Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Supporting my dad

fairmindedWisteria3450 March 24th, 2021

Hi everyone. My dad lost one of his best friends a few days ago due to Covid and he's really sad about it. He tries to be strong and hide his emotions but it's really hurting him. I try to talk to him and support him but it's hard, if anyone can give me advice on how to help him I would really appreciate it. ๐Ÿ’œ

MidwesternCalmSeeker March 24th, 2021

@fairmindedWisteria3450 Sometimes just hearing an "I love you' is enough. Do you know what his favorite snack or fast food meal is? Surprising him with something you know he likes may be appreciated. How about a big hug and acknowledgement that you know there's nothing that can be done to make him feel better, but that you are here to support him, and to let you know if he needs anything at all. Small gestures can mean more than you know.

fairmindedWisteria3450 OP March 24th, 2021

Thank you so much! I'll follow your advice and keep you updated ๐Ÿ’œ

MidwesternCalmSeeker March 24th, 2021

I'm sure you'll find lots of ways to show your love and support for your dad, @fairmindedWisteria3450 - it's awesome that you're trying. So many times, people get shy around family or friends who are grieving, because finding the words can be hard, or seem hollow compared to the sadness you see them experiencing. You are awesome!