Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Recovery downs

willingClementine8601 April 26th, 2022

Hi guys. I’ve been recovering for almost a year. Today is not a good day.

Currently I’m struggling with self love and my body image. Today I feel like no one would ever love because of how much weight I gained. Thinking logically I know that there’s no correlation, but deep down it’s a different story.

These thoughts of never being enough never leave my head, which worsens my depression.

I'm scared that I will never stop thinking this way.

I’m trying to love myself, but I feel so disgusting today. I don’t know what to do.

Going to the gym just reinforces my old toxic patterns.

Any suggestions?

caringSun8693 May 3rd, 2022

@willingClementine8601 I totally understand and can relate to the feelings of feeling unworthy because i feel ugly. I am very proud of you for recognizing the fact that there is no correlation between the two. That is an amazing step to take. I have also been in recovery for a year now and body image is very difficult to deal with. Something that has stuck with me is that "your body is the least interesting thing about you". So basically, as hard as it is to comprehend, no one really cares about your appearance. They care about your personality. I know that it is hard to believe in the moment but maybe wearing comfortable clothes or lighting candles or feeling something soft/warm can help soothe your thoughts

caringSun8693 May 3rd, 2022

@caringSun8693 also it is ok to not immediately love yourself. Try accepting your body or just feeling neutral about it. That in itself is a huge step to take. I am so proud of you and please feel free to pm me if you need anything

babygargoyle May 19th, 2022

I’ve been “recovered” & “weight restored+ a lil more cus I’m way older than when my ed started*. I struggle most days. I can’t do “gym” exercises anymore because yeah big trigger. I do flow yoga at home now which REALLY helps, and walk a bit. I’ve been with my husband for seven years, and he met me when I was in the deepest depths of my disorder. He says he’s just as attracted to me now as he was then (which most of the time is too hard for me to believe). He gives me SO much love, so sometimes I do believe him. I don’t think I can ever love myself, but I work at it every day. It’s my potentially never ending project. I’m working towards body neutrality. This is my body. It is what it is. It takes care of me, and carries me through life. You are not unlovable. You will find someone who loves you for you. Self compassion is hard, I mean I’m still working on it, but I truly believe working on it/practicing it every day will eventually truly help.

babygargoyle May 19th, 2022

Ooops missed part of my first sentence 😅 it’s been about 5 years since I’ve recovered!!

willingClementine8601 OP May 23rd, 2022

I’m so grateful for all the replies! You made me feel better, thank you.

I’ve been taking a time out, just reflecting and I can feel this dark cloud pass.

You are truly amazing and reading each one of your words made me feel understood, something that I haven’t felt ever.

I wish you all the best!