driving school, she dates, and she wears tons of money for being an ESL assistant teacher, and has been in that position since the age of 14. My mom says this girl will be a better teacher than I can be.

Believe me, I want to do all of that. And I wanted to move out. But I couldn't. I have so much to think about, my college, my personal issues, I cannot manage my relationship with her either. I know I am partially at fault....

SolarGenerator October 8th, 2023

Sounds like you could use someone on your side @Aqua7281

BetterDreams657 October 12th, 2023

That is a lot for one person to handle, especially as young as you are. You are already doing all you can and more. I don’t know if it’s possible where you are, and if there is anyone who can help you with that, get a college dorm room, get a safe space for you. You deserve to be free from demands and work on achieving your own goals and finding your own success without anyone berating you for it. Let alone raise their hand to you. I hope you have someone on your side.