Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Parents don’t respect my autonomy

FrostFeather April 24th, 2022

I am an adult that has the misfortune of not yet having the means to live on my own. I would consider it fortunate if not for my parents’ authoritarian treatment.

It’s like they don’t understand I’m an adult and instead continue to treat me like a child. They continue to think they know better than me, and I have no option to just ignore their “advice”. They force me to think that they know best. They even reprimand me for things that have absolutely nothing to do with them. It’s none of their business; I have no idea why they think it’s necessary to make my problems their problems. They believe what they’re doing so strongly that they will hold me at metaphorical gunpoint until I accept what they say. It’s degrading and terrifying.

I think I would know myself and my life better than anyone. I don’t know if they think they’re helping or if they think I “need to be taken down a peg”. They’ve reduced my self-esteem to the point where I get anxiety attacks at the drop of a hat. They think it’s caused by the generalized anxiety disorder that I don’t have nor have I been diagnosed with, but I’m actually suffocating from fear and frustration!

snowylovegood April 24th, 2022

@FrostFeather Your fear and frustration are real, it sounds like you are feeling stuck being as a child when you want to move forwards and take responsibility for your life. I understand how hard it is to feel like you are being controlled or even gaslit. Is there anyone else in your life you have or you could talk to about this situation?

FrostFeather OP April 24th, 2022

@snowylovegood

Unfortunately, I don’t really have anyone to talk to. Everyone else in my family is on my parents’ side for some reason, and my friends are to busy to talk to me anymore. I do see a therapist, but she can’t do a whole lot to help the situation.