Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Antidepressants

courteousLunch82 December 27th, 2021

Today my mother confronted me about the antidepressants she discovered I was taking. She had found them in my room as I was visiting for the holidays.

"Why are you taking antidepressants?", She asked.

I didn't know how to respond. Why else would I be taking them?

Luckily due to the effectiveness of the meds I was able to respond calmly and not get defensive about how invasive she was being.

But, really. Why else would I be taking them? I figured it was obvious due to my history and behaviors.

Do I really hide it that well? Or is it just that people refuse to see what's right in front of them?

(Relocated due to forum reconstruction 03/31/2022 @Sher217)

Linognathus December 27th, 2021

Hi there. If I’m the mum, it’s possible I would ask the same (but softer I guess). It’s not that I want to deny what I already seeing. It just I want a confirmation. Is it yours? Do you really take it? I don’t like to make assumptions, so I always ask. I could suspect it based on what my daughter behaved, but still, I would ask.. maybe that is a bit insensitive of me.. but I would ask rather than beating around the bush and being sad blaming myself for not being a supportive mum to the extent my daughter is having depression. I guess I will be sad after I had her answer, and I would react and plan my next move based on her answer as why she is taking it- is she facing a big problem in her life currently, is she would be sitting an exam in nearest time, did she having a break up or something..

I don’t mean to defend your mother but I always believe that all mothers want the best for their daughter, they just don’t really know how to do it properly. We don’t really have classes for that no? They just did what they could, with good intentions but bad executions.

But I wish you’re doing well with your life and I wish your mum could support you after she knows your condition.. wishing you the best :) xoxo