Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

ED Community Weekly Forum Discussion: Awareness and Advocacy 4/5/20

piercetheaiden April 5th, 2020

Hello everyone! In case you do not know me, I am Aiden and I have been gone for a bit but previously I did ED check-ins for a few years and I am happy to be back as a forum mentor and help out by replying to all you lovely people and make forum discussions! With that said, Let's get started on our forum discussion for this week!

This week's discussion is on Awareness and Advocacy

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Introduction: Awareness and advocacy is important when it comes to eating disorders because it can help decrease stigma and also encourage treatment for those who might need it. Asking for help is typically one of the hardest parts of recovering from an eating disorder so having people be educated and advocate for those who are struggling can be a big help for people who are diagnosed with an eating diagnosed.

What ways can I show Awareness/Advocate?

- Participate in Eating Disorder Awareness Week (Feb. 24th-March 1st)

- Challenge myths about eating disorders by providing people with information

- Check out eating disorder awareness groups

- Stand up for what you believe in

Discussion Questions:

πŸ’‘ In your own words, how would you define an advocate? What does an advocate do?

πŸ’‘ How have you seen people advocate for eating disorders?

πŸ’‘ What other ways can you show awareness and advocate for eating disorders?

πŸ’‘ How has people showing awareness for eating disorders helped you and your recovery?

πŸ’‘ Why is advocacy and awareness important for those who have eating disorders?

πŸ’‘ Do you have any other thoughts, questions, or comments about eating disorder awareness and advocacy? Share them here!

Taglist:

@24Help1 @AddictedTealover98 @azuladragon34 @Blessedboy @charmingSky1384 @FunkyFlamingo @Goldcherry2113 @Happy900 @Lexloveslife @parisayano @PotatoSoup @resourcefulPond1641 @SammyLouise @Shanna @SharpiePen @Tazzie @Traveller8 @turquoiseFriend2396 @youandmesohappily

Shanna April 8th, 2020

Thanks for the discussion!

πŸ’‘ What other ways can you show awareness and advocate for eating disorders?

-speaking kindly about bodies of all shapes and sizes
-shutting down or not engaging in diet talk or pro-ED talk
-donating to fundraisers
-sharing informative articles
-educating friends and family
-examining your own biases
-encourage those struggling around you to seek treatment

piercetheaiden OP April 9th, 2020

@Shanna Good answers! I agree heart

Traveller8 April 9th, 2020

How have you seen people advocate for eating disorders?

I've seen them acting passionately. I've seen parents, partners, relatives and sufferers fighting hard to get attention, to be listened, to get funds. I've seen them facing the harsh reality of ignorance and indiference. I've seen them not giving up. And I've seen them winning battles, more often than not smiley

piercetheaiden OP April 9th, 2020

@Traveller8 That is amazing! heart