Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Family

Tatumallen July 14th, 2023

Hello everyone

A little background information I am 17 and I live with my dad, step mom and brother. My mom loves in a different state and I only see her once a year for 7 weeks. Me and my mom don't have a good relationship her and my brother are best friends and tell each other everything. Well I only still visit her hoping they our relationship will improve but I've been proved wrong every year since I'm 18 next year im thinking about not even visiting anymore all me and her do is fight and argue. Well this summer I went up there and she has a new boyfriend and all she told me for 7 weeks is how she would rather her bf be with her than me my mom and him live together and he was at work they work together and see each other all the time. Then I was in my room making a gift for my bf and her and her boyfriend came in and dumped ice water all over me and the gift and ruined it and just laughed. I've talked to my mom about everything but she calls me a brat and a disappointment. And today I was with her bf going to surprise my mom and he gives me a lecture on how bad of a daughter I am and how I should be nicer to my mom and how I'm the problem not my mom. I get an attitude with my mom but only because of how she treats me her last boyfriend would body shame me and other stuff and she would just laugh and tell me it was a joke and my mental health got so bad. Every time I visit it gets so bad when I can't do anything I enjoy. I would stop visiting but they are having a new addition to the family and I want a relationship with my new sibling but I can't deal with how I am treated here.

SolarGenerator July 16th, 2023

@Tatumallen That can suck to have to be more mature than your elders.

Sparklingdiamonds July 17th, 2023

@Tatumallen

I wish I had something supportive to say, I feel bad for you having to deal with such insensitive people. I'm sure that everyone has something to improve but it's not all on one person like your mom's bf is directing it toward you. Ur mom definitely has a part to play too (seriously she's the mom and her role is much more responsible). But sometimes the "grownups" don't see it like that and they treat you (the child) more like a responsible adult then even themselves..it's easier to shift blame then for them to deal with their part of the issue I guess. It sounds rough and stressful for you but if you hope to be part of the new addition then hang on a bit longer. Hugs to you ❤️

reliableWest8997 July 20th, 2023

HI

I read this earlier this morning. I wasn't fully awake so I decided to wait or not write anything. I have to say that I second what others have mentioned here. I don't think it's fair for your mother and her boyfriend or even prior partner to treat you this way. It's actually commendable that you live on your own already or in a different state. It seems like you have things together better than the adults in your life, and I am sorry you had to put up with such childishness from the adults or immature and frankly abusive behavior. I don't know the reason you moved, but I think you are right, you should follow your instincts and do what is good for you. If people don't treat you with respect or kindness, you show them this is not ok and don't bother going to visit her as much if you feel this is best for you. You can still try to maintain some relationship, I honestly don't know if it will be very easy based on what you mention, but it sounds like you might have to maintain your distance as it sounds toxic. I do hope that in the future your mother will realize how wrong she is.

reliableWest8997 July 20th, 2023

oh sorry, you did say the reason you moved, my bad.