Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How to help my little sister who has an eating disorder?

etherealsunflower February 8th, 2019

My little sister is 11 years old and I believe she has an eating disorder. She has been eating less and less since August/September and has lost [weight edited by 24Help1] pounds in 4 months. She won't eat meat and will only eat salad for lunch/dinner and cereal for breakfast. She's very moody and aggressive when I try to talk to her and she isn't usually like this. She gets defensive and angry when I try to get her to eat more. My little sister used to eat so much and especially loved meat! Now she won't even touch meat and will push it to the side of her plate. She only eats a quarter of what she used to. She watches food ASMR to satisfy her hunger and every time she looks in the mirror, she lifts up her shirt to look at her stomach and says she is fat (when she is not). Whenever I change my clothes, she always looks at my body (she might be comparing?). A lot of her friends are really skinny so I think by being with them, she might've gotten the idea that she must be skinny like them. She is so pale and thin that it's scary and I am so terrified for her. I want to help her so badly but whenever I try to talk to her or show my support for her she pushes me away. I can't get through to her. How can I help my little sister? I want to help her so badly!!

claudiaC422 February 8th, 2019

@etherealsunflower

I think the best decision you can make right now due to her age and unwillingness to get help, is to let your parents in on your suspicions and let them handle it. Just being there throughout recovery will mean a lot to her; the journey is long and hard.

Hope this helps, keep us updated!

Best,

claudia

etherealsunflower OP February 8th, 2019

@claudiaC422

thank you, claudia. i'm trying to tell my parents that something needs to be done because this won't stop unless we do something, but my parents are just telling me to leave it alone. The only way they're dealing with it is by being nicer to her but I don't think this is going to change anything so I'm stuck.

EvilRegalsReadToo February 8th, 2019

@etherealsunflower Don't tell her to eat more, it doesn't help. I talk from experience :)

@EvilRegalsReadToo

what do you suggest I should do based on experience?

@etherealsunflower More like... uhm, ask her why she doesn't wanna eat? Often people will open up, even though the answer is "I don't know". Otherwise you can just ask her, if she wanna eat with you maybe and watch a movie or something? Might help? I often find it easier to eat while watching something and with others whom I trust. Find something healthy, something she considers 'safe food'.

*Safe food = something you can eat without gaining or eating too many calories.

I often eat safe food instead of 'real food', bc it's safe, when I don't feel like eating bc it's easier to eat than something that is high cal. It can be cucumber, kiwi, salad leafs, carrots or something that is low cal.

@etherealsunflower Mostly bc if you can make her comfortable with eating safe foods with you, she will be more comfortable with eating more with you. Try to talk to her about not wanting to eat, and never say "why do you don't just eat?" or something like that. Try to understand her :)

@EvilRegalsReadToo

thank you!! I

@etherealsunflower No problem. Always feel free to ask, I will try to answer as good as I can :)