Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Major life changes in a blink for our whole family

About 3 months ago my 10 year old daughter had what we thought was a typical stomach bug, but ended up with multiple hospital trips, new and more severe symptoms and a few new diagnoses that have put our lives in a tailspin. She went from a bug to a suspected severe infection, to not being able to eat solid food for 6+ weeks, to spending the summer needing to relearn how to eat, to having non epileptic seizures 20+ times a day and migraines that cause her to pass out. I’ve had to switch to work from home, we had to cancel summer camps and summer vacations. She is working so hard to get control of her body and her mind and has done so well, but it’s truly been traumatizing for all of us. My 11 year old son also fractured his hip two weeks prior to my daughter’s illness and he is still recovering from it- only cleared for light activity. He’s been amazing with his sister… jumping to help when she has an episode and keeping an eye when I have to step away. He’s been so great with her, but it’s been really hard for him to see her go through this. My husband is a fixer and just can’t understand why there is no magic pill to make it go away. Its also been very lonely for our family. People treat you like you have the plague and stop showing up. Stop calling. Don’t help in any way. No visits. My our family has been disappointing with no offers of help or support. Personally I’m overwhelmed and exhausted. My daughter is so appreciative of the support we have been offering her but so frustrated with it all too. We have strong faith and I honestly am blown away by her ability to fully rely on God and just go with the flow as much as she can. I’m inspired by her every day but man do I wish in could take these struggle from her!

Tinywhisper11 August 1st

@creativeChinchilla2011 seeing your child suffer is one of the hardest thing a parent can ever go through, bless you. It's funny how close you can be to family and friends, then when your in need they all dissapear😥 I'm so sorry you don't have more support. I'm proud of both of your children, and I've never met them ❤ children are always so much stronger than adults when it comes to these things, I will keep you all in my prayers ❤ and I'm right here for you,we all are ❤ gives you a giant tiny hug ❤❤

just one little suggestion, perhaps one day you or your partner could take the boy maybe to a cafe, just the two of you. And let him know how proud you are, and encourage him to talk about any fears or questions he has, or his emotions on everything that's happening ❤❤

JamieRoseX August 1st

@creativeChinchilla2011

That sounds awful. You're valid in being frustrated, I would be, too. I hope things will go well for you. I don't know your daughter, but from my experience children are always little fighters and manage to handle almost anything as long as they have support from their parents. And you seem like a very loving parent!

I wish you all the best in the future :)

toughTiger6481 August 1st

@creativeChinchilla2011

As a parent that went through a major thing like that I understand ...... all involved want each day to be the day it is over..... things go back to normal etc. 

It is frustrating when people do stop showing up and being supportive as i found help needed is often down the road ....... i needed help that was offered at the onset of issue but i found were often hollow offers.  ........but when it is a lingering issue they forget or are hesitant to offer because they do not know what to expect.  I think others also if they do show up realize this could happen to anyone ... them too.

I wish people understood more that even a small visit or help can really give you and spouse a break.  Even a hour to not think about everything can feel like a vacation