Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

food guilt (tw)

lavenderMoon463 July 12th, 2021

i’ve struggled with my eating at different levels of severity for a few years, and had reached a fairly good place with it. in the past week or two i’ve been experiencing a lot of guilt any time i eat or think about eating. i always feel like i’m eating too much or not healthily enough. my boyfriend always makes sure i eat enough because of my past struggles, so i’m not under eating but i want to. there’s a person in my life who is particularly triggering as they talk about intermittent fasting and they basically don’t eat very much and it makes me worried and feel guilty. i don’t know how to deal with the guilt it makes me feel horrible and i’ve hurt myself because of it recently. how do i work towards feeling less guilty for eating?

julie06 July 12th, 2021

Hello, When I hear you about your eating disorder I know many people can relate you including me. I have struggled from eating disorder for a few years and I am recovered now. I know I am recovered because I don’t feel guilty to eat: I don’t think about the fact that I am eating « too much » or « less ». I have freedom and I don’t control the food I am eating anymore... You are on the right way from recovery because you are aware about the mistakes you made from your eating disorder. The thing is, don’t pressure yourself with food because life is already filled with enough pressure on ourselves and our body can’t deal with that much pressure. I realized that only recently from my recovery. Your boyfriend is such a good person from helping you to overcome this eating disorder. Don’t see food as something bad because it nourishes you, to live in this beautiful world. Food is something we should enjoy and make ourselves happy! Trust me, don’t stress too much about food. Eat when your body tells you to eat and don’t ignore it. :)

hollyhighh August 10th, 2021

I don’t want to upvote this because I agree, I did so because I have the same feels and I understand. I didn’t think anyone else like guilt eats like so :/

Sunshinewithpeace11 February 4th, 2022

@lavenderMoon463

Hello, I can relate to your problem as once I too face that problem of having guilt everytime I eat. But I work on it. I do regular exercise and walking. I feel more confident in my own bodyweight. The food is to fulfill all the needs of each organ of our body. Starving yourself and then overeating always creates mess. So I decided to eat according to my need and felt that every meal play an important role in daily activities. So don't worry you also will be fine soon.