Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Holidays and being a child of divorce

affablePlace1546 December 23rd, 2023

Hey, everyone! I could really use some advice

my parents just got divorced this summer, and this is going to be my first Christmas navigating the whole two-houses thing. It's a bit weird, and I'm not gonna lie, I'm feeling a bit lost. I've got this 50-50 custody thing going on, and whoever's closer picks me up from school. It's like a weird tag team between my mom and dad. But here's the thing—I've always been more of a "let's play soccer and forget about everything else" kind of person. Now, it feels like I've got to balance this whole Christmas cheer thing between two different houses. I mean, I get it; people have been doing this forever, but it's new to me. Any advice on how to make the most of it without feeling like I'm constantly bouncing between two worlds? How do you handle the holiday split between divorced parents? I've always been a fan of keeping things simple and fun, but I'm open to ideas. Oh, and if anyone's been through this, how did you deal with that first Christmas after the split? Did you feel weird about it? Because, honestly, I'm kind of dreading the whole "opening presents in two different places" thing.

Thanks a bunch in advance! 🎄✨

Mya000 December 31st, 2023

@affablePlace1546 Hey there! Thank you for sharing what you're going through. Navigating the two-house dynamic can be challenging, especially when it comes to holiday traditions.

It's completely okay to feel a bit lost and even to dread the idea of opening presents in two different places. Change is never easy, especially when it comes to traditions we've grown up with. The good news is that you're not alone in feeling this way, and it's okay to take some time to figure out what works best for you.

One suggestion is to communicate your feelings with your parents. Let them know that you're finding it a bit challenging and that you'd like to work together to make the holidays as enjoyable as possible. Maybe you can create some new traditions that you can carry between both houses, helping to blend the two worlds a bit more.

Also, consider focusing on the quality of time you spend with each parent rather than the quantity. Whether it's playing soccer, watching a film, or just hanging out, those moments can become special memories.

Change is a process, and it might take some time to adjust. Feel free to reach out if you want to talk more about it or if there's anything specific on your mind. Wishing you a warm and peaceful holiday season!